Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2021, 02:06 PM   #41
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Valimaki also started the season overseas and has played more hockey than almost anyone this year. Games mean nothing right now - the last 4 games arent going to make or break Valimaki's progress. Maybe he has an injury or just needs a break after playing 80+ games..

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cKy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 02:19 PM   #42
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, there are some pretty good posts here making the hairs on my back settle back down.

I am glad that Kylington is getting a chance to show Sutter what he is capable of right now. Sutter did comment a day or two ago about his 'tools', so that's a positive. I think Mackey gets into the lineup soon too.

I can see wanting to play Markstrom - that he is leaving it up to Markstrom. I guess that's important. On the flip side, I think he should also reward Domingue, and have him play some games so that perhaps he can land somewhere else next season. If I am Sutter, I know what I have in Markstrom, and I guess it makes sense to make him happy. However, I also want to see what I have in Domingue and in Zagidulin.

I will be watching regardless of who is in net. This is the 4th last game of the season, and though it has been an incredibly disappointing and even frustrating season, I know that once the playoffs are over, I will be hockey starved again. Better get as many games in now as possible.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 02:20 PM   #43
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Projected lineup:

Johnny Gaudreau - Elias Lindholm - Matthew Tkachuk

Joakim Nordstrom - Mikael Backlund - Andrew Mangiapane

Milan Lucic - Derek Ryan - Dillon Dube

Josh Leivo - Glenn Gawdin - Brett Ritchie

Mark Giordano - Christopher Tanev

Nikita Nesterov - Rasmus Andersson

Oliver Kylington - Michael Stone

Jacob Markstrom

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/proj...ks/c-324660692
No problem with Kylington getting some reps instead of Valimaki, but keeping Nesterov in doesn't make much sense. Let Valimaki handle a bit more responsibility and see how he does. Or Kylington for that matter, I don't care. But you'll never know what you have in some young players if you don't put them in situations to test their abilities. Both Stone and Andersson are capable enough veterans at this point to handle a young partner.

But really, Nordstrom on the 2nd line? Are you telling me you couldn't let Dube play on that line and let Matthew Phillips have a shot at 3rd line RW with veterans like Lucic and Ryan? He's been patient for years and is working on his game, but he's also had a pretty good year and deserves a cup of coffee in garbage time to see if he can hang with NHL players.

This organization just simply refuses to trust that any young player could add something meaningful to the team, and they're the last team in the NHL to figure this out. Every other team in the NHL readily plays guys for at least a few games every year, even if they're not 100% ready to show them what it takes to reach the NHL.

This franchise is horrible at player development, full stop. It's driving me insane.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #44
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Valimaki also started the season overseas and has played more hockey than almost anyone this year. Games mean nothing right now - the last 4 games arent going to make or break Valimaki's progress. Maybe he has an injury or just needs a break after playing 80+ games..
I do think this is likely part of it, and my guess is he ends up at the World Championship for Finland too.

I'm more confused to Mackey sitting over Valimaki at this point honestly.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #45
skcli
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am interested in the 50/50 more than the product on ice. The product is rotten and should be going to the green bin for recycling.
skcli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:37 PM   #46
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

But really, Nordstrom on the 2nd line?
Someone posted an article recently on the least effective offensive players in the league, IIRC Nordstrom was the worst in the league and Backlund was also on the list somewhere. Now they're playing together on the same line on a team starved for goals...
At least there's no fans paying money to watch these games because that's pathetic.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimdon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 02:45 PM   #47
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I know it's a tough season, and by all means I like opinion.

But I just can't believe how worked up people get over pretty much every little thing.

I'm getting old ... have gone through a lot ... maybe my perspective is changing or I'm mellowing out.

But the day to day anger about all things just blows me away.

Probably why I've never posted less.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:49 PM   #48
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ritchie, Leivo, Nordstrom, Nesterov, Stone and I’d even argue Ryan should all be sat in favour of some kids from Stockton.

None of these players have any meaningful future with the team and most of them will probably come back as they’ll be beggars, not choosers.

Not only that but it would actually get me interested in watching the team again. Haven’t watched a game since they lost to Montreal. Don’t plan on it tonight.

This organization sucks.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 02:52 PM   #49
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Probably the ex-Canucks asked to be in the lineup to renew acquaintances with their old team-mates.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #50
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames way: would trade this years first round pick if they could be guaranteed to win the next 4.

The Flames are playing for their pride...because in their eyes, that's all they'll ever have. Year after year when they're already out, they want to send a message that they still want to win. Everyone makes fun of the oilers for being the preseason champs, well the Flames are the champs when it comes to games after already being eliminated.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #51
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Wake me when there's hope with this organization again
No problem, Rip!
Rick M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:05 PM   #52
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

But I just can't believe how worked up people get over pretty much every little thing.

I'm getting old ... have gone through a lot ... maybe my perspective is changing or I'm mellowing out.

Same here

Frustrating season all around, but the anger and hostility over every little thing Flames related gets old quick
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 03:06 PM   #53
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
#nottanking
If you want to tank, might as well stick with the bunch who got us here. Adding youth and energy might actually make this team better.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:08 PM   #54
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure would be nice if dustin boyd got a chance
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #55
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To be fair this is one of the worst ever Flames seasons for a variety of reasons nevermind the perpetual mediocrity and failure Flames fans are served on a near annual basis. They not only stunk out the joint but they did so in an all Canadian division and a lot of people are on edge already given the pandemic. The Flames having a good season would have been a bright light during down times unfortunately the Flames did nothing but up the level of despair for a lot of people. I don't think any fan should have to apologize for being unhappy about the current state of the team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 03:37 PM   #56
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
To be fair this is one of the worst ever Flames seasons for a variety of reasons nevermind the perpetual mediocrity and failure Flames fans are served on a near annual basis. They not only stunk out the joint but they did so in an all Canadian division and a lot of people are on edge already given the pandemic. The Flames having a good season would have been a bright light during down times unfortunately the Flames did nothing but up the level of despair for a lot of people. I don't think any fan should have to apologize for being unhappy about the current state of the team.
For sure.

And I never suggested any one had to apologize, or change their behaviour.

But it's just not in me to be so bent out of shape at all times about all things.

Tiresome.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 03:38 PM   #57
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Flames way: would trade this years first round pick if they could be guaranteed to win the next 4.

The Flames are playing for their pride...because in their eyes, that's all they'll ever have. Year after year when they're already out, they want to send a message that they still want to win. Everyone makes fun of the oilers for being the preseason champs, well the Flames are the champs when it comes to games after already being eliminated.
When? When did the Flames win an abnormal amount of games after they had been eliminated?

I think this is the stuff people get tired of

Its the "draft 15th as usual" nonsense (One time in franchise history, Al McInnis)

Calgary is playing .500 down the stretch like the rest of the year pretty much not some massive winning streak

Last edited by dino7c; 05-13-2021 at 03:46 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:52 PM   #58
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Totally agree. I am probably one of the oldest posters and I get pretty depressed about the nastiness on the board by some posters. Like you, I have been through a load of crap. I totally get the criticism and it is deserved, but I am not the type to trash the players to the extent of character assassination.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldSam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 04:00 PM   #59
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Wake me when there's hope with this organization again
That is a long long sleep man
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:53 PM   #60
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I like to think I’m pretty level headed and most of my posts are in support of players who constantly take the brunt of the fanbase’s frustrations, because there are a lot of players I feel are part of the solution here, as well as trying to keep things in perspective for strongly opinionated posters…

I’m not saying you we’re including me in this comment but I will say my frustration today is that I would prefer to let the young players get reps in to see what part of their games they need to work on over the offseason to compete for a spot next year as well as being put into elevated roles they are not accustomed to, for the ones who have been in the lineup on a regular basis.

I’m sure alot of these young guys will get into the final four games and in general I will cool off but for the life of me I don’t really see the point of dressing guys like Nesterov and Nordstrom instead of the likes of Mackey/Valimaki or Ruzicka/Phillips.

I just don’t see what there is to gain from it.

Having said all this, your post as well as some of the others since my original have cooled me down a little bit as they have helped put things into perspective.

I’m a die hard, a season ticket holder and just want to see the only pro sports team I am truly passionate about take steps towards become something more than a perennial disappointment.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post: