Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #1441
alexle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
If anyone else is interested in taking advantage of the deal, here's the coupon.
Thanks Kev, I have a fat bike, but I might try out their rental bikes for fun
Old 12-06-2019, 06:51 PM   #1442
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

That was a lot of fun and much harder than I thought it'd be. One of the fat bike wheels weighs as much as my road bike (maybe). Not sure if I need to buy one but I'll definitely go again.

One thing we found out when we checked out is that you need to be on their newsletter list to get the deal. Presenting the coupon isn't good enough. The other guys signed up so they were ok but you probably should sign up before you head out there.

Last edited by KTrain; 12-06-2019 at 09:23 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #1443
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stopped reading at “not sure, I’d buy one”
Old 12-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #1444
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fat bikes are awesome. I have a 2014 pugsly, 2020 Kona wozo, Salsa beargrease and 2018 Big fat Dummy . Versatility is the name of the game. Can take 27+,26 fat ,27.5bfat,29er and 29plus. Their not my only bikes but I use them alot over my other 6 bikes ( perks of being a bike mechanic).

Nth45 dillinger studded or vee rubber snowshoe xl would be awesome for Calgary weather .

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 12-07-2019 at 03:10 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #1445
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That was a lot of fun and much harder than I thought it'd be. One of the fat bike wheels weighs as much as my road bike (maybe). Not sure if I need to buy one but I'll definitely go again.

One thing we found out when we checked out is that you need to be on their newsletter list to get the deal. Presenting the coupon isn't good enough. The other guys signed up so they were ok but you probably should sign up before you head out there.
Those must have been pretty cheap bikes. My beargrease is 22 lbs . My kona wozo with 120mm suspension is 28.5lbs .
Old 12-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #1446
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I was only half kidding about the weight. It was definitely a big change from my road bike.

This is the bike. It was new and had never been ridden before.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/mou...num/bigfoot-3/
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #1447
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

My BFD set up with 29+ with 29+ pike and modified rails to lower weight in the midst of a 500km trip on the sooke wilderness trail/cowican valley trail heading up to courtney then to sunsine coast and back. Thos islands part of the Great trail (formly trans Canada)

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 12-07-2019 at 03:19 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #1448
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was only half kidding about the weight. It was definitely a big change from my road bike.

This is the bike. It was new and had never been ridden before.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/mou...num/bigfoot-3/
Ya, those wheels probably had decent weight. Cheap rims and probably wasnt set up tubless. The bigfoots are a decent platform to make some nice upgrades in the future.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 12-07-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #1449
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Speaking of tubeless, what’s the thoughts of people on here for both mountain and road?

Seems most people think tubeless is the way to go for mountain, more split for road.

If I decide to convert either, the winter is probably a good time to make it a project.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #1450
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Speaking of tubeless, what’s the thoughts of people on here for both mountain and road?

Seems most people think tubeless is the way to go for mountain, more split for road.

If I decide to convert either, the winter is probably a good time to make it a project.

Tubless is the future. Lots of roadies coming through the shop making the switch. The majority of the mechanics at work have switched over . There is no real down side to it. My gravel tires have thorns all in them but not an issue with tubeless. Anything bigger than that has a possibility of damaging your tire but then you can just plug it. Stan's new Dart system is the tits. Can't believe it took so long for a company to make something that fool proof. They of course say with their brand of sealent( duh) but it works works with any latex based sealent which is like 90% of brands. I have used it with my orange sealent with great success on my mtb and once when I ran over a 3 inch screw going to work.

Most people who don't make the switch will commonly say its because they dont have a compressor at hom bit there are excellent kits like the milkit booster that can be inflated with a regular pump and the plus is the booster can doubles as a water bottle!

The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #1451
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had a Wahoo Kickr Core for a month so far using Zwift pretty much exclusively. I'm liking it a lot so far, so easy to go for a "ride" and put on the Flames game in a different window to burn some calories.

Anyone try the Peleton app yet? I was seriously contemplating trying the Peleton app and using the Wahoo app to adjust resistance manually.

Are any of the other apps out there worth a try, like Sufferfest?

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 12-08-2019 at 09:33 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #1452
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post

I bought two road bikes this year and I put Continental 5000 tubeless tires on both of them. The tires are fantastic and I love not carrying tubes anymore. The only issue I ran into was biking back to Vancouver from Whistler and some glass cut up my sidewall. The tires still kept about 60 PSI, but wouldn't hold anything more. I stopped in a shop in Squamish and bought a tube to get me home. My tires are all 700 * 25. One set is on Zipp 303 Firecrest wheels and the other on Zipp 202 NSW wheels. I run the fronts at 80-80 PSI and the backs at 85-90 PSI. I won't go back to tires with tubes in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #1453
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I've had a Wahoo Kickr Core for a month so far using Zwift pretty much exclusively. I'm liking it a lot so far, so easy to go for a "ride" and put on the Flames game in a different window to burn some calories.

Anyone try the Peleton app yet? I was seriously contemplating trying the Peleton app and using the Wahoo app to adjust resistance manually.

Are any of the other apps out there worth a try, like Sufferfest?

I use Zwift mainly. I've tried Fulgaz. That was pretty good. Kind of like zwift, but live video and being able ride real roads is pretty neat. I rode some of the Mallorca rides before I went there. Sufferfest is ok. I had the old sufferfest videos before smart trainers, so it was neat to try with a smart trainer. Trainerroad is good if you are training and want a specific workout or program to follow. I like zwift just for ease of it and going for as long as you want and as hard as you want. I have never tried the peloton app. It looks like it's free for 30 days, so I may as well try it.

Last edited by bossy22; 12-09-2019 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #1454
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone ever used Rouvey? Zwift does not do multiple people profiles...
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #1455
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i biked both on saturday (~30k) and sunday (~20k along the path) and my legs are still killing me.

i opted to stick on the path on sunday due to the snowfall and it still like a workout breaking that nice powder
Old 12-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #1456
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

It's been over 5 years since I last bought a new bike, and the time has finally arrived to scratch that itch. Would love to get some views from CP's cyclists (and share some bike pron) before I make any decisions.

The task: replacing my 2010 Masi Speciale CX commuter bike (that's not it, but it's the same model/colour as the one pictured).

What I'm looking for: something a bit smaller (moving from a 56 to a 54), a bit more upright, a bit lighter, a bit (but not a lot) pricier, with disc brakes and the capacity for fatter wheels (currently running 700x35s) to go with fenders and a rack. I'm even contemplating something that can run 700c and 650b wheels so it can be like two bikes in one).

Candidate bikes:

First, the utterly gorgeous and therefore very thievable Kona NRB ($2300):

Bike is pretty light (AL), pretty fun to ride, looks a lot like my current bike in dark cherry, and has most of the other features I'm looking for. It's pretty pricey though, and I'm not so sure about the 1x system for hilly commuting.

Next up, a steel Kona with similar features, the Rove ST:

Heavier, purple (which I'm not so sure about), but likely tough and comes in a variety of packages ranging from about $1000 to the model above which is $2000. There also seems to be more potential to have a shop build this one up special for under $2K.

Next, the MEC Provincial trail bike. It's a lot like the Kona NRB above, and priced almost identically. But it comes with a 2x11 105 groupset, which is kind of my gold standard for a do-everything sort of bike.

2020 model of that one is green and looks a bit nicer for it IMO.

Next option is a bit of an oddball and hard to find any reviews of, the Brodie Tiber. This is another road+ style bike that takes bigger tires. It retails for $3000 for some reason, but can be had used for a bit less than $2k if one can find it.

I like the look of this steel bike, but it's a bit of an enigma as no one seems to have one.

Another candidate that I've test ridden and liked is the Cannondale Topstone. The Sora model comes in at $1400, which may leave room to upgrade shifters and derailleurs. The older model is pictured below, but the current year is similarly green (though not quite as pretty). It's not the most upright geometry though.

There are also a pair of Giant bikes I'm considering: the Revolt and the Anyroad. They're much more modestly priced ($1000 to $1500) depending on groupset. They're both a bit ugly, but the Anyroad I've tested and found it pretty fun (it's so upright it almost feels like you're running).

Anyone have any thoughts on or experience with these bikes? Any other suggestions for bikes I should be considering?

I should add that snow isn't a factor for me here in Vancouver, but rain and hills sure are.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #1457
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got the Kona NRB DL as my prime commuter bike and I love it. I need to get myself some fenders. A great all arounder, I did a day this year where I took it on the road, pathway, offroad and gravel. Mine's the 2018 model and is not the 1x so I have no issues with hills.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #1458
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I was looking at the NRB DL in the shop, but they had it at almost $3K (but it has the 2x11 drivetrain I'm keen on). I think the wheelset might be better too.

Do you run it with the stock set up, and have you tried it with 700c wheels at any point? I'm curious how it handles and soaks up the bumps (particularly since I'll be sensitive to those coming from a steel bike).
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #1459
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

the only thing I change is the tires. I run the stock 650x47C ones in the summer, it definitely soaks up the bumps nicely. I liked the control on the gravel, though I'm keen to try some gravel specific tires for that. I run similarly big knobbies in the winter. I got it on sale post season last year for $2000 I think. One of my better bike purchases.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #1460
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been looking at last years wheelhouse. I used to have a dekerf made with Reynolds 853 and I loved how that bike rode.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Wheelhouse-Bike-2019-5

Build isn't great, but the price is awesome.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post: