Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Ardor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default SE Xperia X1 / Windows Mobile 6.1

This phone is set to be released the second half of this year, and is supposed to be running Windows Mobile 6.1. I only have experience with Symbian as I've previously had a P910a and currently have an N95.

I've heard mixed reviews on WM before, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows much about it?

I was waiting for the iphone, however, after checking out the spec sheet on this one, I'd have to say this is my new object of desire!

Ardor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I saw this phone down at CTIA in Vegas recently (behind glass ) and it looks sweet for sure.

Windows Mobile is a mixed bag.. It's functional enough, I find it nicer to use than the Symbian, but it isn't the most stable thing ever. Plus it's very easy to create crappy apps that crash and eat up memory and run in the background and degrade the user experience on the phone, so I think some of its bad reputation comes from that.

Guess we'll see what WM6.1 is like.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Ardor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Was there any speculation at the CTIA about what this unit could cost?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
photon

Exp:

Nope, nothing.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah I saw this phone down at CTIA in Vegas recently (behind glass ) and it looks sweet for sure.

Windows Mobile is a mixed bag.. It's functional enough, I find it nicer to use than the Symbian, but it isn't the most stable thing ever. Plus it's very easy to create crappy apps that crash and eat up memory and run in the background and degrade the user experience on the phone, so I think some of its bad reputation comes from that.

Guess we'll see what WM6.1 is like.
Sounds like every other Microsoft OS out there
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Windows mobile is probably the worst attempt at a mobile OS in the history of cellphones.

Windows mobile 7 looking interesting familiar to...a different device...

Not that I can blame them, if there's one place touch screen technology makes sense it's on a mobile device. NOT a 'coffee table screen'.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I was looking at this before deciding on picking up my N95 8GB. If it lives up to the hype and it performs well come September, I'll be replacing my N95. I haven't had a phone with a QWERTY and I'm starting to really want one.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
Ayrahb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am thinking of freeing myself from the CDMA slavery. Is N95 really as good as people claim?
Old 05-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Ardor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I was looking at this before deciding on picking up my N95 8GB. If it lives up to the hype and it performs well come September, I'll be replacing my N95. I haven't had a phone with a QWERTY and I'm starting to really want one.
I just replaced my SE P910a with a N95 8GB in October '07, and to be honest, for as many cool features as it has, I really miss the QWERTY and the touch screen functions that I had. This numberpad text entry stuff is driving me nuts! Also, as a phone, the 910 was waaaay better. The 910's battery life killed the N95 (and that IS with comparable useage - multimedia apps., etc.) Overall I've found SE devices to have better battery life than most other brands. I'm really looking forward to this X1 . . . I too hope it lives up to the hype - even if it doesn't, I'm pretty confident that I'll at least have a better phone.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Ardor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrahb View Post
I am thinking of freeing myself from the CDMA slavery. Is N95 really as good as people claim?
Like I said in my previous post, I think it depends on your point of reference. I found it to be a downgrade after having experienced a QWERTY /touchscreen device. That being said, it has some awesome qualities too! The multimedia apps. are great! The 5 megapixel camera is pretty exceptional I've found, and it actually takes surprisingly good video!

I'm sure Photon could fill you in way better on the technical aspect of it, but from a "layperson's" point of view, it is a pretty cool device. It just comes down to personal preference I think.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
photon

Exp:

The 8GB version is much better than the previous versions, but I mirror Ardor's comments, cool phone, lots of nifty features, wifi is really nice, battery life sucks, keyboard REALLY sucks (I had an m600i before this which had the best phone keyboard ever IMO, I wish more companies used it).

I have it from work, if I paid for it I wouldn't be very happy with it.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
Ardor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The 8GB version is much better than the previous versions, but I mirror Ardor's comments, cool phone, lots of nifty features, wifi is really nice, battery life sucks, keyboard REALLY sucks (I had an m600i before this which had the best phone keyboard ever IMO, I wish more companies used it).

I have it from work, if I paid for it I wouldn't be very happy with it.

I DID and I'm NOT.

Actually considering selling it and just going back to my P910 until the X1 comes out.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #13
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

The N95 does a lot of things fairly well, but nothing great. A typical downside of a all-in-one.

There's very few phones out there that have a real camera, GPS and wifi so it made sense for me.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #14
Ardor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
The N95 does a lot of things fairly well, but nothing great. A typical downside of a all-in-one.

There's very few phones out there that have a real camera, GPS and wifi so it made sense for me.
Agreed, and those are some of the same reasons I got it. The wifi has definitely been a 'treat'. There are aspects from this phone too that, now that I've experienced them, I'm not sure I'll be able to do without in the future. Although, I'll be taking a step backwards in the camera department going to the X1.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #15
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If you liked that keyboard from the m600, you probably will want to check out the p5 from Sony. Same keyboard as the m600 but with 5 mp camera, wifi/gps and all the goodies (touchscreen too!) in a slider format.

Last edited by Jing; 05-02-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #16
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also, for those looking to get an n95, the 8 gig version was just released by rogers.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote