Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2024, 09:10 PM   #1981
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find myself wondering why governments don’t continually ratchet up fuel economy standards, including on light trucks, and let the auto industry figure out the best way to meet them. Electric, hybrid, smaller, more efficient ICE, whatever it takes to lower emissions without mandating a specific technology.

In previous decades CAFE standards drove significant improvements, albeit with some really crappy vehicles initially.

Is it because with such a massive fleet of ICE vehicles on the road we need to mandate electric to meaningfully reduce average emissions?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 05-05-2024, 11:22 PM   #1982
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I find myself wondering why governments don’t continually ratchet up fuel economy standards, including on light trucks, and let the auto industry figure out the best way to meet them. Electric, hybrid, smaller, more efficient ICE, whatever it takes to lower emissions without mandating a specific technology.

In previous decades CAFE standards drove significant improvements, albeit with some really crappy vehicles initially.

Is it because with such a massive fleet of ICE vehicles on the road we need to mandate electric to meaningfully reduce average emissions?
A few reasons, but the biggest is time. No country could hit their commitments by gradually lowering emissions. If we want to hit below 2 degrees warming, cars will need to be emissions free soon. Gradual tightening of emissions has only lead to bigger cars and flat emissions
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:48 AM   #1983
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
Does anyone have an estimate of the energy require to liquefy hydrogen?
the theoretical minimum would in the 3-4 kWh/kg range if memory serves and the best out there now is 6 or so kwh/kg. That's still only 10-20% of the total energy content, but then it takles a lot of energy to keep it there and you hace a lot of loss of hydrogen at every tansfer point and simply through storage as it boils off. The losses added up are huge

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Interesting story on new venture by FuelCell Energy and Toyota Motor North America on Launch of "Tri-gen" production system at the Port of Long Beach. Tri-gen uses biogas to produce renewable electricity, renewable hydrogen, and usable water.
Pretty interesting actually

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fuelc...113000504.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Interesting. I wonder what the source is for the biogas and the deficiency of the process?

This process isn't all that new (see this from 2016: https://www.energy.gov/eere/fuelcell...ation-fountain). Essentially, they buy natural gas made from organic matter in an anaerobic digester (about 2-4x cost of regular natural gas). Then, feed that biogas through a specialized fuel cell that ends up making electricty, hydrogen, heat, and a small amount of water. The thing is, there's very little biogas available today and using it to make hydrogen (in a very expensive way), ship it all over the place just to turn it back into electricity inside the vehicle is both very inefficient and a poor use for something really needed elsewhere. This is another project to try to kickstart a FCEV market by supplying fuel when most other fueling stations have closed. Toyota is desperate for FCEV to happen as they've spent so much money on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 07:08 AM   #1984
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's what I was wondering, the source gas seems not easy to get.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 08:23 AM   #1985
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's what I was wondering, the source gas seems not easy to get.
There's a lot of digesters out there, as biogas from fermentation is usually the starting point for all bio fuels. And it's even relatively "cheap" at anywhere from $2-20/MBtu, in fact it's cheaper than natural gas on some places in Europe. The issue is that the cheap stuff is only cheap because it uses easy to digest waste that the waste facilities either offer for free or pay the biogas company to pick up. There's only so much water treatment plant waste close to any digester. You can do it with cellulosic waste like corn stalks for example, but it suddenly becomes waaaay more expensive.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:17 AM   #1986
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post

I think sometimes the bigger issue isn't technology or physical constraints but marketing. I think some people that roll coal literally love the fact it's basically loud and obnoxious. In the long run, I think PHEV will be the future. I think the Japanese automakers are right on this one. Relying too heavily on a single technology for long term change is creating an issue in the pure EV market.

IMO the long run (and I've thought this for a while before Tesla truly dominated) is a modular vehicle that is comprised of 3-5 primary components (depending on the definition of primary components). After a while IMO people will be able to consider keeping vehicle cockpits and then just upgrading their interface/motors etc. IMO it could revolutionize the repair market. Imagine if you could basically go somewhere, standardize an EV design where the electric motor/battery pack swap within an hour or two, then send the vehicle back. Regardless of what issues you had, you could in theory just address it by swapping it all out. Then the repair company/automaker could on their own time investigate the swapped out components to figure out if they could refurbish, recycle etc. whatever is pulled out. This should have helped the rotting EV issue from before.

TBH, I thought Tesla was going to go in this direction when they first said that their biggest breakthrough in production was basically designing a vehicle that was like a battery pack on a skateboard. I was kinda surprised they discontinued it after a while. I thought if they finished off that modular concept and allowed people to upgrade vehicles to basically the latest and greatest, they'd have continued to dominate the vehicle market for more than a decade.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 10:20 AM   #1987
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Gradual tightening of emissions has only lead to bigger cars and flat emissions
This was also do to massive flaws with the vehicle emissions regulations that left trucks as a loophole.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 12:20 PM   #1988
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I don't think its marketing. Sure there is an amount of education that needs to be done to get people to understand the EV, but I'm with Fuzz on this one. The obsession of going EV only, and not PHEV first is going to make the transition harder.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 05:56 PM   #1989
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I think sometimes the bigger issue isn't technology or physical constraints but marketing. I think some people that roll coal literally love the fact it's basically loud and obnoxious. In the long run, I think PHEV will be the future. I think the Japanese automakers are right on this one. Relying too heavily on a single technology for long term change is creating an issue in the pure EV market.

IMO the long run (and I've thought this for a while before Tesla truly dominated) is a modular vehicle that is comprised of 3-5 primary components (depending on the definition of primary components). After a while IMO people will be able to consider keeping vehicle cockpits and then just upgrading their interface/motors etc. IMO it could revolutionize the repair market. Imagine if you could basically go somewhere, standardize an EV design where the electric motor/battery pack swap within an hour or two, then send the vehicle back. Regardless of what issues you had, you could in theory just address it by swapping it all out. Then the repair company/automaker could on their own time investigate the swapped out components to figure out if they could refurbish, recycle etc. whatever is pulled out. This should have helped the rotting EV issue from before.

TBH, I thought Tesla was going to go in this direction when they first said that their biggest breakthrough in production was basically designing a vehicle that was like a battery pack on a skateboard. I was kinda surprised they discontinued it after a while. I thought if they finished off that modular concept and allowed people to upgrade vehicles to basically the latest and greatest, they'd have continued to dominate the vehicle market for more than a decade.
I was hoping that GM would go down the "skateboard" route in the early 2000s when they introduced the Autonomy platform although it was fuel cell and not battery.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 12:57 PM   #1990
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I don't think its marketing. Sure there is an amount of education that needs to be done to get people to understand the EV, but I'm with Fuzz on this one. The obsession of going EV only, and not PHEV first is going to make the transition harder.
PHEVs are allowed in the current laws requiring all electrified cars by 2035.

Here's the thing - by 2035, PHEVs will be the expensive option to be used only where BEVs literally cannot work.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:02 PM   #1991
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
PHEVs are allowed in the current laws requiring all electrified cars by 2035.

Here's the thing - by 2035, PHEVs will be the expensive option to be used only where BEVs literally cannot work.
I actually think it may be sooner than that.

In China, EVs are almost at purchase price parity with no incentives. Their cars have way more to offer from a technology standpoint too and prices are plummeting. Again, that may just be China, but they manufacture both kinds of cars and are able to make EVs cheaper
Old 05-10-2024, 05:49 PM   #1992
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually think it may be sooner than that.

In China, EVs are almost at purchase price parity with no incentives. Their cars have way more to offer from a technology standpoint too and prices are plummeting. Again, that may just be China, but they manufacture both kinds of cars and are able to make EVs cheaper
Isn't the major incentive in China that EV aren't taxed at purchase whereas ICE vehicles are taxed based on displacement?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 05:51 PM   #1993
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Isn't the major incentive in China that EV aren't taxed at purchase whereas ICE vehicles are taxed based on displacement?
Yes, but they're approaching the point where they're at parity regardless of incentives
Old 05-10-2024, 06:07 PM   #1994
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but they're approaching the point where they're at parity regardless of incentives
What’s the average car weight they sell. Essentially EVs save more by being lighter than ICE engines so a culture of smaller vehicles will hit price parity before larger vehicles and larger vehicles will benefit more than PHEVs.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:39 PM   #1995
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
What’s the average car weight they sell. Essentially EVs save more by being lighter than ICE engines so a culture of smaller vehicles will hit price parity before larger vehicles and larger vehicles will benefit more than PHEVs.
I'm confused what you mean. EV's are generally heavier than ICE due to the batteries. Regardless, purchase price parity before incentives is right over the horizon. Maybe even this year

And I wouldn't really say "culture of small cars" so much. One of the fastest growing segments is luxury minivans

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 05-10-2024 at 10:00 PM.