Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #2961
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Are you getting vinyl siding again, or going with something more durable? I'm a big fan of LP SmartSide. I put it on my garage, and will be doing my house with it next year. Hail wouldn't make a dent in it.

Is that another name for Hardie board, Ora different grade of product?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #2962
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Hey guys, glad I found this thread. I’m having a really tough getting some blemishes out of a paint job on my living room walls. No matter what i do I can’t seem to get a clean look. I had a bunch of DVD racks anchored to the wall, and now even after drywall puttying, painting, sanding again. I can’t seem to get it to look good. I’m a newb to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #2963
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
You've gotta prime the drywall mud first. Even then it can be tricky given wall texture, and what was done before.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 02:54 PM   #2964
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Is that another name for Hardie board, Ora different grade of product?
Different product, different company. Hardie is cement fibre board which has it's own issues, though mostly for the installation. LP is made from something similar to OSB, except every chip is pre-treated with mold resistance, and glued and compressed together. It's lighter and easier to work with than Hardie, and I prefer the texture. I think it's also a bit cheaper.

The material got a bit of a bad rap in the 90's, due to mold and water issues. But it's been re-engineered since then. I left a piece in water for a few months and it barely had any detectable swelling, and didn't come apart at all. Pretty surprising, given it is wood. Maybe in really really moist climates it might have issues in the long term, but around here? I see no reason it would fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #2965
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Are you getting vinyl siding again, or going with something more durable? I'm a big fan of LP SmartSide. I put it on my garage, and will be doing my house with it next year. Hail wouldn't make a dent in it.
Just vinyl again, with some steel siding trim accents.

Can’t afford to upgrade now, not having employment.

Here’s the new colour, replacing the pinkish creamy colour:

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 08-26-2020 at 10:15 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 10:13 PM   #2966
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am reroofing a garage roof/deck and had to raise the patio door so I can slope the roof and make the entrance watertight. I spent 12 hours today removing the patio door, raising the header and reframing the opening to undo the last guys errors. I never knew 5 inches of spray foam could be used to anchor a patio door.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 08:44 AM   #2967
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure this is the right thread, but my wife and I are doing some renos and there has been talk of a steam shower. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it worth the cost and the extra work to ensure no water damage? And if anyone has it, do you actually use the steam feature much?
Old 09-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #2968
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Not sure this is the right thread, but my wife and I are doing some renos and there has been talk of a steam shower. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it worth the cost and the extra work to ensure no water damage? And if anyone has it, do you actually use the steam feature much?
You almost want to do the same water proofing for a normal shower anyway. It's not much more to waterproof a steam shower. I think your extra cost might be the glass doors and if course the steam effects.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #2969
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a friend who had one put in when he built his house and he said it was over $9000 in extras.

But he said it was worth it. So...
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #2970
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
You almost want to do the same water proofing for a normal shower anyway.
Couldn't agree more. Regardless what type of shower you are putting in, that's gotta be sealed up perfectly. I can't think of another area of a house that can do as much potential damage, even over the short term, as a leaky shower install. That's something you want to even over engineer a bit.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:03 PM   #2971
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

The steam unit itself is probably the largest cost. You also need to consider a location for the unit outside of the shower that has a removable panel to access it for servicing.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #2972
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any recommendations for a custom closet organizer system / kit?

Looking for a quality wood product (as opposed to metal or fabric).
Old 09-04-2020, 01:17 PM   #2973
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

We are thinking replacing a Jacuzzi tub from the prior owner with the steam shower, so the access panel is already there. Seems like it would be worth it so long as we think we'll get usage out of it.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #2974
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I planning a deck out for next year.

I live in a house without a back ally. In those houses are there typically buried lines in the back yard? Obviously I will call for a line locate before digging but for planning purposes I’m wondering if I should expect to have to deal with them.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #2975
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

I live in a house without a back ally. In those houses are there typically buried lines in the back yard? Obviously I will call for a line locate before digging but for planning purposes I’m wondering if I should expect to have to deal with them.

Can you check out your neighbors' decks to give you an idea of what might be allowed? If a few people have built similar sized and shaped decks it might indicate what you could expect.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #2976
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Do you have a gas line ran to the back yard for a future BBQ? It might be external but you should be able to tell visually. Other than that I cannot think of why there would be a utility line in the back yard.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:24 AM   #2977
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Onecall is free. You may as well get a locate, you can do it online now. You are going to want to do one no matter what, so you may as well find out now. If there is nothing there, then you are good to go in the spring. Not worth gambling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #2978
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Depends on if the utilities are from the street or the alley. All of mine come from the alley; there's nothing under the street in front of my house except storm sewer.

Generally you shouldn't be digging anywhere near deep enough to hit a water or sewer line. Your gas line may be an issue; mine used to run right up the middle of the lot from the alley, with the meter assembly inside the house underneath the basement stairs, but it was relocated years ago to the side of the house.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #2979
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Simple and easy, order in One Call and know for sure. You will have your information by Wednesday

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #2980
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Call now for planning it out and then call again once you’re ready to start. Locates are valid for two weeks from when they get marked.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote