Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2024, 02:43 PM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I'm a fan of Chipotle and usually try to go there when I visit the US but I went to the one in Calgary and it was.....ok. Not bad, but absolutely not worth the lineup extending out the door. When I went it wasn't too busy but by the time I left there was a huge lineup

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:56 PM   #42
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chick-Fil-A

Yuck

Gave me the ####s in 2018, haven’t had it since.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:37 PM   #43
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 03:38 PM   #44
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I'm a fan of Chipotle and usually try to go there when I visit the US but I went to the one in Calgary and it was.....ok. Not bad, but absolutely not worth the lineup extending out the door. When I went it wasn't too busy but by the time I left there was a huge lineup
I mean it's okay...there's still a massive lineup at lunch for the one in DT Vancouver. I have no idea why. A couple of blocks away there's a legit Mexican food truck, which is a way tastier option. They'll even make your food "gringo" style.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:10 PM   #45
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
It's funny, I was in London a few months ago and randomly went to this place called Slim Chickens I'd never heard of before and it was really good. Then I found out it's actually an American chain (though located mostly in cities I've never been to). Arguably better than Chick Fil-A yet I don't ever really hear about it.
I’ve never heard of it. Whereabouts in London was it?

Edit: just checked, there are a couple of locations in Belfast - will check it out when visiting my son.

Last edited by Barnet Flame; 01-04-2024 at 04:40 PM.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 04:39 PM   #46
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss Badass Jack's. Local to Alberta and it was awesome.

I'd love to see In&Out here though. I was happy when Teriyaki Madness came to Canada. The first one opened in Lethbridge, of all places.

I tried Shake Shack in Vegas. I tried it twice because the first time I was unimpressed. My 2nd attempt made no difference. I couldn't figure out why it was so popular. I worry that Chic-Fil-A will be the same... but when it comes to Canada it should be named Chic-Fil-Eh.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 04:45 PM   #47
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I remember having Jimmy Johns in the states ages ago, was probably the best sandwich ive ever had from a restaurant.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:47 PM   #48
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chic-Fil-A is fine...best thing is the Chic-Fil-A sauce which I just buy at target and bring home when we are down in the states.

Rasing Canes was better I thought.

Really the nice thing you have in America is the variety...which is better than the individual chains themselves IMO. In Canada it really feels like the choice is limited at times, where in the US there are more options.

Really though the key in Canada is just to try to avoid chains and find the good stuff that's more local.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:51 PM   #49
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seven of us were in Palm Springs last spring. The others were stoked to go to Chick-Fil-A. I would have gone but was doing something else. I’d like to try it. Is the skin fatty like KFC?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 05:11 PM   #50
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't get this bill from a NY government official about forcing businesses to be open on Sunday to serve travelers, which I assume is targeting Chick Fil A a little more than other businesses. It's flat out strange and is a very 2023/24 North American mindset where on side has to "own" the other side in almost every debate.

So what if Chic Fil A is closed on Sunday's so that employee's have a specific, scheduled day off? Some may choose to go to church and other's may choose to stay home and relax. So what? Why do a lot of people get so worked up about this? Is there a lack of low grade, fast food options available in America for people to get upset?

I understand that a lot of people don't appreciate their Christian values but that is a decision that the company made and continues to make. I am in my 30's and I recall a LOT of businesses used to be closed on Sunday's.

In Europe, Sunday is still a pretty chill day business wise. Having just spent a lot of time overseas in Europe, you see changes. In Europe, a lot of businesses are closed Sunday's and a lot of businesses/shops close in the middle of the afternoon for a quick lunch and siesta. It's family oriented. It's not the inconvenience people think it is, you just plan better. If there was a "movement" so to speak about forcing some businesses to open on Sunday in places like Italy, Greece, Spain etc, you would be thought of and perhaps thrown into a mental hospital. Supermarkets are generally closed in a lot of places on Sunday's.

I recall a video clip once about some successful, Hollywood immigrant mega producer or something. He said the one thing he would change about American culture would be to just focus on family, food, relaxing and enjoying each other's company with friends/family 1 day a week. He didn't specify Sunday and he wasn't speaking from a religious perspective.

We are starting to see this more and more here in Canada too. Lot's of place are open and operating normally on Christmas/ New Year's Day. Disgruntled staff being forced to work. It seems strange to me.

Full disclosure: Never been to a Chic Fil A or eaten anything from there.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 05:19 PM   #51
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I hope Hobby Lobby comes here next so I can see some stolen artifacts from Mesopotamia.
Glad they were stolen. The folk that live there now would just as soon blow those artifacts up.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 05:53 PM   #52
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you’re closed on Sunday, at an airport that operates 7 days a week, you’re a waste of space.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 06:14 PM   #53
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I don't get this bill from a NY government official about forcing businesses to be open on Sunday to serve travelers, which I assume is targeting Chick Fil A a little more than other businesses. It's flat out strange and is a very 2023/24 North American mindset where on side has to "own" the other side in almost every debate.

So what if Chic Fil A is closed on Sunday's so that employee's have a specific, scheduled day off? Some may choose to go to church and other's may choose to stay home and relax. So what? Why do a lot of people get so worked up about this? Is there a lack of low grade, fast food options available in America for people to get upset?

I understand that a lot of people don't appreciate their Christian values but that is a decision that the company made and continues to make. I am in my 30's and I recall a LOT of businesses used to be closed on Sunday's.

In Europe, Sunday is still a pretty chill day business wise. Having just spent a lot of time overseas in Europe, you see changes. In Europe, a lot of businesses are closed Sunday's and a lot of businesses/shops close in the middle of the afternoon for a quick lunch and siesta. It's family oriented. It's not the inconvenience people think it is, you just plan better. If there was a "movement" so to speak about forcing some businesses to open on Sunday in places like Italy, Greece, Spain etc, you would be thought of and perhaps thrown into a mental hospital. Supermarkets are generally closed in a lot of places on Sunday's.

I recall a video clip once about some successful, Hollywood immigrant mega producer or something. He said the one thing he would change about American culture would be to just focus on family, food, relaxing and enjoying each other's company with friends/family 1 day a week. He didn't specify Sunday and he wasn't speaking from a religious perspective.

We are starting to see this more and more here in Canada too. Lot's of place are open and operating normally on Christmas/ New Year's Day. Disgruntled staff being forced to work. It seems strange to me.

Full disclosure: Never been to a Chic Fil A or eaten anything from there.
As much as I get a kick out of your new “I don’t understand this issue at all but let me tell you about Europe!” schtick, I will point out that the bill is directed toward rest stops and places run by the Port Authority, and would only impact future contracts.

It makes complete sense unless you’re Lindsay Graham and a loser.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 10:30 PM   #54
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who are these disgruntled people here that are being forced to work on holidays are?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 07:10 AM   #55
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Who are these disgruntled people here that are being forced to work on holidays are?
I think as we become less Christian oriented, this is less of an issue. What does, say, a Hindu care about Christmas? If they get stat pay they are probably happy to take the shift. There are loads of our population for which our stat holidays mean nothing.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 07:23 AM   #56
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I’ve never heard of it. Whereabouts in London was it?

Edit: just checked, there are a couple of locations in Belfast - will check it out when visiting my son.
The one we went to was in the West End. Stopped in after seeing a play looking for something quick on the walk back to our hotel. Was pleasantly surprised.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 07:26 AM   #57
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I miss Badass Jack's. Local to Alberta and it was awesome.

I'd love to see In&Out here though. I was happy when Teriyaki Madness came to Canada. The first one opened in Lethbridge, of all places.

I tried Shake Shack in Vegas. I tried it twice because the first time I was unimpressed. My 2nd attempt made no difference. I couldn't figure out why it was so popular. I worry that Chic-Fil-A will be the same... but when it comes to Canada it should be named Chic-Fil-Eh.
I really liked Badass Jack's as well. Especially when it first started. The quality was really good, like you'd order a ham sandwich and they'd literally take a roast ham out of the oven and carve it up (same with turkey, chicken, etc.)

There's a place in Edmonton I really like called Hot Philly which does cheesesteaks (and chicken cheesesteaks) with various different sauces and spice levels that sadly appears to be going the same way as Badass Jack's. Used to have 4-5 locations but now just one left on the north end of the city. Really delicious, though.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:25 AM   #58
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Glad they were stolen. The folk that live there now would just as soon blow those artifacts up.
Yes, every brown person who lives in the Gulf region or the levant is ISIL. Thank you for this amazing post that isn't Islamophobic at all.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 11:42 AM   #59
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
As much as I get a kick out of your new “I don’t understand this issue at all but let me tell you about Europe!” schtick, I will point out that the bill is directed toward rest stops and places run by the Port Authority, and would only impact future contracts.

It makes complete sense unless you’re Lindsay Graham and a loser.
Exactly, if an area is meant to provide services to travellers or customers in a specific area, it is not beneficial to have some of those services unavailable on the busiest days. It also looks poor if some are closed. If you open a store in a mall, you are not allowed to close on Sundays, you have to follow the hours of the rest of the mall, etc.

If Chick Fil A does not want to be open on Sundays in these areas, then they should make room for some other restaurant or service to move in rather than wasting the space.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-05-2024 at 01:00 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 11:50 AM   #60
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sunday is a big travel day, as well. I know more than one time I've gotten to a rest stop and been annoyed at the lack of options thanks to Chick Fil-A