Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-12-2017, 03:34 AM   #481
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasuave View Post
Just made sous vide "can't ###### it up fried chicken". Thank you, CP, thank you.
What did you do with the oil? We never fry anything in oil, in part because its seems like you use so much for one meal, and then disposing it is a pain. I understand you could maybe put it in a container and reuse it for a period of time?

I really want to try that chicken recipe.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:35 AM   #482
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
Definitely try 48 hours with the eye of round. I did an eye of round earlier this year and while the colour came out perfect, it just was not a good roast. It was a little tough and a little flavourless. If you try it 48 hours, that might get it over the hump. I'd normally use eye of round only for beef jerky, and my roast experience reinforced that view.

I think I already posted this photo in this thread, but here here it is again if you'd like to see how "visually" it was very good. To get the bark like that I pre- and post-seared it, and I would recommend that, the bark was tasty:

NSFW!
With Roumd roast try to find one with some fat on it. Top or bottom round usually works better than eye. Alternatively adding Animal Fat or stock in helps a lot with the flavour. I ususally do 24 hrs with them.

I ask take the juices at the end, deglaze the pan I sear the meat in and boil it down for gravy.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #483
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What did you do with the oil? We never fry anything in oil, in part because its seems like you use so much for one meal, and then disposing it is a pain. I understand you could maybe put it in a container and reuse it for a period of time?

Funny enough I happen to be watching an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown and this came up. He said that you can re-use oil a few times. He runs it through a couple coffee filters back into the same container and freezes it. Said it will get cloudy when it cools, but that will go away when it heats up. When the colour starts to change you should get rid of it.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #484
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

For people asking about pre-seasoning. The guys at "Sous Vide Everything" also did a test to determine what was best:

If you don't want to watch it they determined that seasoning BEFORE Sous Vide was the way to go.

Last edited by Swayze11; 12-12-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #485
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
For people asking about pre-seasoning. The guys at "Sous Vide Everything" also did a test to determine what was best:

If you don't want to watch it they determined that seasoning BEFORE Sous Vide was the way to go.
Well, that one is about salt only though. Which I agree. Sous vide with salt inside = great flavours all the way through as it brines the meat. However, it's the spices that I'm not sure on, though black and spicy pepper are IMO about the same if left during the cook or after. Sugar is another that's worth experimenting on with the salt, though personally, I like leaving the sugar to afterwards because of the caramelizing effects I can do when finishing the meat.

This is actually a similar experiment I did and I came to the same result. Anything with spirits in it long term was blegh. Save the spirits for after the sous vide as a reduction or sauce.

However, their results with beer and moonshine are interesting, so I might experiment with that one day.

I've had really weird results with rosemary, basil, oregano, bayleaf etc. if left long term in the sous vide. I don't like it. I was just curious if someone else knew a secret in how to apply spices during the sous vide cook so that it's not scarily overpowering after the cook is finished.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #486
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I struggle with deep frying. On the one hand it seems such a waste of oil to tip it away. On the other, I worry about trans fats and acrylamide being more prevalent in recycled fats. Plus, I don't like the way deep frying makes the house smell.

I compromised by frying in a narrow pot, with minimal oil, and tipping it into the compost binwhen done.

This was the first time I deep fried anything in about 4 years. The struggle is real.
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #487
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I've been looking into the air frying methods. Supposedly you only need a tsp of oil and it'll crisp up pretty well.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:49 PM   #488
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I've been looking into the air frying methods. Supposedly you only need a tsp of oil and it'll crisp up pretty well.
Ya we have one, but it’s not like you can get just crispy skin from it as it cooks throughout. Oil method after sous vide is best imo.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #489
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm doing a sous vide experiment today.

Cooking a 4 lb chuck roast in the sous vide. 24 hours at 55C.

Also doing a 4 lb Prime rib in the oven. 6 hours at 150F,
(Until medium rare throughout), then 10 minutes at 500F to dear.

Want to see which is better. Really hoping for chuck, as it was 1/4 the price.

Regardless, lots of tasty leftovers incoming!
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #490
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Sirloin/Prime Rib might be a good battle, but I have to think chuck is punching above his weight here.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:45 AM   #491
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's actually kind of why I like it actually. Underdog story. This faceoff is relevant to my interests.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #492
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Sirloin/Prime Rib might be a good battle, but I have to think chuck is punching above his weight here.
Yeah, maybe.

Chuck is more flavorful than Prime rib though. I'm hoping that the 24h cook make the chuck as tender as the Prime rib will be.

It'll save me 75% on future roasts if it works out.

And what else is family for if not non-certified experimentation?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #493
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Results after in.

The Prime rib was delicious as expected.

But the chuck was incredibly tender, it basically melted in your mouth. All of us thought the chuck was more tender, but a few thought it was TOO tender. It was close to raw tuna texture. I might do it for 18-20 hours next time.

Flavour was more pronounced with the chuck (as expected), but we were evenly split about which we preferred.

All in all, I'm going to save $70 and go chuck from now on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #494
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Results after in.

The Prime rib was delicious as expected.

But the chuck was incredibly tender, it basically melted in your mouth. All of us thought the chuck was more tender, but a few thought it was TOO tender. It was close to raw tuna texture. I might do it for 18-20 hours next time.

Flavour was more pronounced with the chuck (as expected), but we were evenly split about which we preferred.

All in all, I'm going to save $70 and go chuck from now on.
Excellent result! A buddy of mine did a 48 hour roast once, and I totally get what you mean by too tender. At some point you pass a threshold, fly too close to the sun, and end up with something that loses its beefiness. I notice the same with chicken breast. You can do a 140 degree chicken, but it's so far removed from what we know chicken to feel like it's almost off-putting.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:32 PM   #495
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Sous Vide everything just released a new video for 5 hacks (more so tips) on what to do when you sous vide based off all their experiments they have done.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #496
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

We picked up 2 blade (chuck roasts) for a superbowl party, about 7 lbs total.

I was about to sous vide at 135 starting tomorrow at noon for 2 days.

Given Canehdianman's post I'm thinking about dropping the temp and time. I like my meat rare, but the crowd may not.

Maybe I move to 133 and sous vide Saturday at noon for 24 hours? Or less? I worry that the amount of meat won't cook through the centre to 133 within even 24 hours.

And I understand the "too tender" comment, I've done some steaks in 3 1/2 to 4 hours and it was almost too soft.

The roasts were $25 combined. A rib roast would have been more than 4 times that.

Last edited by Kjesse; 02-01-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:28 AM   #497
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Sous Vide everything just released a new video for 5 hacks (more so tips) on what to do when you sous vide based off all their experiments they have done.

Did dude mean kosher salt not rock salt?

Also on his pre sear cuss. Have not tried but I have read lots of articles that rave about pre sear. Anyone here try it?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #498
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:

Given Canehdianman's post I'm thinking about dropping the temp and time. I like my meat rare, but the crowd may not.

Maybe I move to 133 and sous vide Saturday at noon for 24 hours? Or less? I worry that the amount of meat won't cook through the centre to 133 within even 24 hours.

And I understand the "too tender" comment, I've done some steaks in 3 1/2 to 4 hours and it was almost too soft.

The roasts were $25 combined. A rib roast would have been more than 4 times that.
I'd say you'll be fine. I've done massive roasts for 24 hours at 133 and it's always great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #499
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I'm echoing my earlier post here, but I'd go for 18-20 hours, more than that and the texture will be off.

Water is a crazy good conductor of heat, I believe it conducts heat about 25x better than air, so the middle of your roast will be 133 in a few hours.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #500
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did a brisket for 24 hours and it was perfect. A roast should be fine in that time.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post: