Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #61
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The Mikael Backlund thing is really interesting from a modern stats point of view. He has 1 goal, he is -7, all of that says he should be demoted as he has.

Yet the guy as per usual in his career is one of the top possession players on the team meaning that although not a lot of good is happening when he's out there at least the limits the bad.

(having said that, and I'm a Backlund fan for the most part, he hasn't looked as good to me in the details this season as in the past)
Backlund is definitely an argument against possession stats right now.

He is playing no where near as well as he was last season - it isn't close.

Yet his possession numbers continue to suggest he is getting the job done.

One player. Anecdotal. But a complete fail for possession numbers.

And I agree with you about his time running out - unless he can raise his level of play, his time in the NHL is numbered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #62
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ramo didnt seem to have his usual moments getting caught way out of position on Saturday. Hopefully he has a good night and he and the team can build some confidence.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #63
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hopefully they were listening to Rhett this morning and they sit the 4th line most of the game.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #64
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Feeling like we see a big game from Gaudreau tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #65
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I like Backlund too but he just doesn't seem very consistently strong... Wonder if he is traded in next few years.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #66
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Ramo didnt seem to have his usual moments getting caught way out of position on Saturday. Hopefully he has a good night and he and the team can build some confidence.
I thought he went way wide short side on a few occasions. His "inside leg" seems to me to be way farther outside the post than it needs to be. Whcih means that he has that much further to get back across. But he didn't get burned on it.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #67
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Yeah I like Backlund too but he just doesn't seem very consistently strong... Wonder if he is traded in next few weeks.
I changed your post because I do think this is an obvious change Treliving can make should he want or need to shake things up. Backlund has value and the Flames can replace him internally with Granlund or Arnold.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #68
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I thought he went way wide short side on a few occasions. His "inside leg" seems to me to be way farther outside the post than it needs to be. Whcih means that he has that much further to get back across. But he didn't get burned on it.
Ya i know exactly what your talking about. It just didnt seem quite as bad on saturday. Usually you cringe and gasp when it happens, last game it was only cringe no gasp.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #69
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
I changed your post because I do think this is an obvious change Treliving can make should he want or need to shake things up. Backlund has value and the Flames can replace him internally with Granlund or Arnold.

True but I'm still hoping backlund can turn it around. He competes hard out there and has made steady progress on his game over the past 2-3 seasons. Just needs to have a break out night I think. He might need a night in the press box to get him going though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #70
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Backlund is starting to turn into one of those players who appear 'in position' but totally let their man get the puck open in the slot. I don't know if it is lack of effort or no passion. There have been at minimum 3 goals this year directly a result of him being soft on his man or not reading the play and letting his man open in the slot.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #71
MoreDrank
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Backlund is definitely an argument against possession stats right now.

He is playing no where near as well as he was last season - it isn't close.

Yet his possession numbers continue to suggest he is getting the job done.

One player. Anecdotal. But a complete fail for possession numbers.

And I agree with you about his time running out - unless he can raise his level of play, his time in the NHL is numbered.
That's why you have to look at other numbers in addition to "possession numbers" which I'm assuming you mean your corsi and fenwick numbers.

He's shooting at 4.3% right now, way below league average. He's shooting at the net. He's getting his chances. Sooner or later those shots are going to start going in.

Doesn't mean a complete fail for possession numbers. Just that you can't look at any stat in isolation.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #72
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreDrank View Post
That's why you have to look at other numbers in addition to "possession numbers" which I'm assuming you mean your corsi and fenwick numbers.

He's shooting at 4.3% right now, way below league average. He's shooting at the net. He's getting his chances. Sooner or later those shots are going to start going in.

Doesn't mean a complete fail for possession numbers. Just that you can't look at any stat in isolation.
I was referring to them all in the aggregate.

And that is precisely the point. He may have good Corsi numbers, but if you look at the chances he is creating (very soft shots from non-scoring areas) and compare that to the chances his opponents are getting (point blank), he is losing the battle by a mile.

The numbers say he has been fine.

BUt anyone watching Flames games knows he has been anything but fine so far this year. (I have always been a Backlund supporter)
Old 11-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #73
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Meh
Backlund will turn it around
Gio will turn it around
Russell will turn it around

They were all playing at a consistently high level mere months ago. That ability doesn't just disappear entirely in that time. This stretch doesn't define Backlund as a player, and sounds like Harts had a good talk with him about what he needs to do and I'm sure he's working on it.

Hell, Crosby is 166th in league scoring currently. It doesn't mean he's suddenly a 3rd/2nd line tweener now. Chill and have some faith in the guys you've watched for several seasons now. Bad starts happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScorchyScorch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #74
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchyScorch View Post
Meh
Gio will turn it around

They were all playing at a consistently high level mere months ago. That ability doesn't just disappear entirely in that time. This stretch doesn't define Backlund as a player, and sounds like Harts had a good talk with him about what he needs to do and I'm sure he's working on it.

Hell, Crosby is 166th in league scoring currently. It doesn't mean he's suddenly a 3rd/2nd line tweener now. Chill and have some faith in the guys you've watched for several seasons now. Bad starts happen.

Well said. I prefer this approach with these guys for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #75
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Meh
Gio will turn it around

Brad should get on that. His trade value has never been lower
Old 11-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #76
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Flames vs Avalanche - 7:00 - SNetFlames

looks like Kristen Hallet is back doing game day videos
Old 11-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #77
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Meh
Gio will turn it around

Not the best comparison with Crosby. Gio I will give you as he has been playing at a high level for years. Backlund and Russell's careers don't give me any belief they will turn it around. Russell was on waivers just over 2 years ago and Backlund was on the verge of being in the AHL "whizzing past the graveyard" is how Feaster worded it I believe

These players are no where near as proven as the Crosby example you give to compare situations
Old 11-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #78
Armchair Quarterback
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Please win.

Go Flames
Old 11-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #79
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just win .Good , Bad ,Fugly don't care ! 2 big points , 110 %
#Boblieve

k can't cliche anymore makes me wince. GFG!
Old 11-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #80
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is time Johnny. It is time.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin