Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 08-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
droopydrew19
Safari Stan

Exp:
Question Where to sell an engagement ring?

I'm hoping someone in the vast CP community could give me some advice so I can pass it on to a friend of mine.

Her marriage ended two years ago and she has been sitting on an engagement ring that was appraised at a few thousand dollars.

She is now looking to move and is wondering how to go about selling it to help offset her moving costs.

Anyone have any experience with this? Where can you sell jewelry for more than just pennies on the dollar?

Last edited by droopydrew19; 08-17-2015 at 01:21 PM.
droopydrew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pawn shop? Kijiji?

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just a heads up, the appraised value on the appraisal certificate is worth a lot more than the ring actually is worth.

As for your original question, there is a website called I Do Now I Don't https://www.idonowidont.com/
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me_dennis For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
DeanOMac
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopydrew19 View Post
I'm hoping someone in the vast CP community could give me some advice so I can pass it on to a friend of mine.

Her marriage ended two years ago and she has been sitting on an engagement ring that was appraised at a few thousand dollars.

She is now looking to move and is wondering how to go about selling it to help offset her moving costs.

Anyone have any experience with this? Where can you sell jewelry for less than pennies on the dollar?
When I was looking to purchase, I investigated this site: https://www.idonowidont.com/how-it-works

It seems that they attempt to be a broker for those who don't want to get skinned returning it to the jeweler or a pawnshop and to those who want a nice sale price on their ring.
"Typically sellers receive between 50-75% of the retail price for their item. Far better than a retailer, auction house, consignment or pawn shop can pay."

That said, I am not sure how quickly units sell, as you basically have to wait for a potential bride-to-be to have the same finger size and want the same type of cut etc.

Worth a shot perhaps...
DeanOMac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanOMac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you tried the alley behind crackmacs?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Just have her keep it and advertise herself on dating websites as "comes with own ring".
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #7
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I used idonowidont to sell my wife's old ring.

I took the ring back to where it was originally purchased, and they offered less than half of what it was originally bought for, which was about 1/4 the "appraised" value. Crooks. Appraisals aren't worth the paper they are printed on in terms of resale.

I sent the grading certificate and the ring specs to idonowidont for an appraisal (make sure you have one from GIS, if you bought the ring from a half decent dealer it will be GIS certified). Their offer was higher than what I could get locally, PLUS it was US funds. I ended up selling it for around 35% higher than what I could get in Calgary.

I couriered the ring to Idonowidont, and the day they got it they couriered a cheque back to me. It was really easy to do; took about 7 days.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Since Tron seems to have answered the op, I'd like to ask...

I've never proposed to anyone, so I've never really thought about this, but if the woman says yes, and then changes her mind after getting the ring, shouldn't she just give it back? Staying away from situations like 'he cheated while they were engaged', just simply that she realized that his back hair repulsed her a couple months after accepting, should she give it back or not?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

LOL.

4X4 has a back rug.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #10
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
LOL.

4X4 has a back rug.
Hey! My father is from Tuscany! Luckily, it's not too bad.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #11
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Since Tron seems to have answered the op, I'd like to ask...

I've never proposed to anyone, so I've never really thought about this, but if the woman says yes, and then changes her mind after getting the ring, shouldn't she just give it back? Staying away from situations like 'he cheated while they were engaged', just simply that she realized that his back hair repulsed her a couple months after accepting, should she give it back or not?
Yes, by accepting the ring the women is agreeing to marry. If she changes her mind she must give it back. Divorces are different and guy would have to ask for it in the settlement. It's all moot as they are worthless second hand.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote