Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #161
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

In order to review $40,000 in council salaries, let’s waste several hours of council time - at $3000 - $5000 per hour in council and administration salaries.

It’s absurd.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:02 AM   #162
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
In order to review $40,000 in council salaries, let’s waste several hours of council time - at $3000 - $5000 per hour in council and administration salaries.

It’s absurd.
I wonder how close it comes to 300k?
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #163
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The article is strongly biased with no mention of any of the other details about why Farkas was kicked out that day. It reads like something Rick Bell would write. Farkas now has it linked to his Facebook page where people believe that Farkas is this champion of the City of Calgary and his Facebook followers are frothing at the lips over how great he is.

Of course this is still over that paltry sum of a 2.37% salary adjustment that YYCCC wasn’t going to accept anyway (also conveniently left out of the article) and still in the grand scheme of things this amounts to about $40,000 a year for the entire council.

It isn’t about disagreeing with the article because I think Farkas is a bit of a dolt, either. If Nenshi did the same thing I would be questioning his rationale too. Why Farkas is happy to keep this alive is weird. And again the amount of money this is about is so stupidly insignificant, I wonder if his fan club is really comprehending it at all.
Why is it strongly biased? I don't see anywhere in the article were Farkas is being acquitted of anything. What is it with Nenshi supporters that feel he's beyond reproach?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #164
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post

It’s absurd.
The fact that it costs $3000 - $5000 an hour in salary to review anything is probably a really good reason to review this.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #165
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The fact that it costs $3000 - $5000 an hour in salary to review anything is probably a really good reason to review this.
No, it’s just a factor of having a significant amount of high salaried employees in the room together. No different than other large organizations having meetings.

The Council members definitely DON’T have the largest salaries in the room, not even the Mayor. It all adds up fairly quickly.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #166
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why is it strongly biased? I don't see anywhere in the article were Farkas is being acquitted of anything. What is it with Nenshi supporters that feel he's beyond reproach?

I stated that Nenshi isn't beyond reproach. If he did something similarly as backhanded as posting a falsified voting card on Facebook, he should be held to the fire as well. The article mentioned nothing of this, unless you believe that didn't happen.

Quote:
As Calgarians know, Farkas was ejected from his seat during the Dec. 17 council meeting for pointing out on his Facebook page that council would receive a 2.3 per cent wage increase in 2019 according to information he received from the city’s human resources department.

The only the parts that show Farkas in a particularly positive light (with a little bit of finger wagging so it doesn't look any more biases towards Farkas than the article already was). What was even the purpose of the article, given this incident occurred weeks ago and the only person who is still simmering about it is Farkas looking for his apology.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #167
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Farkas refuses to apologize for blatantly lying to the public. Integrity complaint to proceed: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...rkas-1.4979879

The question with Farkas, as always, is what the people he represents stand to gain from these charades. And I don't mean the residents of his riding.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #168
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeromy Farkas and Rick Bell are acting like such ignorant idiots. Don't either of them having anything better to talk/write about at this point? How can any of Farkas's constituents actually be happy with his performance if all he does is rehash this same old thing? They live inside some kind of echo chamber where they must feel they're some kind of city heroes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #169
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Since the recent poll that was reported in the Herald showed both Chu and Farkas with very high approval ratings in their wards, if those numbers are at all meaningful this thread will continue to provide entertainment for years to come.
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #170
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Since the recent poll that was reported in the Herald showed both Chu and Farkas with very high approval ratings in their wards, if those numbers are at all meaningful this thread will continue to provide entertainment for years to come.

Yeah. They need to ask some more specific questions in those polls. I am not really aware of anything that they have done that would warrant approval - I guess the self-aggrandization is rubbing off on people.

The very thought of a Mayor Farkas makes me shudder.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #171
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

City council (and politicians in general) have such childish behavior. It's really annoying. We teach our kids to have compassion, be honest, treat others with respect....yet most politicians have none of those attributes.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #172
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Farkas on the news last night saying that he wished they would just let him be. He looked like he was going to cry.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #173
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's pretty funny that he wants to move on when he's the target given his entire "career" thus far has been rehashing the same crap over and over.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #174
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Maybe people think that if their representative is gaining notoriety (good or bad) and is often center stage in council debates that he/she is serving their constituents well? Farrell is probably the most disliked representative I can ever remember and she's maintained an everlasting grip on ward 7.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #175
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
City council (and politicians in general) have such childish behavior. It's really annoying. We teach our kids to have compassion, be honest, treat others with respect....yet most politicians have none of those attributes.
Maybe the people who have compassion, honesty and treat other's with respect would rather not apply to jobs where they are vilified on social media and have their salaries used as political poker chips in the public eye
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #176
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Someone should give Farkas a little lesson in self-awareness.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #177
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Someone should give Farkas a little lesson in self-awareness.
Guy campaigns on the idea that he's not there to make any friends and what happens?

Guess Jeromy has never heard the phrase "Be careful what you wish for".

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 01-16-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #178
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Guy campaigns on the idea that he's not there to make any friends and what happens?

Guess Jeromy has never heard the phrase "Be careful what you wish for".
Going into business for yourself is never a good idea in politics.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #179
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Farkas is doing exactly what he wants to do, and it's working for his narrative.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #180
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colour me surprised. Nice to see that Farkas is doing something useful and looking at the fluoride issue again in Calgary and deferring to professionals about it. Another weird one is allowing drinking in city parks. Is City Council trying to get on our good sides?

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat