Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 10:16 PM   #12941
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Tkachuk + for Eichel
Monahan + for Laine

That'd be one hell of an off season as long as the pluses aren't too crazy in those proposed deals.
Would be nice but you may have to use the same +‘s in each deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 10:17 PM   #12942
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Tkachuk + for Eichel
Monahan + for Laine

That'd be one hell of an off season as long as the pluses aren't too crazy in those proposed deals.
Laine had a bad season and without a contract the value suffers. Monahan+Valimaki is a very strong offer imo. (Some people here will crucify me for this.)

Tkachuk+Kylington+1st 2021 for eichel
There won't be a piece as enticing as Tkachuk long term on the table for eichel, IMO, with his injury and surgery.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:29 PM   #12943
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Laine had a bad season and without a contract the value suffers. Monahan+Valimaki is a very strong offer imo. (Some people here will crucify me for this.)

Tkachuk+Kylington+1st 2021 for eichel
There won't be a piece as enticing as Tkachuk long term on the table for eichel, IMO, with his injury and surgery.
I generally don’t like the idea of acquiring Laine as it’s been pretty heavily rumoured that he wants to get to a beach town in free agency…but it would be cool.

I don’t think Tkachuk + Kylington + 1st gets you Eichel. Tkachuk + 1st + 1st? Tkachuk + 1st + Zary? Those two I think work.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:30 PM   #12944
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I generally don’t like the idea of acquiring Laine as it’s been pretty heavily rumoured that he wants to get to a beach town in free agency…but it would be cool.

I don’t think Tkachuk + Kylington + 1st gets you Eichel. Tkachuk + 1st + 1st? Tkachuk + 1st + Zary? Those two I think work.
And if Valimaki goes in the other deal and if Gio is gone you may want Kylington around.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:06 AM   #12945
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the Blue Jackets will be looking to rebuild. They've lost a lot of talent, Laine didn't work out, Seth Jones likely gone at the draft. They may not be looking for NHL players
Old 06-05-2021, 09:53 AM   #12946
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I wonder if the Blue Jackets will be looking to rebuild. They've lost a lot of talent, Laine didn't work out, Seth Jones likely gone at the draft. They may not be looking for NHL players
Despite the fact that they are constantly losing assets, things aren't quite as bad as they seem for Columbus.

The reason for this is the fact they only have two players who are over 28 and have a contract that goes past next year: Atkinson and Nyquist. No one gets paid more than 6 million.

My point is, it's easy to rebound quickly when you're in a good cap situation. This year is a strong free agency and not a lot of teams have cap.
Unlike Buffalo, Columbus hasn't resorted to grossly overpaying people just to stay there.

Add the fact that they have a lot of picks, and things aren't so gloom and doom.

They are a pretty well-managed team. If they can get players to actually stay there, they'll be fine. But that's a big if.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2021, 10:48 AM   #12947
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
CBJ could be poised for a 2 yr re-tool, which would make a lot of sense given their stacked division (with WAS and PIT poised to fall off sooner or later).

Laine + goalie + TBL 1st for Eichel

Jones for Frost/Patrick +2nd

Domi for _____ (Kerfoot+Liljegren?)

Giving Eichel the full year to recover, they'd be right in the Wright sweepstakes. They'd have room to take back some bad money, too, or be poised to go big game hunting in UFA 2022.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #12948
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
CBJ could be poised for a 2 yr re-tool, which would make a lot of sense given their stacked division (with WAS and PIT poised to fall off sooner or later).

Laine + goalie + TBL 1st for Eichel

Jones for Frost/Patrick +2nd

Domi for _____ (Kerfoot+Liljegren?)

Giving Eichel the full year to recover, they'd be right in the Wright sweepstakes. They'd have room to take back some bad money, too, or be poised to go big game hunting in UFA 2022.
There is an outside chance that Patrick is exposed in the expansion draft, not sure he is the centerpiece of any major deal.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:02 PM   #12949
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t help but think this offseason could be a catalyst to finally getting the most out of this young core. We need to shake things up for sure, here’s hoping Treliving can pass that test because I think the players that end up making the roster and playing for Sutter could turn into a formidable foe for a lot of teams.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2021, 12:42 PM   #12950
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I can’t help but think this offseason could be a catalyst to finally getting the most out of this young core. We need to shake things up for sure, here’s hoping Treliving can pass that test because I think the players that end up making the roster and playing for Sutter could turn into a formidable foe for a lot of teams.
Yeah, I’m hoping Treliving has a Dougie Hamilton-style off-season.

Last year, outside of the Ward hire (wtf Tree…), he did a good job of adding to the team without spending assets. Now it’s up to him to have one of those transformational summers (like trading a 1st and two 2nds for Hamilton).

Can he acquire Eichel? Can he acquire a young top pairing defenceman? There are opportunities out there, and the time is right to move on from some of the longer served Flames (Gio, Backs?).
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2021, 01:04 PM   #12951
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Yeah, I’m hoping Treliving has a Dougie Hamilton-style off-season.

Last year, outside of the Ward hire (wtf Tree…), he did a good job of adding to the team without spending assets. Now it’s up to him to have one of those transformational summers (like trading a 1st and two 2nds for Hamilton).

Can he acquire Eichel? Can he acquire a young top pairing defenceman? There are opportunities out there, and the time is right to move on from some of the longer served Flames (Gio, Backs?).
Hmmm what about a true Buffalo block buster with Tkachuk and Monahan and some chips one way for Eichel and I know, I know, I know, just spit balling ... Ristolainen? He had the league worst minus just 3 seasons ago but everyone on Buffalo including Rienhardt, is a big career minus, the whole freakin team. Can Sutter teach a big, strong skating talented R shot offensive defenseman how to play defense properly???

Maybe he can't and I know the guy has some worts.

I found it odd that since Trelivings Presser when the season ended that everyone's latched on to the core change comments. I heard, but just once him also let slip the they need more offense on their blueline. Sounds obvious but the way he phrased it made me think he does have a core blueline change coming as well, maybe two. I haven't heard the media guys talk about that.

Last edited by GS Skier; 06-05-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:13 PM   #12952
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
There is an outside chance that Patrick is exposed in the expansion draft, not sure he is the centerpiece of any major deal.
Who's protected over him?

JVR?
Voracek?

Patrick may not have much more trade value than those two, but he would definitely be easier to move. Hard to see them exposing him over those 2 IMO.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:01 PM   #12953
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just found out Treliving is giving an address at my kid’s virtual grad tonight (his kid is also in the class). I will advise of any bombshells.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #12954
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Just found out Treliving is giving an address at my kid’s virtual grad tonight (his kid is also in the class). I will advise of any bombshells.
"Dear class of 2021... May your futures be bright and happy with Jack Eichel as the Flames #1C in exchange for Zach Rinaldo and the 3rd round pick we got from the Jabronis up north in Edmonton"
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2021, 05:36 PM   #12955
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
"Dear class of 2021... May your futures be bright and happy with Jack Eichel as the Flames #1C in exchange for Zach Rinaldo and the 3rd round pick we got from the Jabronis up north in Edmonton"
My bad - young Ms Treliving’s grandpa Jim is the one speaking.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:01 PM   #12956
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
My bad - young Ms Treliving’s grandpa Jim is the one speaking.

I can’t imagine what a Brad Tre grad speech would be

Most of his interviews about the Flames sound like he is reading from a textbook on how to do the job of a GM.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:10 PM   #12957
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

Most of his interviews about the Flames sound like he is reading from a textbook on how to do the job of a GM.
Turns out Jim’s was pretty text-like
Old 06-06-2021, 03:10 PM   #12958
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

He could explain “the process” to a future generation of Flames fans.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #12959
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Latest 31 thoughts pod Friedman mentioned NAS fans proposing Ellis+Arvidsson for Marner. EF and Marek thought it wasn't enough, but I think that would be an excellent return.

VA is 28, 3x4.25
RE is 30, 6x6.25

MM is 24, 4x10.9

Last couple years of Ellis may not be great, but the Leafs really have a 2-3 year window before Matthews is UFA and Tavares/Muzzin/Brodie start to slow down.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:06 PM   #12960
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching the Avs - they have to sign or replace Landeskog, Saad, Bellemare, Soderberg, Nemeth, Grubauer and Dubnyk. They have to sign Makar to his first RFA contract and it’s gotta be huge. They have Erik Johnston on LTIR and if he comes back it’s trouble. I wonder if they need to shed someone - Burakovsky would be a nice pickup.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread