Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #4721
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Just in case you want to read the whole debate transcript sometime....

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts...ranscript-2020
Nope, turns out I can't get through more than a minute of it in print form, either.

What a disaster.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #4722
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I missed the debate

I didn't miss the debate.

The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #4723
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The next several weeks/months are gonna be an absolute gong show, and violence is likely inevitable at this point. Trump just pouring gasoline on the fire last night.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...l-out-n1241512

Quote:
The Proud Boys, a far-right extremist group, pledged allegiance to President Donald Trump on Tuesday night after he told the group to "stand back and stand by" during the first presidential debate.

Many people on social media who identify with the group echoed that language, saying they were "standing down and standing by." One known social media account for the group made "Stand back. Stand by" part of its new logo.
Quote:
On the Proud Boys' account on the social media app Telegram, the group appeared to take the statement as marching orders.

"Standing down and standing by sir," the account wrote. The account then posted two videos of the answer, including one with the caption "God. Family. Brotherhood," in which a man howled at the TV in response to Trump's response.

Megan Squire, a computer science professor at Elon University in North Carolina who tracks online extremism, said Trump's giving the Proud Boys orders was their long-sought "fantasy."

"To say Proud Boys are energized by this is an understatement," Squire said. "They were pro-Trump before this shoutout, and they are absolutely over the moon now. Their fantasy is to fight antifa in his defense, and he apparently just asked them to do just that."
Quote:
David French, a conservative commentator who has been critical of Trump, tweeted that Trump's comments were "a call to be ready."

"In a nation wracked by unrest, that was one of the most irresponsible and reprehensible statements I've ever seen from a president," French wrote.
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 07:57 AM   #4724
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post

It fits nicely with the revelations about his personal finances. He's all about the short game with no care for the long game. Make himself look good at the moment is all he cares about, even if there is no foundation and it's all just built on debt.

I agree with this strategy and add that it would have been masterful to play this "all about the short game" into the fact that he has golfed practically every day of his presidency.

Overall, I was disappointed with Biden. He looked old and struggled to keep his train of thought. Trump left so many openings and very few were taken. The few times that Biden did well were in talking about COVID and in addressing Trump's attacks on his son.

Overall, I think Biden comes out ahead here because all this did was energize both sides. Trump's base was already voting. This may bring out a few more on the left or undecideds for Biden.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:00 AM   #4725
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I heard him say it live.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:06 AM   #4726
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1311148351811915778
Old 09-30-2020, 08:11 AM   #4727
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to even know what to make of those numbers. If Biden started more positive and Trump started more negative they might actually be bad for Biden. If the 42% of people who responded "worse" for Trump already despised him, then the debate had no real impact.

I'm just assuming that the 24% who thought better of Trump as a result are just Trump supporters who were going to say positive things about his performance even if he'd worn a swastika armband and set the building on fire.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #4728
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I expected Trump to be a sheet show, I expected him to lie and bully and to say stupid stuff.

I thought Biden would be better, but he was really underwhelming in this debate and I think his team did a really poor job of preparing him.

Trump probably won't see much of a drop in his ratings, but I don't think that Biden is going to gain anything, and the undecided number might actually grow.
I don’t think it’s Biden’s team, I think it’s Biden. He looks liked this is all of the primary debates too.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #4729
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the frustration people feel is that they think of all the things they'd have said if they were in the position of the guy they like. Like I'd have said this or that when Trump said this stupid thing. It's like those missed opportunities in life where you just stomp off like a mad eagle instead of saying exactly what you should have said but didn't think of until too late.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:32 AM   #4730
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Lol from Reddit:

Old 09-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #4731
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone undecided at this point is a Trumper still rationalizing it to themselves.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 08:54 AM   #4732
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Undecided voters from about August 2017 until now are just Trump voters who don't want to admit it.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 09:00 AM   #4733
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
I am trying to think of what Trump has done for Alberta? I think he has been really bad for the Alberta Oil industry. He has worked to suppress the price of oil, which is the number one driver for a healthy patch. A higher price over the past four years would have been a cure for a lot of the ills the province has seen. Keystone XL will be great once its finished, but approval and construction even languished under Trump. Not to mention the off and on again tariffs on Canadian goods, poor handling of Covid which is causing prolonged boarder closing which is a big blow to trade and especially to the Alberta tourist industry.

Biden would hopefully bring in the environmental regulations that will allow the US to keep on producing oil but it a more responsible way. This should limit the pace of growth which in turn helps Oil prices and therefore Alberta. Also have more balanced trade policy's especially with its neighbors and allies.
Out of thanks but this is a very well reasoned post. I don't think there is much of an informed Albertan pro Trump viewpoint. If you're pro Trump in Alberta it's probably for the same reasons people are pro Trump in montana. Saying Alberta needs Trump is pretty silly.

is your cat doing singing?
Old 09-30-2020, 09:17 AM   #4734
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Why are you all convinced that Kamala is good in a debate format. She was pretty poor in the Democratic primary debates. I mean if it were her yesterday, would she have told Trump to shut up more? Then the media would be oooooooh, a woman is so bitchy.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #4735
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who cares how good or poorly she will do. These debates are a farce. No one is making their decision after these last four years based on these debates unless they were in a coma for 3.5 of them.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #4736
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Who cares how good or poorly she will do. These debates are a farce. No one is making their decision after these last four years based on these debates unless they were in a coma for 3.5 of them.

Of course, the tv networks want it to be a farce, they want the ratings. Otherwise, they would turn off Trump's mic.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #4737
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Why are you all convinced that Kamala is good in a debate format. She was pretty poor in the Democratic primary debates. I mean if it were her yesterday, would she have told Trump to shut up more? Then the media would be oooooooh, a woman is so bitchy.
The good thing for Kamala is that Trump gave her a lot to work with.

She can basically use it to reinforce what a terrible person Trump is.

She's got "You're running mate is calling on white supremacist groups to 'Stand Down, Stand by'"

and "When asked about race all your running mate could say is 'Law and order'"

If she and her team are smart, which they are, they should be able to take this opportunity to make all the points Biden wasn't able to make because he had a petulant child yelling over him.

Pence is more likely to play by the rules, so on a straight debate, let's say it's a toss up, but Kamala is coming in with a lot more to work with.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #4738
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've said this repeatedly, but how the rest of you aren't bored a #### right now is beyond me. We've been playing out the string for months now, Trump is quite clearly going to lose the election, and we're just waiting to see how he plans on staying in power in the aftermath. There are no undecides to convince, and virtually nothing can be done by either candidate that will cost them support. November 4th is when things get interesting again, but those of you who suffered through that last night, I just ask myself why? Masochists I guess to suffer through Trump's played out circus act.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:31 AM   #4739
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Exactly. It doesn't matter who would debate Trump, if the debates are held the way it was last night it would still be a giant mess.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #4740
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
The good thing for Kamala is that Trump gave her a lot to work with.

She can basically use it to reinforce what a terrible person Trump is.

She's got "You're running mate is calling on white supremacist groups to 'Stand Down, Stand by'"

and "When asked about race all your running mate could say is 'Law and order'"

If she and her team are smart, which they are, they should be able to take this opportunity to make all the points Biden wasn't able to make because he had a petulant child yelling over him.

Pence is more likely to play by the rules, so on a straight debate, let's say it's a toss up, but Kamala is coming in with a lot more to work with.
Pence is a very good speaker. The VP debate should actually be pretty interesting especially if moderated well.
Closed Thread