Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #12881
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I really like Marner.

I just don't think he is the answer to the Flames' roster questions.
Yeah I think if the Flames were deeper and better built, they could certainly use a Marner. Heck, Toronto has two #1 centers and two elite wingers in Marner and Nylander. The Leafs have a lot of good pieces. The Flames on the other hand do not have this kind of depth, nor do they have the assets to attempt to build a roster like this. So management will need get creative and execute. There’s no margin for error at this point.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #12882
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Is it though? St Louis just won the Cup in 2019 by being one of the heaviest teams in the league. Dallas also gave the Flames a butt kicking last season being the same type of team as St Louis.

In my identity rant earlier in the season, I mentioned that the Flames really need to pick an identity. Personally, I like the idea of building a speed team, but I’m also perfectly fine with building a heavy team as well. The Flames just need to pick a direction and go with it.

I do agree that the Flames need a high level of skill, that to me is non negotiable. But also being able to out will your opponent has been proven to be quite effective. Being the most skilled team like a Tampa Bay is probably going to be the most difficult and most expensive method, so I’m not even sure that direction is all that feasible.
If you look at the last 5 forwards taken in the top 2 rounds, I think it shows what they want their identity to be:

Bennett
Tkachuk
Dube
Pelletier
Zary

that is all about tenacity.

The problem is that culture is defined by your top players, so no matter how many of these type of guys they add, the culture isn't changing until the top players have been changed.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #12883
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Don't mind him, he's Gaudreau biggest defender here. Can't see the forest through the trees and everything is blind defense when Gaudreaus name pops up.
Because he is our best player and you don't know the square root of F all about hockey so you trash him? Ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #12884
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
In a league where 60-70% of all players are left handed you take a right hand shot and run. Also where did I say Gaudreau was being moved for a bag of pucks? Obviously a quality player would come back. This is silly talk.
What quality player is coming back to replace what Gaudreau brings? Some magic beans? There is a part of me that wants to see Gaudreau go and flourish elsewhere because a large part of this fanbase is just bizarre in wanting to run its best players put of town. Like they are addicted to mediocrity and losing and just want more of the same. Always the same posters too.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #12885
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It was mainly a snarky joke. Marner is not a shooter though - that's Mackinnon.

If you don't want to compare to Bennett, Marner's PO PPG is almost identical to Brad Marchand's over their careers (and at this point in his career, Marchand was way way below Marner in PPG in the post season).

And you sure don't want to compare Marner's PO production to Gaudreau.
You won’t need to sell me to hard on Marner here. I like his game and I’d definitely take him on my team. But the Flames have bigger needs right now up the middle and the asset base is too weak to trade for a top center and a top winger. Management is going to need to be creative with what they have. It'll be interesting to see how the Flames, Leafs, Oilers and maybe even the Canucks fair in the offseason. All 4 teams will likely tinker with their forward group and all 4 teams could competing for the same types of players. Gonna be a fascinating off season in Canada.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #12886
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If you look at the last 5 forwards taken in the top 2 rounds, I think it shows what they want their identity to be:

Bennett
Tkachuk
Dube
Pelletier
Zary

that is all about tenacity.

The problem is that culture is defined by your top players, so no matter how many of these type of guys they add, the culture isn't changing until the top players have been changed.
I agree, the Flames have been looking for Mangiapane types for a while now. I don’t even hate that idea as I love Andrew Mangipane. But management needs to keep in mind that the Flames still need to get into the playoffs as that’s not even a guarantee.

Toronto for instance is so darn skilled, they won’t have a problem getting into the playoffs every season. They just need to figure out how to add a few guys that’ll get them through the playoffs. The Flames on the otherhand don’t have that luxury. We’re not even good enough to get to the dance every year, so management will have to figure out how to acquire players that not only can get them to the playoffs, but players who can also get them through the playoffs.

We’ll have to see how things go with the current top players, I’m not sure we’ve seen the best they can offer yet. We’ve tried to spread out the talent and that failed spectacularly, so having them load up now instead? That could change things a fair bit. So I’ll be curious to see what happens.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #12887
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Colorado's best players have good size and tenacity.

The Flames' best players do not, so they are supplemented with Lucic and Ritchie and Leivo
Colorado might also be the fastest team in the league as well. They skated circles around the Flames in 2019 and they just absolutely owned a fast/heavy team like Vegas. They’re the class of the West and it’s because they have an identity and their star players elevate their play in the playoffs. They’re missing huge piece in Kadri and it hasn’t phased them. That’s true depth. In contrast, If the Flames lost a Kadri in the line up, we’d definitely feel it.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #12888
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
So apparently MacKinnon's playoff production is about as high Marner's and Matthew's combined.

When it comes to the playoffs, either MacKinnon is amazing or Marner and Matthews are very disappointing.
It's that MacKinnon is amazing.

1.47 PPG in the playoffs is ridiculous. Nobody really comes close to him in that regards over the last decade.

Honestly to me MacKinnon is the perfect example of teams needing to be patient. It looked like he was topping out as a 50-60 point player after his first 4 seasons in the league, and there were legitimate discussions about who was best between Monahan, Mackinnon, and Barkov from that draft.

Then all of a sudden he goes off and has been a 90+ point, top 5 player in the league ever since, and arguably the best player in the league over that stretch (Probably is if you include playoffs and regular season).

On a Canadian franchise he probably would have been ran out of the city after the Avs missed the playoffs three straight seasons and he wasn't living up to his draft hype. Media and fanbases in Canada have no patience with young players and always want to blame failure on the young stars of the team.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:10 AM   #12889
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1400814180010180615
Old 06-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #12890
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

$6 mill seems like a lot for a 29 year old who has never had more than 41 points and is injured every year.

I'm guessing Toronto will just move on.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 08:36 AM   #12891
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto says “best of luck” if someone is giving Hyman 6m
Old 06-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #12892
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Run far, far away. Big contracts to non-elite players of this type nearly always bomb. I think he's a good energy player that can score 15-20 goals when paired with top line talent but at $6 million a season he's a shoo-in to be the next Okposo, Ladd, Clarkson, Lucic, Beagle, Sutter, Brouwer. You think GM's would look at Jim Benning in Vancouver and realize that you can't overpay for players like this.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #12893
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

This has Flames written all over it. I don't even think Hyman is 5 million dollar player. I hope he ends up on a bottom feeder team...a different bottom feeder team.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:09 AM   #12894
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
This has Flames written all over it. I don't even think Hyman is 5 million dollar player. I hope he ends up on a bottom feeder team...a different bottom feeder team.
Feels like a Ken Holland overpay to me. Franz Neilson 2.0
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #12895
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping the Oilers are the team ready to spend $6 million on this guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #12896
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Hmmmm didn’t Toronto media leak a similar rumour with fellow local boy Marner???? Who then had to respond to fan outrage and signed not long after? These are starting to feel deliberate.

Just sounds off to me.

And also scares me because yeah the Flames would 100% be in on this. Which I think would be yet another free agent mistake in 2-3 seasons…
Old 06-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #12897
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue with Hyman is more his age, and that really it’s not clear what he looks like away from Matthews and Marner.

If he were 25 then maybe $5-$6M isn’t that bad. But he’s 29 and big money contracts for players that aren’t elite on their own, and are soon to be on the wrong side of 30 generally come back to bite you.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #12898
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm hoping the Oilers are the team ready to spend $6 million on this guy.
I'm not. McHobo will make him look better than a $6M winger and then the Grease don't need to put Crysaitl on his wing.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #12899
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don’t do it Tre. You’ve already got a better version of Hyman named Andrew Mangiapane. Give the money to him.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #12900
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Because he is our best player and you don't know the square root of F all about hockey so you trash him? Ok.
Rude. I trash Gaudreaus effort when warranted, just like everyone else with every other player. If you want to go nuts and defend a player with your dying breath, great. But stuff the the personal insults back into your pie hole.
Closed Thread