Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #21
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is just how they're trained. I'm sure that was right out of the Arpaio text book.

Quote:
At the very least this is a monthly occurrence in the U.S. and its usually black males who are the victims.
Per capita yes. But over all, whites are usually the ones killed by cops. It's almost not worth mentioning it but there will no doubt be some anger regarding that issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #22
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
This is just how they're trained. I'm sure that was right out of the Arpaio text book.

Per capita yes. But over all, whites are usually the ones killed by cops. It's almost not worth mentioning it but there will no doubt be some anger regarding that issue.
How about clearly unjust, trigger happy killings? Lots of white people victims of those? I doubt it.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #23
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not directly related of course, but this is part of the reason why I personally dislike the move towards black painted / aggressively accessorized cop cars. A lot of cops these days seems to think they are commandos playing Call of Duty. Militarizing the police like this creates such a distrustful atmosphere on both sides, and attracts exactly the type of idiots who should never be given this type of power.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #24
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Not directly related of course, but this is part of the reason why I personally dislike the move towards black painted / aggressively accessorized cop cars. A lot of cops these days seems to think they are commandos playing Call of Duty. Militarizing the police like this creates such a distrustful atmosphere on both sides, and attracts exactly the type of idiots who should never be given this type of power.
The idea that the new standard North American police look was meant to be intimidating was mocked on CP a couple years ago, like roundly mocked, like "why would you guys think something so stupid" mocked. I know there were articles out there on how this was purposeful but have since had trouble finding anything.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #25
jayswin

Exp:

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...itics-say.html

Canadian police forces’ switch to darker cruisers ‘a disturbing trend,’ critics say

Quote:
Toronto’s police force isn’t the only Canadian municipal law enforcement agency to give its vehicles a makeover that critics say makes them seem more militarized, aggressive and also, possibly, less safe.

Police services across the country, including Vancouver and Calgary, are replacing their aging fleets with cars painted in darker hues
Quote:
But Johnathon Vaughn Strebly, ethics chair and president of the Graphic Designers of Canada, said policing agencies seem unaware that “there’s a real connection between the use of colours and perceptions,” and that these designs convey “oppressive, aggressive, intimidating and combative traits.”

Police forces seems unaware that these designs are more intimidating? Bull ****ing ****. They know. It seems the main takeaway is that citizens generally feel it makes them look more aggressive and intimidating while police like it. Imagine that?

Why did Canadian police cars become so menacing?

https://www.nationalobserver.com/201...me-so-menacing

Quote:
Are we following the footsteps of US police forces, which are armed with riot gear, armoured vehicles and other military-grade equipment?
Quote:
Toronto police cruisers are getting a drastic make-over, from white with bright red and blue decals, to stealth-like dark grey colours with equally somber decals that blend into the paint. Calgary recently switched its police vehicles to what’s been called “aggressive” and “paramilitary” black and white.
Quote:
Design forms our visual culture and creates reality

We need to be more mindful and aware. Design forms our visual culture, which forms perception and ultimately creates our reality.

There’s a real connection between the use of colours and perceptions. For instance, grey is the colour of detachment, indecision and compromise. The closer grey fades to black, the more dramatic and mysterious it becomes.

Many countries in Europe, as well as Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong, have used bright, colourful Battenburg Markings for decades to gain visibility

Last edited by jayswin; 12-09-2017 at 04:16 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #26
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...itics-say.html

Oh they know. It seems the main takeaway is that citizens generally feel it makes them look more aggressive while police like it. Imagine that?

https://www.nationalobserver.com/201...me-so-menacing
North American police culture is disgusting honestly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #27
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
North American police culture is disgusting honestly
In the US it's already disturbing. Canada's not there yet, we're just stupidly following every trend that comes from down south for some stupid reason. We should be doing everything in our power to distance ourselves from anything police forces are doing down there.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #28
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In the US it's already disturbing. Canada's not there yet, we're just stupidly following every trend that comes from down south for some stupid reason. We should be doing everything in our power to distance ourselves from anything police forces are doing down there.
If there's anyone we should be emulating, it's the English. Bright neons uniforms and cars, so they can be seen and looked upon as a beacon. Put the emphasis on protecting the good guys, not lurking in the shadows trying to get the bad guys.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #29
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If there's anyone we should be emulating, it's the English. Bright neons uniforms and cars, so they can be seen and looked upon as a beacon. Put the emphasis on protecting the good guys, not lurking in the shadows trying to get the bad guys.
The stupid looking helmet tends to kill of any Rambo like tendancies as well,
'good to get the ti* off my head' was my mates standard comment when he got home from a shift
Old 12-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #30
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Yep, cuff him while he was on the ground and nobody dies. Power trip.
I would like to hear a reasonable explanation for why this was not done, if there is one.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #31
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

he reached his hand back.... sucks that a man died but it was justified.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #32
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
I think 'justified' would have been the cop walking over and cuffing him while he was on the ground instead of making him crawl for some strange reason.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #33
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure why Shaver did that as the instructions were pretty clear. I don't believe the shooting was justified but he did give that officer reason to believe he may have been grabbing something. It's easy for us to sit here from our computer to say there was no reason but totally different to be at the scene where you don't know for sure if the person is armed and grabbing for something. Shaver was reportedly sticking a scoped gun out the window so from the officer's point of view he could have been extremely dangerous.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-09-2017 at 06:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 06:53 PM   #34
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe that he was probably trying to pull up his shorts as they were Falvo g down while he was pulling himself along the floor.

The US is a cesspool right now and I don’t see much light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #35
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see how they think they are "commandos" just because they are the universally recognized police black and whites. Who feels threatened by it? I don't.

Just more complaining to "soften" up the fight against crime, prison is already a country club, let's take away all the deterrents I guess.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #36
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yes he instinctively pulled his pants up because they made him try to crawl with his legs crossed and his arms up... They also shot him after he already pulled his pants up and was getting ready to crawl again.

You can say they were justified in shooting him for reaching for his pants but they never should have put an obviously intoxicated and terrified person in a situation where if they so much as slip, they die. If they really wanted to play it safe they wouldn't have made the guy crawl or even move towards them.

Last edited by nightfx; 12-09-2017 at 07:04 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nightfx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #37
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

umm it was a call for a man with a gun, they have him at gunpoint, he makes a move to the back of his shirt, in what city is it not justifiable to shoot?
Old 12-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #38
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Iprison is already a country club.
Not being combative but do you have any articles or sources on this narrative? I hear it from conservatives a lot but I've never heard anything credible on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #39
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfx View Post
Yes he instinctively pulled his pants up because they made him try to crawl with his legs crossed and his arms up... They also shot him after he already pulled his pants up and was getting ready to crawl again.

You can say they were justified in shooting him for reaching for his pants but they never should have put an obviously intoxicated and terrified person in a situation where a if they so much as slip, they die. If they really wanted to play it safe they wouldn't have made the guy crawl or even move towards them.
re watch the video, he fired the instant the hand moved toward the officers after reaching back, police don't shoot to injure, they neutralize. He was cleared of any charges so obviously they agree with my opinion that it was a justifiable shooting.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #40
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not being combative but do you have any articles or sources on this narrative? I hear it from conservatives a lot but I've never heard anything credible on it.
I'm probably exaggerating but it seems like prison isn't even a deterrent with a lot of habitual offenders