Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2019, 05:23 PM   #621
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
There's a lot of sarcasm in that post, but there is a lot of truth too. If everyone didn't have guns the world would be a better place.
I hear you, but there is no need to be carrying a gun in our modern, contemporary society. We have institutions and systems in place - both public and private - to not need a gun or a weapon of that extreme nature. Not even most criminals you need to defend yourself from - if it even comes to that, which it doesn't for 99% of people - carry guns themselves.

Police, military, and museum curators are the only ones who actually need to be in possession of them. And the latter keeps them on display in a glass case with a tripwire from overzealous kids.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #622
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually kind of get why some groups of people may want firearms for personal security.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #623
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

in a country that has more guns than citizens, an outright ban wouldn't do a lot of good... more likely it would create a black market economy of more untraceable weapons because even the responsible/legal gun owners would be forced to go underground...

black market guns in toronto, for example, is a pretty lucrative marketplace because of canadian gun control laws and access to a 'free market' of guns in the US.

Moreover, there would be a substantial portion of US gun owners who would view this move as something that is a step away from tyranny in the states and certainly the nut jobs like Alex Jones would be fanning those flames of civil insurrection...there is a substantial group of americans who do not trust the institutions in place; trying to ban all firearms feeds into that paranoia.

at this point, there are no easy solutions, some incremental changes is the only thing that 'might' get passed, but if you can't even pass minor legislation like universal background checks in the aftermath of Newtown, its going to take a paradigm shift of all americans - something that i cannot see happening.

its a sad truth, but i don't think anything happens of substance... maybe you'll be able to ban extended magazines, but unlikely there will be anything more than that. Not under this president and not under this supreme court.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #624
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gun talk is so boring to me. The rabid gun nuts are people I tend to want to stay far away from - because they can be dangerous, and their nattering about guns is annoying.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:39 PM   #625
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s what you say now. Just give it a year and you’ll be as bad as the rest of them.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:46 PM   #626
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Which part?
Non lethal ammo. I know about blanks, but are there non lethal types of ammo for let’s say an AK-47 that would just hurt but not kill? I suppose it makes sense but I never really considered that.

Of course, I imagine that the lethality of the gun/ammo is pretty key for most staunch supporters of gun rights.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #627
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Non lethal ammo. I know about blanks, but are there non lethal types of ammo for let’s say an AK-47 that would just hurt but not kill? I suppose it makes sense but I never really considered that.

Of course, I imagine that the lethality of the gun/ammo is pretty key for most staunch supporters of gun rights.
Yeah essentially rubber bullets. They make them for pretty much every gun. Essentially a piece of rubber that's sent down the muzzle from a blank cartridge. Some guns need to be modified to use them

Last edited by btimbit; 08-06-2019 at 05:53 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #628
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned as I haven't been following this thread from the beginning but I have to think that Canada has its gun laws pretty decent. I have the guns that I need to hunt and feel protected in the wilderness but nothing beyond that. I know many people that have their restricted licence and have a few collectibles and handguns that they target shoot with. I don't think I would "use it" enough to bother getting my restricted licence nor do I have any desire to start being a collector.
I know the odd nutbar can slip through the cracks, and people that want to have all sorts of "fun guns" will disagree with me, but I really think we are doing it right.
schteve_d is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #629
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned as I haven't been following this thread from the beginning but I have to think that Canada has its gun laws pretty decent. I have the guns that I need to hunt and feel protected in the wilderness but nothing beyond that. I know many people that have their restricted licence and have a few collectibles and handguns that they target shoot with. I don't think I would "use it" enough to bother getting my restricted licence nor do I have any desire to start being a collector.
I know the odd nutbar can slip through the cracks, and people that want to have all sorts of "fun guns" will disagree with me, but I really think we are doing it right.
I agree completely. There's some guns that are prohibited that I wish were restricted, and some restricted guns I wish were non restricted simply because the rules are a little arbitrary, but overall I think it's a good system
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #630
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good news everyone, we don't need to ban guns after all. Walmart to the rescue:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b01ae816c8b3bd

Ya, that should just about do it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:09 PM   #631
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Good news everyone, we don't need to ban guns after all. Walmart to the rescue:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b01ae816c8b3bd

Ya, that should just about do it.

How incredibly tacky of Walmart. Maybe they could also stop selling guns and ammunition. Maybe Michael Moore could to shame them like he did with Kmart.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:24 AM   #632
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
How incredibly tacky of Walmart. Maybe they could also stop selling guns and ammunition. Maybe Michael Moore could to shame them like he did with Kmart.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:46 AM   #633
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Gotta stand up for the Captain here. His numbers were pretty accurate.

From the USMC. M16A2 Maximum effective range:
Area target: 2,624.8 feet (800 meters)
Point target: 1,804.5 feet (550 meters)

AR-15 is 600 and 400 meters.
With what load? The standard NATO M855 load that is used for the m16a2 uses a 62 grain bullet. What's being shot out of the AR? 50 gr? 53 gr? 55? 69? The heavier the bullet the farther the range. How much powder? Look at a ballistic chart. The bullet doesnt care what fire selection the rifle may have, its dependent on barrel length and fps. Operation specs and ballistic charts are two different things.

Quote:
The one I shot was accurate as hell, considering the vintage and the iron sights. Able to cover a quarter at 200 yards all day while sand bagged. And yes, the damn think kicks like crazy, compared to my Ruger Precision .308. Still a great gun to shoot and one I'd happily add to the collection.
So a old (read eroded throat) iron sighted m1a shoots a quarter sized group at 200 yards, that's what, .3 MOA? Please advise as to where one can purchase said mythical m1a, and optometrist.

The Ruger PRS weighs as much as a standard 22" m1a with irons, that's before glass and of course you realize your ruger has a muzzle break.
Come on man.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 07:06 AM   #634
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Texas, the state that has had four of the 10 most deadly mass shootings in U.S. history, has an idea. Let’s allow guns in more places.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/us/te...f42f2-94472065
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:31 AM   #635
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Texas, the state that has had four of the 10 most deadly mass shootings in U.S. history, has an idea. Let’s allow guns in more places.

Ya, but how many grains were in the bullets? That's the important conversation.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 07:32 AM   #636
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Gun talk is so boring to me. The rabid gun nuts are people I tend to want to stay far away from - because they can be dangerous, and their nattering about guns is annoying.
This is my first post in this thread because as you say it’s a boring topic. I’m always amazed when people are shocked when there’s a mass shooting in a country of 325 million where citizens have a right to bear arms. I’m anti-gun but it’s not my country so I really don’t see what’s to debate as a Canadian. What do you guys talk about over all these pages relating to Americans and their love for guns?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:34 AM   #637
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, but how many grains were in the bullets? That's the important conversation.
Science denier.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #638
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Science denier.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #639
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like the US is sufficiently scared just like the government wants. Backfiring motorcycle causes panic in Times Square. Geez.

Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #640
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post

doesn't Texas have open carry?

loosening gun control won't make a difference one way or another...maybe its time to try going a little in the other direction for a change
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote