Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 07:11 PM   #12701
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Yeah, I used to think the same way you do about player development. Then the Vegas expansion happened. I think that in order to stick in the NHL a player needs to carve himself a role. That role largely depends on the team, and veterans already in place. I think that Calgary is a more difficult place to develop an offensive game. For example, Mangiapane is still not seeing PP1 time despite being one of the team's better weapons 5 on 5. Backlund was also never given the opportunity on the top PP(I am thinking about his career year offensively).

I think that Jagr had a lot of influence on the development of Barkov and Huberdeau. As for Draisaitl I think McDavid definitely helped in taking the pressure off him, and being fed PP time was huge with building his confidence.

That's a part of the reason why I think Monahan had a much more successful career in Calgary than Bennett. I think he was given a much longer leash, and had no pressure to succeed right away.
Yeah the Monahan-Bennett thing will be an interesting case study one day. Monahan started off so strong probably because his body was already NHL ready, but his growth really tapered off compared to a Barkov, Mackinnon, Draisaitl and etc who all just kept growing and growing and growing to elite levels.

It’s hard for me to tell who’s ultimately going to end being the better offensive player though because their games are polar opposites. But both look like centers who need dynamic wingers to really excel in the offensive zone. Although, Bennett probably has to get the edge for lower salary and everything else he brings to the table. His physicality and intensity especially in the playoffs is such a game changer and he can play in the guts of the game which the Flames do lack. His shot is nothing special, but you can score 25 being a net front guy. I don't know, it’s gonna be a really interesting topic of discussion in the near future.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:13 PM   #12702
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Which is why I think the Flames have no plan, or not a very good one. Seems like every year they have an opportunity to gain a good draft position but go ahead and win a few games here and there.
Through Brad Treliving's tenure as GM, the top three picks in the draft have all been awarded by lottery. You cannot plan to win a lottery; there's nothing you can do to make it happen.

At present, if I understand the latest rule change correctly, you can tank your way into the #3 pick, but only one team can do that in a given year. The way some fans talk, you'd think that every team outside the playoffs can just throw the rest of their games and finish dead last. Uh… half the league misses the playoffs now, but only one of those teams finishes last. And the players on those non-playoff teams aren't just going to play badly on purpose, because they have their own careers to think of.

The idea that you can win a championship by losing deliberately is a fantasy.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:16 PM   #12703
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Through Brad Treliving's tenure as GM, the top three picks in the draft have all been awarded by lottery. You cannot plan to win a lottery; there's nothing you can do to make it happen.

At present, if I understand the latest rule change correctly, you can tank your way into the #3 pick, but only one team can do that in a given year. The way some fans talk, you'd think that every team outside the playoffs can just throw the rest of their games and finish dead last. Uh… half the league misses the playoffs now, but only one of those teams finishes last. And the players on those non-playoff teams aren't just going to play badly on purpose, because they have their own careers to think of.

No team loses deliberately, ever.

Teams do rebuild, and trade current assets for future assets.

By definition, that means teams will be less good than they would have been, as those teams have traded current value for futures.

But that’s not it losing deliberately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #12704
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post

Flames knew this team was a long shot even if they made the playoffs. Could have rested Monahan, played some young guys? This team seems to have a habit of playing poorly and then winning when they are pretty much out of it. Sometimes one or two spots is the difference between a very good player, which is something this team sorely needs.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 05-28-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:17 PM   #12705
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Monahan should have been out if he was hurt. Valimaki should have been playing 20+ every game. Phillips should have got more than 1 game. Etc etc. This idea that a culture was being built is BS. No player is going into next season and reflecting on a few of the most meaningless games in NHL history.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 11:27 PM   #12706
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Monahan should have been out if he was hurt.
This is the one that jumps out to me. He hurt the team and from a personal view he sewered his career this year.

What was the upside?
Old 05-29-2021, 08:01 PM   #12707
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last edited by Poe969; 05-29-2021 at 08:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poe969 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 08:21 PM   #12708
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

per Friedman on HNIC, Seth Jones has told the Blue Jackets that he intends to test free agency
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 08:37 PM   #12709
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
This is the one that jumps out to me. He hurt the team and from a personal view he sewered his career this year.

What was the upside?
Might have made the playoffs!!!

Old 05-29-2021, 08:40 PM   #12710
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
per Friedman on HNIC, Seth Jones has told the Blue Jackets that he intends to test free agency
I really hope it's his dream to play n Calgary...

(checks capfriendly)

... for league minimum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 08:41 PM   #12711
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet PHI is all over Seth Jones. Though they'll probably try to get Hamilton for 'free' first.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:45 PM   #12712
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I bet PHI is all over Seth Jones. Though they'll probably try to get Hamilton for 'free' first.
He will probably end up in Vegas somehow.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:58 PM   #12713
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Seattle will play big in the Free Agency department.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2021, 12:03 AM   #12714
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can see Holland throwing money at Seth Jones. He’s gonna burn through that so called cap space they got.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:44 AM   #12715
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

What team could use a Seth Jones?

What team needs a Seth Jones?

Every team......

He’ll break the bank if he wants too, likely getting over $10M per season on a 7 year deal, unless he signs with the team he’s traded to, where he will get 8 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2021, 06:52 AM   #12716
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without looking at Washington’s cap situation, I’d guess them or Pittsburgh will be in on him hard. His dad also played in the region so I could see him familiar with the city.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:07 AM   #12717
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
WTF? Is this some "insiders" only post??? You just too cool to actually have to write anything down and just use that silly blow up emoji ???

Sorry I'm not a cool guy, insider like you and don't get it.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:10 AM   #12718
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had wrote about Seth Jones not staying in CBJ but then I couldn't find a tweet or anything and wondered if I heard it wrong.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:53 AM   #12719
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Everything else equal, that works. But the Flames' situation being short picks and an adequate prospect pipeline, they're starting from an extreme deficit, thus playing out to an extended window of mediocrity (at best).

I think this is where there's a growing sense a more full-blown rebuild is needed. Never a guarantee it will work, but I think it's easy to see how the chips are likely to unfold if they stay the course, much like how things have gone for the last ~30 years.

The standard simply can't be what we've done.
1st bolded.

Do you mean going forward?

Because thats just wrong. The Flames have 9 picks in the first 3 rounds over the next two drafts.

2nd bolded.

Again there is no point in discussing a full rebuild/tear down of this club for at least another year and more likely two. With both BT and Sutter in possession of contracts that run through the 22-23 season, this club will be trying to compete now. Those are the marching orders and why Sutter is behind the bench again.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:01 AM   #12720
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1399000607348961282
https://twitter.com/user/status/1398999110460575746

Jones had an awful year apparently, buyer beware.

Last edited by Tkachukwagon; 05-30-2021 at 08:05 AM.
Closed Thread