Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #41
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm way behind as well, I've only played two 2017 games.

-Uncharted Lost Legacy: A beautiful looking game with a solid story, good voice acting, fun set pieces and some cool new additions to the series keeping things fresh. Far too short a game to be considered for GOTY however.

-Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy: A fun and challenging game. A good remaster of a good game is not nearly enough for GOTY however.

From everything I have heard, Zelda should win AINEC. That and Mario are tempting me to buy a Switch.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #42
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
-Uncharted Lost Legacy: A beautiful looking game with a solid story, good voice acting, fun set pieces and some cool new additions to the series keeping things fresh. Far too short a game to be considered for GOTY however.
If a 3 hour game gives you a better overall experience than a 10 hour game, then what's the problem with it being game of the year?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #43
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
If a 3 hour game gives you a better overall experience than a 10 hour game, then what's the problem with it being game of the year?
Yeah, not sure why the length would matter when discussing game of year. Though I can understand complaining about paying full price for a really short game. The Lost Legacy is about 8 hrs long, so not super short to begin with.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #44
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Persona 5
2. Tales of Berseria
3. Little Nightmares
4. Horizon Zero Dawn (I feel like this game could have been so much better though)

I suppose Xenoblade could make its way on here but I haven't played it yet.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #45
steveo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know PUBG isn't completed and has its crap moments but there wasn't any other game that I've played this year more than that game.

destiny 2...man i feel so ripped off buying that game haha damnit.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #46
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) Persona 5

I know it doesn't stand a chance in a popularity contest (having an audience primarily of anime JRPG fans), but the world is incredibly fun to explore, the game is way more polished than Persona 4, and the JRPG side of it is actually fairly fun to play.

Combine all the stuff that made the Persona games fun (interesting characters, fun world to explore) with one of my favourite soundtracks of all time and I can't think of a game that I'd put above it.

2) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Not sure there's anything to add that hasn't been said before. It's a fun, wide open world Zelda game.

3) What Remains of Edith Finch

It's an engrossing walking simulator for the most part, but I don't mind those. I have a soft spot for just being allowed to walk around in a beautiful world so that's enough for me.

4) Super Mario Odyssey

What catches my attention about this game is just the way the developers go out of their way to reward you for experimenting. Almost every creative path seems to have additional items to grab. It's nice having a game recognize when you try creative approaches.

5) Cuphead

I suck at these "tough but fair" games so I can't say much more than I died a lot while playing. That said, I love Cuphead's animation. It's incredibly polished on that front and deserves recognition for that alone.

Honourable mentions:
- NieR: Automata (another solid RPG)
- Doki Doki Literature Club (metafictional psychological horror. Hard to recommend, but it starts you in a dating sim, then drives that off a cliff. If you enjoy Undertale or Danganronpa, it's probably worth the cost of...free)
- XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (a DLC but expands on the game immensely)
- Wolfenstein II (I'm terrible at shooters, but it's an entertaining run and gun)
Old 12-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #47
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updated to here, still some time to get your nominations in!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone except me play Prey? I'm convinced it's the greatest game nobody played.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #49
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Did anyone except me play Prey? I'm convinced it's the greatest game nobody played.
I did, but honestly one of only two games I dropped this year. Loved the first few hours, but right around the time I got to the garden(?) I stopped feeling the urge to play.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #50
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1. Mario Odyssey
2. Mario Rabbids

The only other 2017 game I got around to was South park, which was such a bland retread I refuse to list it.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #51
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1. Mario Odyssey
2. Mario Rabbids

The only other 2017 game I got around to was South park, which was such a bland retread I refuse to list it.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote