Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 07:24 AM   #12841
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Marner and Gaudreau are very similar players. I would be interested to see how Johnny does playing with Matthews and how Marner would do with Monahan. Personally I don’t think there is a ton of difference overall between Johnny and Mitch. I give Marner the edge for sure and he is a better defensive forward but I do think he has benefited from playing with an elite center in Matthews or Tavares.

I am not sure what Toronto would be looking for in a Marner trade. Would they want a multi piece package where they could fill out their roster?

I think they could make a hell of a deal with the Blue Jackets and get one of their goalies and Seth Jones for Marner.

To CLB: Marner, Kerfoot, Dermott
To TOR: Jones, Korpisalo/Merzlikens, Bjorkstrand, TBay 1st
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #12842
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think Marner and Gaudreau are very similar players. I would be interested to see how Johnny does playing with Matthews and how Marner would do with Monahan. Personally I don’t think there is a ton of difference overall between Johnny and Mitch. I give Marner the edge for sure and he is a better defensive forward but I do think he has benefited from playing with an elite center in Matthews or Tavares.

I am not sure what Toronto would be looking for in a Marner trade. Would they want a multi piece package where they could fill out their roster?

I think they could make a hell of a deal with the Blue Jackets and get one of their goalies and Seth Jones for Marner.

Jones has more impact on a team than Marner. The only negative from a CBJ standpoint is that Jones has stated that he won't sign, decreasing his value. If they allow an interested team to talk to Jones, that could be mitigated.

Jones and Korpisalo is enough for Marner. Maybe too much.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #12843
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikitiklik View Post
Can we not name any deals with Toronto please. I would hate to deal with us playing against and Tkachuk or whoever just like we used to have to with Doug Gilmour and Phaneuf. It was non stop
If I’m Treliving/Flames management, I couldn’t care less about two trades that happened decades ago.

If there’s a trade to be made that improves the Flames, you do it. Who it is you’re trading with shouldn’t matter much at all.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #12844
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Who unfortunately has not been effective in the playoffs, which is a contributor to the Leaf’s lack of success.
FWIW Marner has a higher PPG in the playoffs than noted playoff stud Sam Bennett.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 08:31 AM   #12845
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Jones has more impact on a team than Marner. The only negative from a CBJ standpoint is that Jones has stated that he won't sign, decreasing his value. If they allow an interested team to talk to Jones, that could be mitigated.

Jones just had a pretty bad season and is one year away from being a UFA. Marner just finished 4th in scoring and is signed for 4 more years.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:51 AM   #12846
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is kind of funny how the media narrative is that Matthews, Marner, and Nylander are to blame for the Leafs recent playoff woes.

Matthews: 24 points in 32 career playoff games
Marner: 25 points in 32 career playoff games
Nylander: 23 points in 32 career playoff games

It's not amazing, but that's still pretty good production for these guys who are all still under the age of 25.

Foligno, Hyman, Simmonds, Thornton, Mikayev, and Engvall combined for 2 goals and 5 points - scoring depth was the Leafs issue against the Habs. They probably should have used a first on Hall instead of throwing it away on Foligno.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #12847
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

I have watched both players a lot including Marner's days with the Knights and I think Johnny is the better player in every way except physically. I don't think as Flames fans we realize how good of a playmaker Gaudreau is and he has a fantastic shot he tends not to use because he is looking to make that great pass. I think Gaudreau would challenge for an Art Ross playing with Matthews.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #12848
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Why is Toronto looking for a goalie? I don't see the value in the Jackets adding one of those goalies for Toronto.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #12849
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Why is Toronto looking for a goalie? I don't see the value in the Jackets adding one of those goalies for Toronto.
Well is Campbell the long term starter? If so then I guess they don’t need a goalie but rumors are Andersen is leaving so they could be in the market for a new goalie
Old 06-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #12850
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They only have a back-up goalie under contract next season, and he was definitely exposed as not good enough in these playoffs.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:13 AM   #12851
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
FWIW Marner has a higher PPG in the playoffs than noted playoff stud Sam Bennett.
Impossible, since Sam has the highest in the history of organized hockey.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:14 AM   #12852
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
A player that just finished 4th overall in scoring on a team that is challenged offensively is the last thing this team needs? Tkachuk is a good player but he's not a great player. Marner is a great player.
It's a team game, and having all your best players be tiny, soft wingers doesn't exactly sound like a killer way to build a team IMO
Old 06-02-2021, 09:18 AM   #12853
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

Not if you compare the years they have both been in the league. The 2014 season skews Bennett’s stats

From 2016-17 through today, Bennett is a big higher
Old 06-02-2021, 09:19 AM   #12854
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have watched both players a lot including Marner's days with the Knights and I think Johnny is the better player in every way except physically. I don't think as Flames fans we realize how good of a playmaker Gaudreau is and he has a fantastic shot he tends not to use because he is looking to make that great pass. I think Gaudreau would challenge for an Art Ross playing with Matthews.
While some of what you say may well be true, I wouldn't ignore the fact that Johnny is almost 4 years older than Marner.

We've likely seen the best of Johnny, Marner may still have some room to improve.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #12855
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It is kind of funny how the media narrative is that Matthews, Marner, and Nylander are to blame for the Leafs recent playoff woes.

Matthews: 24 points in 32 career playoff games
Marner: 25 points in 32 career playoff games
Nylander: 23 points in 32 career playoff games

It's not amazing, but that's still pretty good production for these guys who are all still under the age of 25.

Auston Matthews - 1 goal in 7 games this season. 351 points in 339 regular season games.

Mitch Marner - 358 points in 355 regular season games. no goals in his last 18 playoff games.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:25 AM   #12856
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
They only have a back-up goalie under contract next season, and he was definitely exposed as not good enough in these playoffs.
He was? I guess a 1.81 GAA and a .934 save percentage doesn't cut it. He was not the reason Toronto lost, not remotely. His regular season numbers were great too, he is definitely the #1 goalie going forward and rightfully so. We see a lot of goalies break out in their late 20's, look at Markstrom.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #12857
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So apparently MacKinnon's playoff production is about as high Marner's and Matthew's combined.

When it comes to the playoffs, either MacKinnon is amazing or Marner and Matthews are very disappointing.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #12858
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It's a team game, and having all your best players be tiny, soft wingers doesn't exactly sound like a killer way to build a team IMO
I would assume Marner coming in would mean Gaudreau being moved in a different deal. The average height and weight of the Avalanche is identical to the Flames and the Penguins are even smaller. The killer way to build teams is to have a lot of high level skill as the size approach is somewhat dated.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #12859
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would assume Marner coming in would mean Gaudreau being moved in a different deal. The average height and weight of the Avalanche is identical to the Flames and the Penguins are even smaller. The killer way to build teams is to have a lot of high level skill as the size approach is somewhat dated.
So you move Tkachuk to get Marner and you move Gaudreau in a separate deal and all the sudden you have the same problem on LW you currently have on RW.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #12860
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you move Tkachuk to get Marner and you move Gaudreau in a separate deal and all the sudden you have the same problem on LW you currently have on RW.
LOL LW is not going to be an issue for this organization. Marner is right winger with RHS which is something that has eluded this team for a long time.
Closed Thread