Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Culkin out 6-8 weeks with a shoulder injury

@Fan960Steinberg 8m8 minutes ago
Culkin has a shoulder injury. Coach Huska says out 6-8 weeks. #Flames

@Fan960Steinberg 7m7 minutes ago
Horrible news for Culkin. Had the end of last season wiped out with a wrist injury. Now a long term shoulder injury. #Flames

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 09-13-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
Money Baer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Poor kid can't catch a break.

Here's to a speedy recovery.
Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I can't imagine the mental stress of having severe injuries when you're trying to make the NHL. It's got to be pretty tough to know you're so close to your dream but know that your injuries could very well be the end of the road.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember seeing him go down and sliding into the boards with some Oiler on top of him, and was worried. Then I saw him skating to the bench, and then he looked at the bench and said something, pointing to his shoulder. I was hoping the conversation went something like: "Hey Culkin, did you just slide headfirst into the boards? hahaha", to which I hoped he replied: "Nah, it was my shoulder, not my face.", and thought he was smiling. After not seeing him out for a while, I guess what I saw was a grimace, not a smile
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's even more annoying that this happened in a young stars game grrr
Old 09-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sucks. He was on the verge of getting a call-up prior to his wrist injury, now it will be almost a year between competitive games for him.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly why you don't play your high end prospects every game in the pretty meaningless tournament. Not ragging on Huska at all, just shows holding McDavid and Bennett out of a game or two is smart.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #8
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Exactly why you don't play your high end prospects every game in the pretty meaningless tournament. Not ragging on Huska at all, just shows holding McDavid and Bennett out of a game or two is smart.
This post makes no sense.....he could have been hurt if he played on shift. Should they bubble wrap everyone ?
Old 09-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This tournament is about development and also helps the prospects get ready for main training camp.

A meaningless tournament is the World Cup of hockey. Hopefully, flames players don't get selected for that crap. Hate to lose any of our guys to an injury in that meaningless tournament.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #10
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor guy. Bennett came back from Shoulder surgery, so will Culkin. Good luck.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #11
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlameDog View Post
This post makes no sense.....he could have been hurt if he played on shift. Should they bubble wrap everyone ?

Of course not, but every time you're on the ice there's a risk of injury, especially a game where guys are hitting hard to make a good impression. So it's smart to limit your blue chip prospects ice time in a rather meaningless tournament, knowing that they'll be at regular training camp right after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
This tournament is about development and also helps the prospects get ready for main training camp.

A meaningless tournament is the World Cup of hockey. Hopefully, flames players don't get selected for that crap. Hate to lose any of our guys to an injury in that meaningless tournament.

Seriously? Look I'm not really a fan of the World Cup either but it doesn't come close to the meaninglessness of the Penticton tournament. Poll any NHLer and ask if they'd rather be part of the World Cup or Young Stars tournament, it's an obvious answer.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #12
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably just misses the first 8 games of the AHL season. Not the end of the world.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #13
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Poll any NHLer and ask if they'd rather be part of the World Cup or Young Stars tournament, it's an obvious answer.
That's because it's a silly question. NHLers aren't eligible to be part of the Young Stars tournament. The players who are eligible are trying to get noticed so they can earn an NHL spot. Ask them if they'd rather be part of the Young Stars, or just skip that tournament and take their chances in the main training camp. You might just get a different answer.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #14
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
That's because it's a silly question. NHLers aren't eligible to be part of the Young Stars tournament. The players who are eligible are trying to get noticed so they can earn an NHL spot. Ask them if they'd rather be part of the Young Stars, or just skip that tournament and take their chances in the main training camp. You might just get a different answer.

Well then we agree to a point. For the borderline prospects this tourney as vital however my argument is for guys like Bennett, McDavid, etc. Why bother risking an injury to one of those guys when you know they are 100% coming into main training camp and in all likelihood making the team to start the season. It's the same reason why the vets don't play every single pre-season game. Winning the pre-season is meaningless and is mainly to work out the kinks before the season starts. Play them every game and you run the risk of injury for no reason. Would you want to see Giordano play every pre-season game? Then why do you want to see a guy like Bennett play all of the games of this tournament?
Old 09-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #15
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #16
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well then we agree to a point. For the borderline prospects this tourney as vital however my argument is for guys like Bennett, McDavid, etc. Why bother risking an injury to one of those guys when you know they are 100% coming into main training camp and in all likelihood making the team to start the season.
I agree with you about the conclusion. I just don't agree that your argument gets you there. Of course Bennett and McDavid are coming into main training camp. But that does not put them on the same footing as established NHLers. The comparison was kind of overboard.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #17
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with you about the conclusion. I just don't agree that your argument gets you there. Of course Bennett and McDavid are coming into main training camp. But that does not put them on the same footing as established NHLers. The comparison was kind of overboard.
And I would add that Culkin is hardly a blue-chipper. He can use the time here and hopefully boost his stock at main camp. Just a bad break for him, but hopefully something he can bounce back from.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #18
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the sake of everyone's shoulder health, I think the Flames should retire #63 and ensure nobody ever wears it again...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #19
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I remember seeing him go down and sliding into the boards with some Oiler on top of him, and was worried. Then I saw him skating to the bench, and then he looked at the bench and said something, pointing to his shoulder. I was hoping the conversation went something like: "Hey Culkin, did you just slide headfirst into the boards? hahaha", to which I hoped he replied: "Nah, it was my shoulder, not my face.", and thought he was smiling. After not seeing him out for a while, I guess what I saw was a grimace, not a smile
And he was getting chirped by Chase the whole time he was skating off the ice to the dressing room
Old 09-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #20
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well Bennett's not playing tonight. I assume you think he should because he's not an established veteran yet?