Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2017, 06:26 PM   #2681
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Sadly, I basically reserve my theatre going experiences to these types of films. I want to support different types of filmmaking, but the cost is so insane to go to a movie, it just has to be something visually spectacular to be worth seeing it there. Otherwise, might as well wait for iTunes or Netflix (or streams). Tragically, I know this mindset inevitably leads to more larger spectacle things.
I go the opposite way for the reasons you mentioned. The Disney franchises are entertaining, but if I’m going to the theatre I’d much rather see something with some substance and artistic merit and support that.

Avengers et al are great movies to throw on at home when you just want to sit on the couch and be entertained for a couple hours.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:44 PM   #2682
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I go the opposite way for the reasons you mentioned. The Disney franchises are entertaining, but if I’m going to the theatre I’d much rather see something with some substance and artistic merit and support that.

Avengers et al are great movies to throw on at home when you just want to sit on the couch and be entertained for a couple hours.
I agree for sure. But every once in a while there's stuff that's really only worth seeing in theatre, especially the first time.

I respect that you make your choice that way.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:49 PM   #2683
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I expect that the Avengers as we know it will be pretty much toast.

I still think the key is that Thanos can't complete the Infinity Gauntlet, because if he did, he'd basically be an unbeatable god who could not only freeze time but go back in time to fix his mistakes.

I mean lets look at what the Stones are supposed to do

Tesseract = I basically the Space Stone, allows the user to exist in any locations, move objects through realities and teleport the owner anywhere

Mind Stone - The one in visions head, gives the user the ability to control minds and project energy, the Mind Stone enhances intelligence gives immense knowledge and can create life

Reality Stone (Aether) - can turn anything to dark matter and suck the life out of mortals.

Power Stone (Purple from Guardians) - capable of destroying entire civilizations just by touch

Time Stone (Doctor Strange) - allows user to see into the past and future, slow down or speed up or reverse time. grants user the total control over the past present and future.

Soul Stone (yet to be seen) - allows the user to control and alter living and dead souls, grants user control over all life in the universe.

So I expect the next two movies is the race for the Soul Stone, if Thanos gets it he's unbeatable.
Actually just going through some Black Panther background right now. Apparently in latter comics he has become "king of the dead" as well, with the ability to raise the dead.

Sounds like maybe the Soul Stone is in Wakanda.

Also looks like in the trailer that Loki has taken the Tesseract from The Collector, and seems like he's at least trying to steal the Mind Stone from Vision. Loki will be one of the most interesting parts of this. It's likely he bounces back and forth to the bitter end. I think he ultimately ends up, if not good, having redemption. Everyone loves an anti-hero.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #2684
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Wasn't the tesseract shown to be in Asgard in Ragnarok?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #2685
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Loki looked at it slyly when he went through the artifact room to put the skull unto the eternal flame. Since the preview has Loki presenting that tesseract to whoever, safe to assume he snagged it and took it off planet.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2017, 09:24 PM   #2686
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
True. But Hela also mentioned most of them as fake. Although did refer to the Tesseract as "that's not bad".

I guess the Collecter has the aether. Hmm. Wonder what happened to the Tesseract. You'd think Thanos would need it to show up on Earth. And he has the blue stone and the Power Stone in the trailer. Interesting that he has the Power Stone but not the Aether* Correction, it's probably on the thumb. duh.

Last edited by Coach; 11-30-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:29 PM   #2687
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True. But Hela also mentioned most of them as fake. Although did refer to the Tesseract as "that's not bad".

I guess the Collecter has the aether. Hmm. Wonder what happened to the Tesseract. You'd think Thanos would need it to show up on Earth. And he has the blue stone and the Power Stone in the trailer. Interesting that he has the Power Stone but not the Aether.
He has the purple (Guardians of the galaxy one) and the Blue (tesseract) in the preview. Thought the power stone was yellow or orange. And how did the collector get the red stone?
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #2688
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
He has the purple (Guardians of the galaxy one) and the Blue (tesseract) in the preview. Thought the power stone was yellow or orange. And how did the collector get the red stone?
The purple one is the Power Stone. The yellow one is the Mind Stone (with Vision). I think there can be some confusion because the stone that was in Loki's staff (which was blue) is the yellow Mind Stone.

I seem to recall them delivering the Aether to The Collector at the end of Thor 2, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #2689
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
The purple one is the Power Stone. The yellow one is the Mind Stone (with Vision). I think there can be some confusion because the stone that was in Loki's staff (which was blue) is the yellow Mind Stone.

I seem to recall them delivering the Aether to The Collector at the end of Thor 2, but maybe I'm wrong.
They did deliver the Aether to the Collector.

And the one in Loki's staff was definitely the mind stone as he could use it as both a energy weapon and as a mind control device.

Is it weird that I think that Quill has to be a key figure in this, I mean he's the only one of the Avengers that can handle a infinity stone for any period of time, and he's basically descended from a Celestial, you know the dudes that created the Stones in the first place. He's probably the only one that has the built in ability to matchup to Thanos.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #2690
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
They did deliver the Aether to the Collector.

And the one in Loki's staff was definitely the mind stone as he could use it as both a energy weapon and as a mind control device.

Is it weird that I think that Quill has to be a key figure in this, I mean he's the only one of the Avengers that can handle a infinity stone for any period of time, and he's basically descended from a Celestial, you know the dudes that created the Stones in the first place. He's probably the only one that has the built in ability to matchup to Thanos.
That makes sense for sure. Strange having the Time Stone is also a massive game changer.

Just watched Dr. Strange last night for only the second time (1st was in theatres). I forgot how awesome it was.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #2691
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
That makes sense for sure. Strange having the Time Stone is also a massive game changer.

Just watched Dr. Strange last night for only the second time (1st was in theatres). I forgot how awesome it was.
I tend to think that the Time Stone is probably the most powerful stone of the collection. Frankly the ability to freeze, slow down and roll back or roll forward time is the ultimate weapon here.

Thanos can basically correct any mistake that he makes. Or he can go back and prevent Tony from escaping from the Terrorists using the mark one suit. Save Banner from being exposed to radiation, or even preventing them from being born.

Or just to be sporting slow down time and run around punching all of the avengers in the d%%k 50 times a minute until they surrender.

You have to wonder as well, since Thanos was already one of the most powerful beings in the MCU, if there is a more powerful stone out there or a control stone that they haven't talked about yet.

Maybe an infinity Codpiece with one pit for the manly stone.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #2692
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Quill even that special anymore? Now that he killed his dad he isn't immortal.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #2693
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I remember when you used to do movie reviews on 1040. I used to enjoy those. They were well done.
Haha, that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Those were my glorious single days where all I would do was watch sports, cable shows and go to the movies. Times have changed.

I appreciate the comment though.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #2694
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

The problem is every single Marvels movie follows the same plot line. Lame bad guy, lame good guys. Both fight each other and good guys win. The end.

There is a reason the Punisher on Netflix was so much better. It was more realistic, more gritty, and actually seemed to cover what someone in that position would go through.

Hollywood doesn't make good movies anymore. Its just the same recycled crap over and over again.

Honestly, what was the last amazing movie people watched? Dunkirk? So we await one good Christopher Nolan movie every 2 years? Maybe Star Wars will be good, maybe it won't. Probably will just be okay.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #2695
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Apparently the trailer for the next Jurassic Park/World movie will premiere during Thursday Night Football tonight
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #2696
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Hollywood doesn't make good movies anymore. Its just the same recycled crap over and over again.

Honestly, what was the last amazing movie people watched? Dunkirk? So we await one good Christopher Nolan movie every 2 years? Maybe Star Wars will be good, maybe it won't. Probably will just be okay.
There have been plenty of excellent movies this year.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #2697
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:

2017 has seen a lot of great movies, including superhero ones. I haven't seen a lot but the ones I've loved are:
  • Get Out
  • Big Sick
  • Wind River
  • War for the Planet of the Apes
  • Mudbound
  • Logan Lucky
  • Baby Driver
  • I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
  • The Babysitter (stupid but fun)
  • Okja
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #2698
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Blade Runner 2049

My favourite movie of the year. Nolan isn't the only person making great movies.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #2699
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, The Killing Of A Sacred Deer, Lady Bird, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, The Florida Project... all great movies. I don’t understand the mentality of “great movies don’t get made anymore”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #2700
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Is Quill even that special anymore? Now that he killed his dad he isn't immortal.
We think he's not immortal anymore but that was never proven. Ego just said that to Peter, but that could have just been a mental game to try and stop Peter from destroying Ego. It was never proven since Yondu scarified himself and Peter was never in danger in space.

Since it was emphasized a lot at the end of that movie, but never actually tested, I feel like that will be the twist.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote