Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #81
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I would say that if keeping Brodie was not an option, that's still on management for fracturing the relationship as far back as last offseason.
By trying to the very thing that people are complaining about (upgrading the top 6)?

If including Brodie in a trade fractured the relationship, that's on Brodie.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #82
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I like what he did given where they are.

Someone this summer suggested the team wasn't going to head into a rebuild with a playoff level hockey team; that just isn't done, and honestly it's hard to argue that point.

But I still don't like this team as it's currently constructed. The top line feels broken and I'm not sure they can win with it as it's constructed. The Monahan/Gaudreau pair just don't seem to be the guys to lead a team offensively in games that matter.

Would love to be wrong on that, and we've certainly seen players and teams come back completely different from season to season.

So with a flawed core, and a playoff team, I think they did a pretty good job of fortifying their goaltending, and replacing Brodie's exit. So overall I'd give it a B+

Hopefully the log jam breaks and he can get value in a trade to shake up the the top six and make this team more interesting before the pucks drop again.

See, I think they did a good job replacing Hamonic, and failed to replace Brodie. Which is not good.

On the issue of top 6, I think there may be room for improvement with coaching and slotting. All coaches have stuck with Johnny and Monahan and it is the last year and a half that it stopped working. Which is when Peters moved to the system he perceived you need to play to be successful in the playoffs

Incidentally, Brodie has more of a skill set suited to the mobile, quick transition style of play than Tanev

If they don’t want to have a quick transition and score on the rush, and Monahan and Lindholm are going to defer to Johnny to handle the puck and not create room for him, it’s not a good line for the style of play. That’s where you need to spread out guys like Lucic and Bennett.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:42 AM   #83
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
By trying to the very thing that people are complaining about (upgrading the top 6)?

If including Brodie in a trade fractured the relationship, that's on Brodie.
Management mishandled the Brodie situation any way I can look at it. A blueline of Giordano-Andersson / Hanifin-Hamonic would not have been pretty last year either, and Kadri's fit as a lefthanded shot centre is questionable.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #84
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still feel like they need another d-man. You replaced Brodie with Tanev which is good. But who will replaced Hamonic? Do we count on Valimaki to be a full time NHLer despite not having played hockey for a year? Risky.

Markstrom signing was great.

Do Monahan-Gaudreau get another kick at the can? I love both players but I don't they they work together anymore, which leads me to my next problem and that is we needed a new coach with fresh ideas, but Ward will just trot them out again shift after shift as he's always done.

I think playoffs next season fairly comfortably, but I'm still pessimistic of our chances. There's always the 95 Panthers riding Vanbiesbrouck I guess.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #85
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
See, I think they did a good job replacing Hamonic, and failed to replace Brodie. Which is not good.

On the issue of top 6, I think there may be room for improvement with coaching and slotting. All coaches have stuck with Johnny and Monahan and it is the last year and a half that it stopped working. Which is when Peters moved to the system he perceived you need to play to be successful in the playoffs

If they don’t want to have a quick transition and score on the rush, and Monahan and Lindholm are going to defer to Johnny to handle the puck and not create room for him, it’s not a good line for the style of play. That’s where you need to spread out guys like Lucic and Bennett.
I think they replaced Brodie internally though.

Andersson replaces Brodie
Tanev replaces Hamonic
Valimaki replaces Andersson’s role.

Where they are lacking right now imo is depth and the losses of Gustafsson, Forbort, and Stone leaving only Kylington and Mackey as depth Dmen right now
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #86
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I like what he did given where they are.

Someone this summer suggested the team wasn't going to head into a rebuild with a playoff level hockey team; that just isn't done, and honestly it's hard to argue that point.

But I still don't like this team as it's currently constructed. The top line feels broken and I'm not sure they can win with it as it's constructed. The Monahan/Gaudreau pair just don't seem to be the guys to lead a team offensively in games that matter.

Would love to be wrong on that, and we've certainly seen players and teams come back completely different from season to season.

So with a flawed core, and a playoff team, I think they did a pretty good job of fortifying their goaltending, and replacing Brodie's exit. So overall I'd give it a B+

Hopefully the log jam breaks and he can get value in a trade to shake up the the top six and make this team more interesting before the pucks drop again.

The only umbrage I take with your comment is that the 2019-2020 team was not a playoff team..... it was a bubble team.

They were closer to finishing out of the playoffs rather than being in the top-4.

The 2018-19 team.... now that was a playoff team
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #87
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think theT replaced Brodie internally though.

Andersson replaces Brodie
Brodie and Andersson were our two best defensemen down the stretch. One can't replace the other because both were vital.

Quote:
Tanev replaces Hamonic
At a higher caphit, when Hamonic was already underperforming for his cap hit.

Quote:
Valimaki replaces Andersson’s role.
Do you expect Valimaki to be one our two best defensemen this year? That's a tall ask for a 20 year old who's barely played the last two years.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 10-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #88
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brodie and Andersson were our two best defensemen down the stretch. One can't replace the other because both were vital.

Do you expect Valimaki to be one our two best defensemen this year? That's a tall ask for a 20 year old who's barely played the last two years.
Valimaki was pretty much on par with Andersson when he last played for the Flames.

Pretty certain that Valimaki would have a higher trade value than Andersson or any Flame D-man.

List of Flames that are untradeable would start with Valimaki.

He just turned 22 on Oct 6.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #89
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Valimaki is 22 not sure why you are saying he is 2 years younger? He was also one of our best Dmen against the Avs in 2019 and he is getting some valuable reps in Finland so not a huge stretch to think he is going to have a big impact. Pinder talks on the morning show like the Org already views him as a top 4 Dman.

Tanev represents an upgrade on Hamonic clearly which is why they went after him and paid him more than they would have offered Hamonic.

Andersson steps into the top pair RHD role. Tanev slides into the second pairing spot and Valimaki is the #5 pushing for a top 4 role.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #90
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Valimaki is 22 not sure why you are saying he is 2 years younger?
Valimaki was born in October 1998. Andersson was born in October 1996. But Valimaki definitely isn't 20.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #91
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Valimaki was born in October 1998. Andersson was born in October 1996. But Valimaki definitely isn't 20.
I am not saying he isn’t 2 years younger than Andersson. He is not a 20 year old as the poster mentioned.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:13 PM   #92
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is an error on my part. I forgot he was one of the older players in his draft class, and that he just had his birthday. Guess I should have checked his age.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #93
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think playoffs is any guarantee for this club. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but I still see them more or less on the bubble.

There is still a number of things that need to go right to make it to the post season including staying healthy.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #94
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't think playoffs is any guarantee for this club. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but I still see them more or less on the bubble.

There is still a number of things that need to go right to make it to the post season including staying healthy.
Agreed, as the roster stands at this time

Flames look like a bubble team, solid goaltending will keep them in the race for a wild card.
flambers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #95
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the thinking is that last years offensive brain fart from the top line is the new normal for them, yeah, bubble team. But if last season was the outlier then they're definitely pushing for a top western spot. I suppose that depends on an individuals 0erspective. But having a #1 goalie with better defensemen in front of him hasn't sold anybody, I dont know what will.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #96
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
If the thinking is that last years offensive brain fart from the top line is the new normal for them, yeah, bubble team. But if last season was the outlier then they're definitely pushing for a top western spot. I suppose that depends on an individuals 0erspective. But having a #1 goalie with better defensemen in front of him hasn't sold anybody, I dont know what will.
Flames defense looks similar not sure its improved

Goaltending has definitely improved

Forward ranks is a question mark, I'm not convinced they have the talent up front to push for the top spot in their division.

Vegas looks like the superior team.
flambers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #97
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Flames defense looks similar not sure its improved

Goaltending has definitely improved

Forward ranks is a question mark, I'm not convinced they have the talent up front to push for the top spot in their division.

Vegas looks like the superior team.
I meant for the goalie, he has better defensemen in front of him in cgy as opposed to what he had in Vancouver.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #98
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames are now clearly the 2nd best team.

EDM and VAN will be chasing the Flames, not vice versa
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #99
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I meant for the goalie, he has better defensemen in front of him in cgy as opposed to what he had in Vancouver.

Like Tanev?

Also, the Flames were not a good defensive team for their goalies. Lots of feeds from behind the net to uncovered men around the hash marks was the obvious scouting report
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #100
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The Flames are now clearly the 2nd best team.

EDM and VAN will be chasing the Flames, not vice versa
Depends on Markstrom. If he can maintain his excellent play which has been a recent revalation, then yes. Other than that I see three bubble teams that would probably finish 4th/5th in the other three divisions. The pacific is truly a terrible mess. It's Vegas, three bubble teams and three bottom teams. People are going to lose their minds when Vegas and Seattle finish 1/2 in 2021/22.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote