Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2024, 04:51 PM   #41
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad for Cillian Murphy. I've been a fan since Batman Begins.

Edit: Although Jeffrey Wright should have been recognized for eating that Martini olive in American Fiction.

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 03-11-2024 at 05:00 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:54 PM   #42
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Did Maestro win?
Mercifully, no. Not a single award.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:57 PM   #43
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Mercifully, no. Not a single award.
Good, it's sub-Tár.

Heyooooh!
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 04:59 PM   #44
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's what those of us watching live saw ^

Pretty normal reaction for an impartial observer to notice that and have the impression that it doesn't look good.

There would have been photo ops after the fact which I'm guessing those photos are from. But that's not what we saw live, and it stuck out.

Also KHQ isn't just a rando actor presenter. He's the preceding winner. Seems like it's social convention if nothing else to acknowledge the winner before you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You’re a clown. Go find somewhere else to troll.

Omg. RDJ how could you! Let’s cancel him! He’s clearly a monster!

Woof. That's quite an inordinate reaction to being called wrong. Way to jump to personal attacks and scramble to do investigative work on the Google to double down instead of just rewatching it and recognizing what the rest of us saw.

Obviously RDJ has been though some #### and isn't cut from the same cloth as a guy like Murphy. It's not so much about cancel culture as much as calling a spade a spade when you see it. RDJ is a great actor at the end of the day and will continue to find work. This won't change that and shouldn't.

KHQ still deserved better during the presentation, even if it was done inadvertently by RDJ because of the big-ness of that moment.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 03-11-2024 at 05:05 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:01 PM   #45
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You’re a clown. Go find somewhere else to troll.

Omg. RDJ how could you! Let’s cancel him! He’s clearly a monster!

When did Tim Robbins start looking like Joe Biden?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 05:08 PM   #46
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didnt watch the Oscars, but man, Ke Huy Quan is awesome. His demeanor is so pleasant he seems like just a great guy to be around!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 05:10 PM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
When did Tim Robbins start looking like Joe Biden?
Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Perhaps a 'Dave' scenario?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 06:58 PM   #48
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1767336530878628087
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:04 PM   #49
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to finish the show on recording today, so apologies for the late response.

I've watched a lot of Oscars shows, and I think that was probably one of the best produced shows in the last couple of decades. Flowed well, good stage production, good writers, and I even enjoyed the ego-fest of having previous winners talk up each nominee for acting. It's fun to hear great actors talk about other great actors, and to have them all on stage at the same time saying "welcome to the club" to the winner. I think it's a nice touch of star power, so I can overlook the cringe factor.

It felt like they got most of these awards right. I have a real soft spot for Paul Giammatti, so I'm a little sad he didn't win, but it's hard not to give the award to Cillian Murphy. He's been one of my favorite actors for a long while, and was richly deserving of his award.

I personally didn't find Robert Downey Jr. to be all that exceptional in Oppenheimer, and definitely not worthy of an award. It may not be a popular opinion, but I thought that was one of the top 2 or 3 performances of Robert DeNiro's career, but of course he's had his awards already, and that's where this becomes political. I would have preferred Mark Ruffalo's scoundrel over Downey as well, but it may just be a personal preference thing.

As much as I loved Lily Gladstone's work, it's obvious to me that Stone deserved her award. That performance is really hard to pull off and be believable. Making that insane world and character accessible to the audience, while still maintaining much of the weirdness, was truly incredible. I don't think it would have been fair to overlook her, even though she's been celebrated before.

Best director and picture for Nolan and Thomas was long overdue. This is where there is a slight political way that people vote if the films are relatively close in quality. Not that Oppenheimer wasn't deserving, but Nolan had waited a long time to get his award (nominated 8 times!) and finally was granted one. Yorgos Lanthimos could have easily won for Poor Things had it not been for Nolan's patient waiting.

As far as the nominated films go, I'd have to rank them in this order, partly based on quality, and partly on personal preference. If you haven't seen any of these I would watch them in this order (note: I have yet to see Zone of Interest or Past Lives, so I can't rank them):

-The Holdovers
-Oppenheimer
-Killers of the Flower Moon
-Poor Things
-Anatomy of a Fall
-American Fiction
-Barbie
-Maestro

I had considered the Oscars to be dying for the last few years, especially as audience interest waned, but I think this is the year it returned to form. It helps that the films that were nominated and won were mostly films that everyone went out to see. I hope that trend of great big revenue films that are also award worthy continues.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 10:23 PM   #50
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as celebrity get-togethers go, they should resurrect a Battle of the Network Stars style event every year. Those were entertaining, and holy crap do I feel old now.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 01:18 AM   #51
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
They can thank The Slap(tm) for the resurgence in viewership.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:23 AM   #52
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I think it's more of the Barbenheimer effect in two box office hits duelling it out to see who is best. It'll be interesting to see if it carries over to next year when they can't depend on that rivalry. The same goes for the box office, without those two movies 2023 would have been a complete disaster.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 10:57 AM   #53
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wasn't aware of the "20 Days in Mariupol" documentary until I saw it listed in the Oscar nominee list.

Watched it last night, it was far worse than I imagined. It's tough to see but important to witness, I'm glad it's getting more exposure after it's win on Sun. PBS has it up for free on YouTube.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 11:07 AM   #54
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Didn't watch the show but I'm glad Emma Stone won. Her performance was incredible in Poor Things. Also, whoever posted the massive image without a spoiler deserves several rocks in their boots while walking around.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 03:09 AM   #55
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I wasn't aware of the "20 Days in Mariupol" documentary until I saw it listed in the Oscar nominee list.

Watched it last night, it was far worse than I imagined. It's tough to see but important to witness, I'm glad it's getting more exposure after it's win on Sun. PBS has it up for free on YouTube.
It was very eye-opening to just how inhumane Putin's invasion was, right from the beginning. And what was shown is just the tip of the iceberg.

A lot of unknown fates of real people shown in the doc where you just know the worst probably happened.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:11 PM   #56
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Didn't watch the show but I'm glad Emma Stone won. Her performance was incredible in Poor Things. Also, whoever posted the massive image without a spoiler deserves several rocks in their boots while walking around.
The chemistry between her and Mark Ruffalo was off the charts, he wasn't nominated but his over the top emotional reactions to her was legit belly laugh territory
BigThief is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigThief For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 06:56 PM   #57
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
The chemistry between her and Mark Ruffalo was off the charts, he wasn't nominated but his over the top emotional reactions to her was legit belly laugh territory
He was. And deservedly so, he was hilarious.

He could have won over RDJ and that would have been fine.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:55 PM   #58
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Shows how little I pay attention. Ruffalo is one of the better actors working today, consistently great.
BigThief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:30 PM   #59
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Oscars ‘24

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
^ I think it's more of the Barbenheimer effect in two box office hits duelling it out to see who is best. It'll be interesting to see if it carries over to next year when they can't depend on that rivalry. The same goes for the box office, without those two movies 2023 would have been a complete disaster.

Funny what happens when the nominee’s aren’t all for pretentious BS.

Last edited by Brendone; 03-14-2024 at 10:19 PM.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote