Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #1041
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMileDJ View Post
I've gone back several pages, but I can't find the answer I'm looking for, so here goes:

I'm now driving a 2014 Hyundai Sante Fe (Sport - AWD). Yesterday, and today, I have to admit that I felt like I had more control than with any previous car. But, I am looking at getting tires. I'm not going to potentially ruin my investment, and I also want to protect myself, my kids and my wife.

Any recommendations on brands, models, etc for my crossover?

ps. Glad I went with this over a truck /thread

after snowfall yesterday I would easily recommend the Blizzak DM/v1 they worked awesome!
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #1042
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love love love my Blizzak WS80s and all wheel drive. I've been using winter tires forever, but on an AWD car for the first time this year. I don't think I'm ever going back. It tore up the snow like nothing last night.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #1043
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Crappy tire does NO2 fills for 4$ a tire I believe. I recommend the one @ 64 AV NE, they are by far the best one in the city (vehicle service wise).

Thanks. No one answers the phone trying to figure out if I need an appointment.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #1044
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Love love love my Blizzak WS80s and all wheel drive. I've been using winter tires forever, but on an AWD car for the first time this year. I don't think I'm ever going back. It tore up the snow like nothing last night.

Good to hear. I just got a 2013 Escape SEL, and am thinking of chucking a set of these on.

My wife has Blizzaks on her van and they handle really well.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #1045
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I got a new set of Himalayas on Thursday, and opted go with studs. It was only $25 more per tire, and I have always been curious about them, so I figured that this was my chance.

In my conversations with Bob at Urban Expressions, he said that the most noticeable downside is road noise. There is definitely a constant hum when driving on dry roads, and although it annoys my wife more than me, it is certainly noticeable and might drive some people nuts. I'm not sure if this will subside as the studs wear down and get more level with the tire. He also said that braking on dry roads should also be unaffected because the middle of the tire has no studs, and even on the edges where the studs are, all of your rubber is still in contact with the road. Cornering feels a little "different" on dry roads, but no slipping or anything. Just a bit more drifty if that makes sense.

But the big upside is traction on ice, obviously. In theory, traction on snow should be unaffected by studs - no advantage or disadvantage - because the rubber and tread is what you're relying on. Mileage I can't speak of personally, but there is definitely extra contact and friction between your car and the road, so it doesn't seem far fetched that it would have an impact.

Damage to roads is one thing that I asked about, and he said that some provinces/states have restrictions, but they also replace their roads less frequently than we do here. He said that in Alberta, roads are resurfaced relatively frequently because of cracking, so damage by studded tires isn't really the same issue as it would be in a warmer climate where roads last longer.

The past few days have given me a taste of the best and worst of studs. Before the snow fell, I was questioning whether the extra road noise was worth the extra traction, especially considering that we have bare roads quite often in Calgary. But yesterday I was really liking the extra bite. There is a noticeable difference when starting (less slipping) and even when driving on a "greasy" road that isn't snow packed, but not fully clear of snow/ice either. It felt like there was less drifting around.

For reference, my other vehicle also has brand new winter tires this season, but unstudded. Those feel great, are much quieter, and are what I would expect from a winter tire. But there was definitely a slight edge with the studs on the other vehicle, as you'd expect.

So there are my thoughts after 4 days of driving on studs. Early days yet. I am hoping that the road noise subsides a bit, but I was definitely enjoying the extra bite yesterday.
It will take at least a year for the noise to go down. Also extends your tire life as well.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EverfresH15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #1046
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've gone back several pages, but I can't find the answer I'm looking for, so here goes:

I'm now driving a 2014 Hyundai Sante Fe (Sport - AWD). Yesterday, and today, I have to admit that I felt like I had more control than with any previous car. But, I am looking at getting tires. I'm not going to potentially ruin my investment, and I also want to protect myself, my kids and my wife.

Nokians...so sweet.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #1047
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you're looking to amuse yourself head to Canadian Tire's service department right now and enjoy the exchanges between completely frustrated/unprepared customers and the completely frustrated staff.

Customer: "I need winter tires now!"
Employee: "Ok, we're booked up for 2 weeks now, but we can get you started."
Customer: "No now!"
Employee: "Uhh ok, well what size tires do you need?"
Customer: "I don't know! SUV? Size? Big? NOW!"
Employee: "umm ok, our SUV tires start at $1,100 a set. do you need wheels?"
Customer: "... can you use the same wheels?"
Employee: "Yes, but we'd need your current wheels to do so, leaving you without a vehicle."
Customer: "My car slides now!"

and so on.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #1048
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Truth be told I'm actually pretty frustrated with myself for not dealing with this already. I've no one to blame but myself, but I'm still gonna belly ache and moan about the whole ordeal.

In the mean time, any idea where to pick up some sandbags to add weight to my stupidly light/tiny car? Who would stock such a thing? Crappy tire? Home depot?

/firstworldproblem
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #1049
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm a big fan of Nokians, I have them on my car and my suv...those Finns know snow tires

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #1050
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jaydorn - you could buy some bags of play sand at Home Depot.m just buy some garbag bags to put the bags of sand in so the sand itself does leak all over the back of your car.

Decorate the bags to match your car
Old 11-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #1051
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Truth be told I'm actually pretty frustrated with myself for not dealing with this already. I've no one to blame but myself, but I'm still gonna belly ache and moan about the whole ordeal.

In the mean time, any idea where to pick up some sandbags to add weight to my stupidly light/tiny car? Who would stock such a thing? Crappy tire? Home depot?

/firstworldproblem
Kal Tire Chinook seems to be able to provide a 2 day turnover. Not immediate, but at least it's not 2 weeks.

Why not just buy bags of road salt? You can use it on the drive way sooner or later, or use it when someone gets stuck. Can buy it most places from CT, Superstore, hardware stores etc. Another option perhaps could be a concrete patio slab? About $3 for a 12" by 12"

Last edited by DoubleF; 11-10-2014 at 07:40 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #1052
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:

/firstworldproblem
Go to Rona and ask for play sand its 10$ a bag I believe and they are 50lb bags.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Violator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #1053
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you're looking to amuse yourself head to Canadian Tire's service department right now and enjoy the exchanges between completely frustrated/unprepared customers and the completely frustrated staff.
Last time I bothered with the Canadian Tire service department the ridiculous line was ready to cannibalize itself. People were swearing at one another, a different pair of guys were ready to break out in physical violence, some old man threatened to bitch slap some gal, and the few employees there totally didn't give a rat's ass. One even skipped out and loudly declared they would be leaving for a break.

And this was a normal summer day.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #1054
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I use the PC brand 12 kg cat litter boxes in my trunk. A couple of those work great and the shape of the boxes helps out a bit in the trunk. It also helps for scooping out some sand when needing to get some traction on ice.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #1055
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

/firstworldproblem

I'm in nearly the same boat myself, so I'm just replying to share in some commiseration.

I kept it casual, wasn't in a terrible rush, booked about a month into the future.

Now my appointment is 5 days away. My car, sitting on summer tires (not even all-seasons), is a death trap. Can't seem to handle much of anything. I could've handled this properly, but instead I have to take a cab to work. I only have myself to blame.

I can't even imagine trying to get things figured out starting now.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #1056
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Sometimes, when someone pisses me off on the road, I come home and check the GMG thread to see if there's a rant (the other side), so that I can verbally and logically smack the person. But there never is. Probably because I was right. Again.

This thread is probably the place to tell people that if you don't have appropriate tires, or if you're a timid little bitch, then either stay off the big roads, or else GTFO of the left lane. 65 kph is not an appropriate speed for the left lane of Stoney, even in a blizzard, so certainly not this morning. So, Mr. A-hole, your reply to my high beams with your middle finger was crass. You should have moved over and let the normal people do 100, because we have equipped our vehicles to handle the longest season of the year. You dick.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #1057
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw a guy like that on 22X Stoney westbound this morning. Comes off the ramp at Sundance and merges straight into the left lane going 70-75, I was doing 100 coming up behind and had to go around him. It was early and there were no cars in the middle or right lanes.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #1058
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

And to add, brush off your car and turn on your lights.
chalms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chalms04 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #1059
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I saw a guy like that on 22X Stoney westbound this morning. Comes off the ramp at Sundance and merges straight into the left lane going 70-75, I was doing 100 coming up behind and had to go around him. It was early and there were no cars in the middle or right lanes.
I've been trying to figure out what is going through the mind of a person when they enter an 3 lane road and immediately proceed to move over to the fast lane when the 2 slower lanes are wide open.

I have a theory. They perceive the left most lane as "safer" since it's further away from exits and on-ramps. Never mind that the rule of the road is it stay right except when passing. Basically they are incredibly stupid and afraid of driving.

I wish the police would start giving tickets out to people driving slow in the fast lane. Especially when there is no one in the slower lanes and they move right over and sit there.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #1060
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post
I've been trying to figure out what is going through the mind of a person when they enter an 3 lane road and immediately proceed to move over to the fast lane when the 2 slower lanes are wide open.

I have a theory. They perceive the left most lane as "safer" since it's further away from exits and on-ramps. Never mind that the rule of the road is it stay right except when passing. Basically they are incredibly stupid and afraid of driving.

I wish the police would start giving tickets out to people driving slow in the fast lane. Especially when there is no one in the slower lanes and they move right over and sit there.
This is absolutely the case. I deal with this every day, all over the city, but the worst for me is 16th Ave NE where they go from Stoney to Deerfoot in the left lane because they don't want to deal with people merging. And they're often doing 20km under the limit.

Poor driving skills are the norm in this city. I like to think I'm a good driver. I'm experienced, my vehicles are maintained properly, I'm courteous to a fault, and I'm vigilant behind the wheel. But I admit I can be aggressive and pass on the right when someone is needlessly slowing me down. The thing is, I only do it when dealing with people who don't have a clue about basic rules of the road. Their bad driving brings out mine. It's cyclical, just like how people don't signal because if they do jerks won't let them in.

I agree that the worst habits need to be corrected, and I'd like to see more enforcement from police, and mandatory re-testing every 5 years.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post: