Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #1241
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gah, I want to go but I have so much work to do.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #1242
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be there. Signed up for Combat Commander on Saturday. If Craig Besinque is there with Conquest & Consequence, his Pacific Theatre follow-up to Triumph & Tragedy, I'll try to get in on a playtest. And I'll probably bring my just-off-the-Kickstarter-boat copy of 871: Viking Invasion to take for a spin.

Events filled up really fast this year. Organizers just can't keep up with the incredible growth of the con. I remember back when it was held at the Marlborough Community Centre and organizers were blown away when they set a record with 200 attendees. Now it's what, 2000?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #1243
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Through the Ages got an iOS and Android release. Pricey but a great implementation of the physical game
Old 09-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #1244
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavillian View Post
Through the Ages got an iOS and Android release. Pricey but a great implementation of the physical game
I've really enjoyed it as well, I like the challenges.
This post is terrible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #1245
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went yesterday. The auction was rough, I had about four or five games where I was down to the wire but just couldn't justify going any higher. Ended up with nothing. Most stuff wasn't that good a deal; for example there was one copy of Captain Sonar in there which sold for $57... which is about what it costs on Amazon for a new copy.

The board game table being sold by Wheatland Woodwork, a local guy, is unbelievably beautiful. Walnut with a charcoal pad and inset cupholders with matched walnut tops and slats.

####ing drool. Someone who needs both a game table and a ridiculously nice dining or kitchen table absolutely needs to buy that thing. Yeah, $4000 is a lot for a table, but it's fully handmade. Compare that to what you get from an outfit like boardgametables.com - same sort of thing would be about $4500 USD, plus shipping, plus you don't have someone local to deal with if you need it refinished or whatever, and who knows how it was built.

I ordered a table in the same wood, can't wait to get it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #1246
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

That table is amazing.

I played a bunch of games over the weekend. The best probably being Russian Railroads. Nothing outstanding, though, that really blew me away. Last year I had to have Scythe!
malcolmk14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #1247
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

New SAIT venue for FallCon is okay. Lots of space, lots of tables. Big enough room that you could still play while the auction was going on. Food choices in the immediate vicinity weren't great (the cafe upstairs was sold out of everything by 12:30 on Saturday - I guess nobody warned them there would 700 people downstairs all weekend who needed to eat). And $7 parking a day x3 adds up. But I guess they needed to expand. Incredible how fast this hobby is growing.

Played Hands in the Sea, 878 Vikings - Invasion of England, Combat Commander, and Star Trek Ascendancy. Lots of people taking pictures of us playing the latter when the Stormtroopers gathered around Saturday night for the obligatory Star Wars vs Star Trek ribbing. Brought my daughter to FallCon today for the first time. Nice to see this develop into a family con.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Went yesterday. The auction was rough, I had about four or five games where I was down to the wire but just couldn't justify going any higher. Ended up with nothing. Most stuff wasn't that good a deal; for example there was one copy of Captain Sonar in there which sold for $57... which is about what it costs on Amazon for a new copy.
The FallCon auction is weird that way. A popular, in-print game will often go for 80+ per cent of what you'd pay for new. I think a lot of people just show up at the auction with a pocket full of cash, and will cheerfully pay only marginally less than retail to avoid a trip to the Sentry Box or making an order online. Good for sellers, though. I always take home a tidy pile of cash from my auction items.

For buyers, you often get better deals at the flea market in Sunday, especially later in the morning when the vendors want to get rid of stuff so the don't have to carry it back to their car.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-24-2017 at 08:10 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #1248
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dropmix looks really neat. I don't know if there's much to the actual game, but the tech is really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W30ynqbL8JI
Old 09-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #1249
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up a copy of Kingdomino for my classroom. I've got a few games now for the kids to play. We get into Dixit, King of New York, Love Letter, Patchwork, and One Night Ultimate Werewolf sometimes.
malcolmk14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #1250
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up warring colonies, because of course I did, I love Dead of Winter.

It looks like a really good variant, and contrary to what I would have thought, you actually don't need a ton of players to make it work. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd want any part of a game involving 11 people, that seems like it would just be pure chaos. Seems like it'd play best with 7, but it'd be totally workable with 4-5.

The downside is, I think it's basically unteachable to new players, because of Dead of Winter's litany of action options and the fact that in Warring Colonies, all player actions are taken simultaneously (there's a timer mechanic to speed up playthroughs). While this change is good in that you might actually be able to get through a game of warring colonies faster than the base game, depending on how many players there are, you definitely already have to know how to play the game. In other words, I'd say that everyone playing needs to have played Dead of Winter at least twice. Since Dead of Winter seems to have waned in popularity since it came out, unless you have a gaming group and play it semi-regularly, finding enough people to play it could be a struggle.

Now to wait for my table to be finished...
Old 10-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #1251
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Picked up warring colonies, because of course I did, I love Dead of Winter.

It looks like a really good variant, and contrary to what I would have thought, you actually don't need a ton of players to make it work. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd want any part of a game involving 11 people, that seems like it would just be pure chaos. Seems like it'd play best with 7, but it'd be totally workable with 4-5.

The downside is, I think it's basically unteachable to new players, because of Dead of Winter's litany of action options and the fact that in Warring Colonies, all player actions are taken simultaneously (there's a timer mechanic to speed up playthroughs). While this change is good in that you might actually be able to get through a game of warring colonies faster than the base game, depending on how many players there are, you definitely already have to know how to play the game. In other words, I'd say that everyone playing needs to have played Dead of Winter at least twice. Since Dead of Winter seems to have waned in popularity since it came out, unless you have a gaming group and play it semi-regularly, finding enough people to play it could be a struggle.

Now to wait for my table to be finished...

Ya I got a copy of it to just waiting to be played. Been slowly teaching more and more people to play DoW so we can get a good warring colonies game going. It's hard to find people that will board game in a small town. Gotta get more people to embrace their inner geek.

Did you order a table or are you making one yourself? I just got word that my geeknson table should be shipping yesturday and after dealing with the geek chic disaster I am very excited! My 4 year old is probably the most excited because I said we can go buy some new puzzles once it arrives!
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:05 PM   #1252
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ordered a table from the same guy who made the one pictured up higher on this page. It's currently being built.

Sucker's gonna be heavy. I'm pumped.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #1253
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

finally got my group to try Avalon last night, was fantastic. we were playing secret hitler like crazy so it was nice to mix it up.

i actually think avalon is better than secret hitler but, we seriously played hitler to death so it has some longevity.

i ordered werewolves of millers hollow off amazon, seems like it has the same idea of social deduction but a little different.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #1254
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pandemic Legacy Season 2 looks to be released Oct 26. Really liked the first season, so I'll definitely check it out
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #1255
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
I ordered a table from the same guy who made the one pictured up higher on this page. It's currently being built.

Sucker's gonna be heavy. I'm pumped.
Can we drink red wine and eat cheetos at your table?
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:06 AM   #1256
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I seriously doubt I'll be able to stop people from drinking red wine. Fortunately, it will have cupholders.

Cheetos are terrible and no one should eat them anywhere.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #1257
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a bump and progress update. Also, I asked, and the table that was posted above is still for sale, which would be the only way to get one without waiting for a while as there is a long queue (something like ten tables) at the moment.

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 11-05-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #1258
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #1259
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

7 Wonders is out for iOS now.

I still have no idea why players win or lose. I must have to pay closer attention to what I am passing and discarding.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/691...gies-7-wonders

I believe that 7 Wonders is a balanced game. I also believe it to be the best strategy game available today for several reasons. First and foremost, there is no guaranteed way to win every game. The game changes in subtle but significant ways based on the wonders in play and the numbers of players. Best of all, having a single sound strategy isn't enough to win the game - one also must constantly adjust to the strategy and play of one's opponents. It's easy to forget that you're playing against other players in 7 Wonders - even the ones that are all the way across the table from you. Many inferior strategy games require a player to select a strategy early and strictly adhere to it. These games generally punish a player for switching horses mid-stream. In 7 Wonders the horse sometimes drowns mid-stream. Being able to jump to another steed isn't a fault. It's often a necessity.

Last edited by troutman; 12-07-2017 at 10:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2017, 12:05 AM   #1260
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
7 Wonders is out for iOS now.

I still have no idea why players win or lose. I must have to pay closer attention to what I am passing and discarding.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/691...gies-7-wonders
7 Wonders is a tough game. To play it well you have to look at what everyone is doing, but that turns a casual 45-minute game into probably a two hour slog.

I'm getting pretty frustrated reading the guide, even though it's insightful. If you have +18 and your opponents each have -3 (i.e. military in a 3-player game), that's equivalent to +21 for you, not +24.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote