Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2017, 11:02 PM   #1161
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Yeah those build outs are notorious for that. No one insulates the floor for some reason and the cold just works its way around. Like speed5 said, spray foam the bottom from underneath and hopefully that does it. If not the walls likely need a better insulation and vapor barrier job too.

I saw that Home Depot has some small spray foam insulation applicators. So, pretty much wait until the weather is warm enough, take the soffits off, and spray it?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #1162
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty much, post some pics if you can.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #1163
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I saw that Home Depot has some small spray foam insulation applicators. So, pretty much wait until the weather is warm enough, take the soffits off, and spray it?
Hmm, kind of one of those in between jobs. I'd probably rent a real sprayer from home depot if they have them. Those cans don't go too far. Actually I don't know. The cans might do the trick. They have different kinds though. Ask a Home Depot guy if they would work for the size of your job and what kind to get. The window and door kind doesn't expand much. The other kind does expand a lot.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #1164
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hmm, kind of one of those in between jobs. I'd probably rent a real sprayer from home depot if they have them. Those cans don't go too far. Actually I don't know. The cans might do the trick. They have different kinds though. Ask a Home Depot guy if they would work for the size of your job and what kind to get. The window and door kind doesn't expand much. The other kind does expand a lot.
Large gap spray foam cans are really only good for an inch or two of space. It will also not grab well on the bottom of a horizontal surface.

You could give one of these a try. https://www.lowes.ca/foam-insulation..._g1377661.htmlYou might need two. I used these a few times at my home with mixed results. One did a lot more area/thickness than the others and one was really runny. Timing, temperature, shake and pressure on the nozzle seemed to make big differences on the expansion and coverage.

The other option is to fill it with layers of rigid and you could use the large gap cans around the edges of the rigid.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #1165
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not the cans, but the one that the poster below you mentioned. I think they were only $39 at HD, unless I was redirected to the US site again. It's only a 2 ft by 5 ft closet. I think the Spring is going to be full of projects.

Out of curiosity though, what do people with condensation issues battle the water problems? Better quality trim and baseboard than mdf?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:43 PM   #1166
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not really sure where to post this question. Figured here would be best since tools and rents go together...

I'm in the market of buying a cordless power drill combo, and Canadian Tire has the DEWALT 20V Max Li-Ion Brushless Cordless Combo Kit for $370. The same thing is being sold on Amazon for $259. Thats a big difference. Anyone know if Canadian Tire does a price match on online competition?
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:39 AM   #1167
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wormius if you do all the prep work and it's that small a job, and you are flexible on time you might find a spray foam guy who would swing by while on another job and hit it fairly cheap. I've done this on a couple jobs and have a guy whose really reasonable. And the product they use is head and shoulders above what the consumer can get. Those kits your looking at work but are not near as dense.

This is what you want to use, but the cost will probably be < or + a guy stopping by for 20 minutes.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.s...000718744.html

BTW, If you play with spray foam in any form, make sure you have some acetone on hand. It cleans that stuff right off your hands, and cleans the spout on the can so you can reuse them.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #1168
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Not the cans, but the one that the poster below you mentioned. I think they were only $39 at HD, unless I was redirected to the US site again. It's only a 2 ft by 5 ft closet. I think the Spring is going to be full of projects.

Out of curiosity though, what do people with condensation issues battle the water problems? Better quality trim and baseboard than mdf?
Do you have a humidity meter? You should be tracking the humidity levels in various parts of your home. Perhaps you even need a dehumidifier if your tropical plants and other sources are bringing it above a normal level.

Are you running exhaust fans in bathrooms for 30mins during/after showers? Those timer switches are excellent.

MDF is certainly not good for moist areas, but that usually means a bathroom, as in other areas you should really be finding and controlling the source of humidity over just getting more resilient materials.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #1169
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know where I can buy one of these locally?
Would like to buy today.

Tried Home Depot and Lowe's already.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #1170
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where can I buy humidifier parts? The little floaty valve (similar to a toilet tank) has become covered in calcium and doesn't work anymore and the humidifier floods and leaks.

I could disassemble and clean it, but I'd rather just buy a new one. Does a HD or Lowes carry specific parts like that?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #1171
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
Not really sure where to post this question. Figured here would be best since tools and rents go together...

I'm in the market of buying a cordless power drill combo, and Canadian Tire has the DEWALT 20V Max Li-Ion Brushless Cordless Combo Kit for $370. The same thing is being sold on Amazon for $259. Thats a big difference. Anyone know if Canadian Tire does a price match on online competition?

FYI I think I bought that same kit on Black Friday and they threw in a free battery. Try Home Depot, they will match B&M pricing for sure.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #1172
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-hate-hulse View Post
fyi i think i bought that same kit on black friday and they threw in a free battery. Try home depot, they will match b&m pricing for sure.
b&m?
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #1173
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume that means brick and mortar, or a physical store rather than online.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #1174
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there such a thing as patching and blending knock down?

Bought a new house and am going to take a built-in shower enclosure down from the ensuite, problem is that requires taking a small wall out with an obvious connection to the ceiling.

I'd rather not have the entire ensuite redone, so hoping it's possible to patch this.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #1175
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Is there such a thing as patching and blending knock down?

Bought a new house and am going to take a built-in shower enclosure down from the ensuite, problem is that requires taking a small wall out with an obvious connection to the ceiling.

I'd rather not have the entire ensuite redone, so hoping it's possible to patch this.
I had a kitchen reno'd at different times from the living room and they managed to blend it pretty well. It's not 100% and you wouldn't be able to notice unless I told you. A small section might be harder? I'm not sure but it is do-able.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooohooo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #1176
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

It is doable. I've done square patches in the past with decent success. Linear (walls) could be tricky just because there is a big long line to catch the eye.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:14 PM   #1177
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, just cover it up with popcorn ceiling.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #1178
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Meh, just cover it up with popcorn ceiling.

That's not funny!
Old 02-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #1179
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Popcorn ceiling is always funny.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:50 PM   #1180
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Has anyone in Calgary done a stamped concrete patio next to a new build (1 year of settling for the foundation)? I like the idea, but am concerned about cracking...
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote