Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2022, 06:40 PM   #381
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
If Sutter keeps his one game a week plan for Vladar that would make it 56 starts for Markstrom. So 7 less games than last season.
I think that plan is out the window he abandoned that fairly quickly and even changed his tone about it after one his starts earlier this season.

Sutter rides his goalies. Kipper was playing almost every game poor guy. He rode Quick. Nabokov was in the high 60s as well.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:19 PM   #382
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Dude. He's a goalie. Its hard to excel when you only play a handful of games and almost never in a run.

I always remember that quote from Engelland (defenceman) but he was saying that playing 5-7 minutes a night, you're not in the game. He looked terrible, but when his minutes tripled he was fantastic.

Goalies are not Yo-Yos. You cant just yank and throw, there has to be rhythm.
Most backups don’t get a run until they show they’ve done something to earn it. How does Vladar look in practice?
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:54 PM   #383
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I think that plan is out the window he abandoned that fairly quickly and even changed his tone about it after one his starts earlier this season.
By one game a week I think he means more 26 starts.

We're seven weeks in going into the eighth and Vladar has played in six. You might as well count the Buffalo game as a start since he ended up playing most of the game. All Sutter has to do is play him twice in a busy week like he did last week and he's back on pace.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:54 PM   #384
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Vladar now will have started 3 of last 4. Are we still mad at Sutter about not playing him enough? The coach is rewarding performance.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 01:55 PM   #385
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not too early to panic, cause we have Darth Vladar.
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 04:18 PM   #386
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Too early to get excited about Vladar???
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:33 PM   #387
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Oilers broke Markstrom. Dude is awful.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:38 PM   #388
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Markstrom has turned into Mike Smith the last season he played for us.

He is mentally wrecked.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:38 AM   #389
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

He’s beyond brutal. And so is the entire team. My expectations now are finished. We are a bubble team at best.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:32 AM   #390
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've come to wonder if there's a possibility he's dealing with long covid. The way he's just not consistently sharp, makes weird and uncharacteristic decisions, and seemed in that interview unable to really explain what's going on with himself while frustrated that he's not like he used to be, all seems kind of consistent with long covid. It's also the kind of thing that could change him seemingly overnight without being easily recognized or diagnosed. Could it be he caught a mild/asymptomatic case of covid out celebrating after the round one win and the team weren't testing when players no longer had to cross the border? Seems plausible, and could explain the almost overnight change from Vezina candidate to what we see now.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:36 AM   #391
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly I don't know if this is a Markstrom thing or a Flames thing. It just seems like every season after a successful one, things fall apart for the entire team. I fully expect Markstrom to find his game and the Flames to be a 100 point team again next season but for whatever reason everything just sucks this season and it's an ongoing pattern with the team every season following a successful regular season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 07:08 AM   #392
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I've come to wonder if there's a possibility he's dealing with long covid. The way he's just not consistently sharp, makes weird and uncharacteristic decisions, and seemed in that interview unable to really explain what's going on with himself while frustrated that he's not like he used to be, all seems kind of consistent with long covid. It's also the kind of thing that could change him seemingly overnight without being easily recognized or diagnosed. Could it be he caught a mild/asymptomatic case of covid out celebrating after the round one win and the team weren't testing when players no longer had to cross the border? Seems plausible, and could explain the almost overnight change from Vezina candidate to what we see now.
Nothing to do with covid or anything other than....confidence.

He just doesn't have any right now which is evident by the silly decisions he is making.

There is only one way out of it and that is to work his butt off in practice and wait for his chance to redeem himself next time he starts.

For now though its Vladars net.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:25 AM   #393
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Markstrom needs to practice (and play) like its minor hockey. Nothing but basics. Get some solid no frills wins in down the road and work from there.

No word of a lie, he might not right the ship until next year.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:21 AM   #394
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
He’s beyond brutal. And so is the entire team. My expectations now are finished. We are a bubble team at best.
Correct. There will be a lot of teams in that boat this year.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:38 AM   #395
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Correct. There will be a lot of teams in that boat this year.
Parity has never been higher. I agree. But man I am not optimistic that things will turn around.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:07 AM   #396
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I will say again that Markstrom’s puck stopping was fine last night

His decision making hurt. Particularly on the play 13 seconds in

The second one, he started with an unnecessary stick, but I agree with the guy that said the problem was when Mang went all Scrappy Doo

(Still chuckling at that)
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 10:09 AM   #397
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I will say again that Markstrom’s puck stopping was fine last night

The second one, he started with an unnecessary stick, but I agree with the guy that said the problem was when Mang went all Scrappy Doo

(Still chuckling at that)
And both of these decision-making errors were the products of aggression.

It's good that he's competitive, but there's a reason many of the best goalies tend to be calm, cool, and collected.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:11 AM   #398
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Parity has never been higher. I agree. But man I am not optimistic that things will turn around.
Well I'm not sure things can really get much worse and the team is only .500 ish right now.

They are bound to have a run where the puck starts going in with more regularity, and if this turns into a 5-6-7 game winning streak, things will look pretty good in a hurry.

This isn't last years group. If they can get firmly into the 6/7 seed and hold on to it, they will be a tough out.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:15 AM   #399
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
He's thinking too much. He's well aware he's not playing like he should and he's trying to do too much instead of just doing the simple things.

There's times where taking a chance to beat out the opposing player for the puck is worth it but that wasn't one.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:18 AM   #400
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Honestly I don't know if this is a Markstrom thing or a Flames thing. It just seems like every season after a successful one, things fall apart for the entire team. I fully expect Markstrom to find his game and the Flames to be a 100 point team again next season but for whatever reason everything just sucks this season and it's an ongoing pattern with the team every season following a successful regular season.
I had hoped that was a problem with Johnny/Chucky/Gio/Monahan and also due to having guys like Gulutzan/Peters/Ward as coaches. All of those people are gone and the team continues to take a step back when they take 2 steps forward.

More frustrating because the core turnover and the team being veteran heavy. Is Darryl losing the room with his demanding ways? Is Markstrom broken from the Oilers series?

When trying not to panic I look at the core turnover and things taking time to settle. Maybe this team will be among the best over the last 50 games? It is frustrating how old the team feels and there are several prospects having strong seasons which can make this team feel a lot younger.

This good year, bad year trend that started when Treliving joined the team is bizarre.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post: