Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2020, 10:31 AM   #141
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Pretty much every post is saying dammit lol.

I think the only posts that are somewhat defensive are Tanev vs Schmidt comparisons.

I think I would have rather had Schmidt than Tanev, oh well.
And the comparison is valid and inevitable, based on the transactions.

Straight-up, for sure - Schmidt over Tanev

Schmidt @ $5.95M vs Tanev @ $4.5M, it's pretty comparable.

And there is also the 3rd it cost to get Schmidt. Reasonable debate, not sure why ActiveStick is throwing out the LOLs
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #142
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And the comparison is valid and inevitable, based on the transactions.

Straight-up, for sure - Schmidt over Tanev

Schmidt @ $5.95M vs Tanev @ $4.5M, it's pretty comparable.

And there is also the 3rd it cost to get Schmidt. Reasonable debate, not sure why ActiveStick is throwing out the LOLs
the 1.5 M saved by the Flames on the Tanev contract over Schmidt ??? That doesn't even cover the Flames Backup goalie getting paid 2.75

As for the 3rd round pick: Try to put it in prospective who would the Flames have to trade even up for Schmidt?

The only Player that would be of greater value would be Tkachuk and he is getting a QO of 9 M in 2 years.

Monahan?

Gaudreau?

Lindholm?

The Flames have no defenseman that would be tradeable even up for Schmidt. Maybe Valimaki but then that would mean that the Flames signed Tanev as a #5 guy.

This is pretty close to the best use of Cap space in the history of cap space that the Canucks were able to take advantage of.

The GMs that sat on their cap space and didn't offer a second or 2 thirds should be fired.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #143
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
the 1.5 M saved by the Flames on the Tanev contract over Schmidt ??? That doesn't even cover the Flames Backup goalie getting paid 2.75

As for the 3rd round pick: Try to put it in prospective who would the Flames have to trade even up for Schmidt?

The only Player that would be of greater value would be Tkachuk and he is getting a QO of 9 M in 2 years.

Monahan?

Gaudreau?

Lindholm?

The Flames have no defenseman that would be tradeable even up for Schmidt. Maybe Valimaki but then that would mean that the Flames signed Tanev as a #5 guy.

This is pretty close to the best use of Cap space in the history of cap space that the Canucks were able to take advantage of.

The GMs that sat on their cap space and didn't offer a second or 2 thirds should be fired.
Well this pretty much just guaranteed that the Flames did the right thing with Tanev and the Canucks didn't with Schmidt.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #144
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futzee View Post
I think it's a bad deal. Just because you're taking on a NMC and costing yourself some asset in the Seattle draft. I'd only take on big contracts with NMC right now if I thought it gave me a good chance to go deep next year. I don't think Vancouver is there. Maybe I'm wrong.
The Canucks will now have to expose a UFA like Edler on the backend because of this deal. Before this deal they would have been able to protect a UFA like Edler.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:52 PM   #145
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, when did Schmidt become Bobby Orr?

Or better yet, when did Schmidt become Alex Pietrangelo?

CP is freaking out over a defenseman that Vegas dumped for practically nothing to fill for another defenseman who they will pay boatloads of money and term for.

I get that Schmidt is decent, I don't know that his a huge upgrade over Tanev.

All I know is that Vegas thinks Pietrangelo is a HUGE upgrade over Schmidt.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:02 PM   #146
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

Monahan?

Gaudreau?

Lindholm?

You are totally ignoring the fact the guy had a NTC and a bunch of teams literally couldn't trade for him. Those GMs should be fired because they were on his no trade list?
Old 10-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #147
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schmidt has more value than Gaudreau, Monahan or Lindholm now?

lol

that is a new level of terrible takes for you, which is really saying something
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:26 PM   #148
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Schmidt has more value than Gaudreau, Monahan or Lindholm now?

lol

that is a new level of terrible takes for you, which is really saying something
Does that mean Gaudreau, Monahan & Lindhom have less value than a 3rd round pick?
Oh boy are we in trouble.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #149
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone explain this to me.

Schmidt had similar points, shoots left, is smaller, the same age, and makes more money than Tanev. Also he has a far worse pedigree- this guy was literally waiver fodder pre expansion draft, then put up some good seasons (after a very odd drug test incident...)

Schmidt has red flags coming out of his rear end. Also he doesn't fit our team as well. Tanev is 20 times the player this guy is.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #150
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Schmidt has red flags coming out of his rear end. Also he doesn't fit our team as well. Tanev is 20 times the player this guy is.

Nate Schmidt was the number 1 d man in Vegas from day one. He only moved to number 2 after Shea Theodore made some massive strides this year and DeBoer took over.

I love Chris Tanev, but no.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #151
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Nate Schmidt was the number 1 d man in Vegas from day one. He only moved to number 2 after Shea Theodore made some massive strides this year and DeBoer took over.

I love Chris Tanev, but no.
I think you are in for a world of hurt when Schmidt gets out of his cozy system D and into the vancouver defensive scheme lol.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #152
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I think you are in for a world of hurt when Schmidt gets out of his cozy system D and into the vancouver defensive scheme lol.
And I think you're in for a world of hurt when your ill-informed assumptions don't come to pass. But hey, hope and prayer is what you got, so use it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #153
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And I think you're in for a world of hurt when your ill-informed assumptions don't come to pass. But hey, hope and prayer is what you got, so use it.
Hahaha your ego has grown completely outsized for your account. When was the last time you were right about anything? I am waiting. Certainly not over the last few weeks. lol
Old 10-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #154
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Hahaha your ego has grown completely outsized for your account. When was the last time you were right about anything? I am waiting. Certainly not over the last few weeks. lol
There is a difference in "being right about guessing where hockey players will sign" and "being right about players not falling off a cliff after a trade"

There's an ego-fuelled assumption being made here, but it isn't mine. Well, yours is more "hope for schadenfreude" fuelled since you can only enjoy hockey when someone else can't. I just suggest looking up north for it though, looking west may give you #1 center envy.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #155
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is a difference in "being right about guessing where hockey players will sign" and "being right about players not falling off a cliff after a trade"

There's an ego-fuelled assumption being made here, but it isn't mine. Well, yours is more "hope for schadenfreude" fuelled since you can only enjoy hockey when someone else can't. I just suggest looking up north for it though, looking west may give you #1 center envy.
Said without the slightest hint of self awareness. Careful, you're treading closer to the tundra with every step. Are you sure your water wasn't bottled in Edmonton?

Your player assessments have been equally dismal, but it's easy enough to get under your skin talking about your many, many whiffs on trades/ free agency.

I don't think there's anything ego driven about saying Vegas has a much more structured D Zone (and team defensive) strategy vs Vancouver. You pretty much admitted that vancouver has relied on goalies now for multiple seasons in the markstrom speculation threads (and the signing thread.) The only subjective part about what I said was guessing that Nate Schmidt was a huge beneficiary of that d structure. The proof is in the pudding, he went from relative 0 to hero after the expansion draft. Team D, chance to play, and probably steroids have a lot to do with that.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #156
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I see no way that you can frame this as bad for Vancouver. Still young enough to get excellent value out of that contract for 3 or 4 years at the cost of a third. We gave up a second for Lazar for god's sake.

I am happy with Tanev and i think he will fit well with what we have but Nate Schmidt is an excellent defenseman.

Last edited by Galakanokis; 10-13-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #157
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I see no way that you can frame this as bad for Vancouver. Still young enough to get excellent value out of that contract for 3 or 4 years at the cost of a third. We gave up a second for Lazar for god's sake.

I am happy with Tanev and i think he will fir well with what we have but Nate Schimdt is an excellent defenseman.
I'll just clarify that I never said it wasn't a good move for Vancouver, only that I don't see the comparison between Tanev and Schmidt as favorable, nor do i think the flames made the wrong "choice" (if this could even qualify as a choice, which I also disagree with.)
Old 10-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #158
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Man, give Vegas credit. They went from a plucky group of cast offs that saw themselves as underdogs that no one thought would win to a large group of whats becoming entitled superstars who will no doubt look out for the team's best intentions along the way.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #159
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Said without the slightest hint of self awareness. Careful, you're treading closer to the tundra with every step. Are you sure your water wasn't bottled in Edmonton?
I suppose you're not wrong. I am a cocky little bugger, ain't I? But that doesn't change the fact your assumptions are based on trying to misery from me so you can enjoy hockey like some sort of strange sports based emotional vampire.

Quote:
Your player assessments have been equally dismal, but it's easy enough to get under your skin talking about your many, many whiffs on trades/ free agency.
I sincerely hope you're right and both Markstrom and Tanev cost you guys 10 million and a play-off spot. I'm not, and I can't think of many player assessments that have been way off. Unless you're harping on about my "Hanafin will never be more than he is" thing, in which case... why is every flames trade proposal centered around this guy currently?

Quote:
I don't think there's anything ego driven about saying Vegas has a much more structured D Zone (and team defensive) strategy vs Vancouver. You pretty much admitted that vancouver has relied on goalies now for multiple seasons in the markstrom speculation threads (and the signing thread.) The only subjective part about what I said was guessing that Nate Schmidt was a huge beneficiary of that d structure. The proof is in the pudding, he went from relative 0 to hero after the expansion draft. Team D, chance to play, and probably steroids have a lot to do with that.

I said that Markstrom was a major part and the Canucks employed a defensive system to work to his strengths because he was our best player. I just also assume that Demko will now step into the role of our best player.Though acquisitions of players like Schmidt will make that less necessary. It's not that Vegas has a more "structured" d-zone. They have better players in the D-zone. We just got their former #1 now #2 for a song. That will help.

And he didn't go from 0 to hero. He was always highly thought of, but the Capitals were one of many teams that lost a legitimate asset due to lack of proper planning. It's why Vegas ended up so good. He stepped into the role of a #1 dman immediately after getting to Vegas and never looked back.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #160
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I suppose you're not wrong. I am a cocky little bugger, ain't I? But that doesn't change the fact your assumptions are based on trying to misery from me so you can enjoy hockey like some sort of strange sports based emotional vampire.

I sincerely hope you're right and both Markstrom and Tanev cost you guys 10 million and a play-off spot. I'm not, and I can't think of many player assessments that have been way off. Unless you're harping on about my "Hanafin will never be more than he is" thing, in which case... why is every flames trade proposal centered around this guy currently?

I said that Markstrom was a major part and the Canucks employed a defensive system to work to his strengths because he was our best player. I just also assume that Demko will now step into the role of our best player.Though acquisitions of players like Schmidt will make that less necessary. It's not that Vegas has a more "structured" d-zone. They have better players in the D-zone. We just got their former #1 now #2 for a song. That will help.

And he didn't go from 0 to hero. He was always highly thought of, but the Capitals were one of many teams that lost a legitimate asset due to lack of proper planning. It's why Vegas ended up so good. He stepped into the role of a #1 dman immediately after getting to Vegas and never looked back.
You keep saying this and it's not true. The "system" implemented by Vancouver was to be frequently outplayed and rely on their goalie to bail them out. They continually gave up more scoring chances than they created.

Vancouver was 3rd worst in SCF% last year. 5th worst in xGF%, 9th worst in CF%. Take a look at the other teams around them in these categories. It's not good company.

They are the very definition of a team that was repeatedly bailed out by their goalie (as Flames fans we know exactly what this looks like). While being a very good defenseman, Schmidt will undoubtedly face more pressure on the Canucks back end. Maybe he will step up, maybe he will regress. We will find out soon (but not soon enough).
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post: