Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2023, 10:05 AM   #2021
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wonder if the neighbourhood kid I hire to shovel my sidewalks is on top of things. I don’t have the heart (or the guts. Lol) to call his dad and insist he do it in -25 weather, if he hasn’t done it already. I’m thinking a couple of cameras would be a good investment.
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:17 AM   #2022
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It also benefits those who live near those stops, I would take it over the #2 as it got me home a good 20 minutes quicker some days, even with a walk at the end. My wife takes it when the #2 doesn't show up, and it is much quicker than the 3.

It's a bus, it's going to stop occasional. Basically what you are looking for is a taxi.

Yeah, I mean I am opportunistic too so if the bus makes a stop there and it makes minimal stops along the way to my destination, I’d use it, but if it wasn’t an option I’d figure something else out. I just find it slightly annoying to make extra stops to pick up people.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 11:37 AM   #2023
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
I wonder if the neighbourhood kid I hire to shovel my sidewalks is on top of things. I don’t have the heart (or the guts. Lol) to call his dad and insist he do it in -25 weather, if he hasn’t done it already. I’m thinking a couple of cameras would be a good investment.
So you can spy on the neighbourhood children?

Make sure they're putting in their hours of grueling, back-breaking physical labour for the mere pittance you're willing to pay them?

So that you can confront them, point to your surveillance cameras and demonstrate to them that their privacy and agency is gone, they've sold it to you and on the cheap and that you expect a certain amount of work in a timely fashion and if they dont provide it they gets the lash again??

I like it.

Seems perfectly fair and reasonable. If you dont clamp down hard on the perceived freedoms of the Proletariat they'll start becoming encumbered with the belief that they have actual value as opposed to being disposable and easily replaced mere commodities.

Fight the good fight!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 12:08 PM   #2024
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So you can spy on the neighbourhood children?

Make sure they're putting in their hours of grueling, back-breaking physical labour for the mere pittance you're willing to pay them?

So that you can confront them, point to your surveillance cameras and demonstrate to them that their privacy and agency is gone, they've sold it to you and on the cheap and that you expect a certain amount of work in a timely fashion and if they dont provide it they gets the lash again??

I like it.

Seems perfectly fair and reasonable. If you dont clamp down hard on the perceived freedoms of the Proletariat they'll start becoming encumbered with the belief that they have actual value as opposed to being disposable and easily replaced mere commodities.

Fight the good fight!!
It gets better, I have a corner lot, so lots of sidewalks to begin with, but I also make him shovel my 70 year old neighbours walks as well. As far as pay, it’s however much I feel like, whenever I get around to it.

In reality, he does a great job, so something is working. Lol.
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 12:08 PM   #2025
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
The strugs were out in full force today. Driving super slow, struggling with lane placement, white knuckling, just generally looking stressed out with the conditions, which totally annoyed me.
All drivers should be robotic

Unflinching and emotionless regardless of condition

It's a reasonable and realistic ask
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 02:56 PM   #2026
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post

If most of you people could just, y'know, not suck at it with the kind of regularity that you do, that'd be cool and I'm sure Sliver would agree.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 03:18 PM   #2027
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post

I honestly wish most drivers were at the level they are required to be at to obtain a license. Most people who truly suck are people who stopped caring or are too damn scared because they haven't driven in a while.

IMO insurance companies should sponsor more winter performance driving courses and offer more discounts for individuals who have this course and accident free.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 05:35 PM   #2028
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I absolutely dread winter driving.

I had a very minor accident when I was 16 due to likely my first winter actually driving.

But if what DoubleF suggested were real about insurance companies running winter driving courses I’d definitely sign up.
BlindMilwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 06:27 PM   #2029
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I have no problem with winter driving but today was horrible. Multiple people spinning out in front of me and at least one person nearly rear-ended me. Lots of strugglers braking, or straight up stopping, for no reason.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 06:38 PM   #2030
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Saw a truck that was smashed up against a traffic light on Shawnessy Blvd & Shawinigan Drive. Looks like whoever was driving was cruising at a good clip. Not sure how you pull that one off.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 06:45 PM   #2031
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMilwaukee View Post

I had a very minor accident when I was 16 due to likely my first winter actually driving.

But if what DoubleF suggested were real about insurance companies running winter driving courses I’d definitely sign up.
I think that the Ghost Lake drifting course is set up again. It's probably a good place to learn about how well your vehicle responds on ice.

I also saw that AMA offers some winter driving classes. I don't know how they are, but we signed up our son for driving lessons, and he's going to be starting soon so, I guess we're getting the winter lessons as a bonus.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 07:39 PM   #2032
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMilwaukee View Post

I spent a lot of time as a teenager and 20-something ####ing around with my car on empty snowy roads. Ended up in the ditch a couple of times, but I learned a lot about how my cars handled in snow just by having fun. On a related note I really miss the older style e-brake handles. That's the one thing I wish I could take from my old car
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 07:58 PM   #2033
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The strugs were out in full force today. Driving super slow, struggling with lane placement, white knuckling, just generally looking stressed out with the conditions, which totally annoyed me.
Then there's the other type... driving too fast for the conditions, sudden changes from lane to lane, cocksure, and driving without a care in the world, which pisses me off.

Thankfully, I have found most drivers are closer to the centre of these two extremes.

Last edited by flamesfever; 02-22-2023 at 08:49 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:10 PM   #2034
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Then there's the other type... driving too fast for the conditions, sudden changes from lane to lane, cocksure, and driving without a care in the world, which pisses me off.

Thankfully, I have found most drivers are closer to the centre of these two extremes.
I find Calgary drivers to be too aggressive.
Old 02-22-2023, 11:53 PM   #2035
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
You must not drive anywhere near Vancouver, Toronto, or most major US cities then. Calgary is definitely on the timid side of the scale in my experience
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 12:05 AM   #2036
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
You must not drive anywhere near Vancouver, Toronto, or most major US cities then. Calgary is definitely on the timid side of the scale in my experience
I have driven in Minneapolis/St Paul a number of times. Drivers there know what they're doing especially on the freeways. Slow drivers to the left and faster to the right and they know how to merge. In fact I feel a lot safer driving American freeways. In Calgary you never know what you're going to get.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:49 AM   #2037
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

It’s -8 here in southern Ontario right now… and raining. Windchill -16. …. Raining.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 07:25 AM   #2038
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have driven in Minneapolis/St Paul a number of times. Drivers there know what they're doing especially on the freeways. Slow drivers to the left and faster to the right and they know how to merge. In fact I feel a lot safer driving American freeways. In Calgary you never know what you're going to get.
LOL wut? Did MSP join England and nobody told me?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 08:47 AM   #2039
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
That probably means you're too timid.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:54 AM   #2040
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish it was hotter

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote