Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2018, 08:03 AM   #141
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
His classic respond after getting scored on was starting the 4th line.
I could never understand why.
Hint: it has something to do with GG being a frickin moron
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #142
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I forgot about his fourth line fetish.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #143
calgARI
Not Jim Playfair

Exp:

I haven’t seen a flames team play with the consistent tempo that the Flames have this week in many years. Every year the team would have good stretches and bad, but even during the winning streaks, there’d be plenty of survival nights. Not this week - dominant.

CALGARY
Stanley Cup Champions: 1989
calgARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:39 AM   #144
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

My thoughts; this team looks fast, much faster than under GG, and I'm not talking skating, but passing and decision making. They also seem to be playing with more instinct. That's a result of coaching.

GG practiced slow and was adamant the team play according to his over complexed system, taking out the players natural instinct, and making this team much slower and much more predictable.
and like other posters have stated, Peters is much better at reading the game and making appropriate adjustments. GG seemed to have a set playbook he'd refer to in all situations and couldn't diverge from it.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:19 AM   #145
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Peters and GG were compared quite frequently before the season started. However, this team is showing similarities with Hartley too.

There are two big changes in the offensive zone that I can see this year, when compared with the previous coaches.

1) Defensive involvement in the O zone. They are engaged and pinching plenty, but are not relied upon to be the primary offensive shot threats, like was the case particularly under Hartley. Perhaps a huge part of this is the forward depth; they now often have an offensive threat forward on the ice with them. This is resulting in more sustained offensive zone time, as pucks aren’t being blocked at the top of the circles and heading right out on a rush against.

2) Cross ice passes. So many of the top line, second line, and PP goals have been a result of a pass crossing the ‘Royal Road’. Lindholm in particular has benefitted from this change, along with being a recipient of Gaudreau’s passing skill. Ironically, I think that the emphasis on cross-ice passes has decreased the total number of shots on goal, as they are harder to execute, but it certainly increases the danger of the chances overall.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #146
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Interesting take on Carolina and flames via some Brindamour comments.

https://www.thepointhockey.com/thats...od-brindamour/
Interesting article, but what's even more interesting is that Carolina has gotten even worse at converting chances into goals this year under Brindamour than they were last year under Peters. Meanwhile, the Flames are substantially better at converting chances than they were last year. So Peters isn't the problem here, the lack of finishing ability on the Canes is.

On a separate note, that website has some interesting stats. And according to those stats, Gaudreau and the Flames are killing it. Some examples (excluding last night):

O-Zone Puck Possession:
Barzal - 1:14
Kane - 1:13
Eichel - 1:13
Panarin -1"09
Gaudreau - 1:05

Slot Pass Completions (Johnny's killing it, and likely extended his lead last night)
Gaudreau - 51
Panarin - 42
Giroux - 42
Draisaitl - 39
Kucherov - 38

Controlled Zone Entries (likely extended his lead here too)
Gaudreau - 117
Kane - 116
Larkin - 108
McDavid - 107
Toews - 103

Slot Shots
Tavares - 42
Monahan - 39
Kane - 36

Inner Slot Shots (per game)
Sharks - 10.4
Hurricanes - 10.2
Flames - 9.8
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #147
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Peters and GG were compared quite frequently before the season started. However, this team is showing similarities with Hartley too.

There are two big changes in the offensive zone that I can see this year, when compared with the previous coaches.

1) Defensive involvement in the O zone. They are engaged and pinching plenty, but are not relied upon to be the primary offensive shot threats, like was the case particularly under Hartley. Perhaps a huge part of this is the forward depth; they now often have an offensive threat forward on the ice with them. This is resulting in more sustained offensive zone time, as pucks aren’t being blocked at the top of the circles and heading right out on a rush against.

2) Cross ice passes. So many of the top line, second line, and PP goals have been a result of a pass crossing the ‘Royal Road’. Lindholm in particular has benefitted from this change, along with being a recipient of Gaudreau’s passing skill. Ironically, I think that the emphasis on cross-ice passes has decreased the total number of shots on goal, as they are harder to execute, but it certainly increases the danger of the chances overall.
The stats I just posted speak to that exactly. Gaudreau has gone next-level.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #148
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The stats I just posted speak to that exactly. Gaudreau has gone next-level.
Gaudreau (and Monahan) still 'quiet' in the minds of most of the media. That is a good thing.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:51 AM   #149
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post

Lack of offense from defensemen is something I've found surprising. Outside of Gio they've put up very few points, and no goals.

I'm guessing this has a lot to do with the defense in general being a bit of mess to start the season. I expect things to start improving now that team defense seems to coming along.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #150
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Peters shortening the right part of the bench. not like GG last year playing the 4th line over the 1st.
I think GG was in over his head and it showed. I doubt he gets another head coaching job in the NHL unless it is with Oilers.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #151
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Lack of offense from defensemen is something I've found surprising. Outside of Gio they've put up very few points, and no goals.

I'm guessing this has a lot to do with the defense in general being a bit of mess to start the season. I expect things to start improving now that team defense seems to coming along.
True. But the D is on pace for 169 points (146 last year), and more importantly, the team is 5th overall in goals per game, ahead of Tampa and Toronto.

And while they're not getting the goals, the quality pinching at the blueline has been a huge improvement over last year. So has their breakout passing, and their transitional play overall.

The D can help in the offense in many ways without potting a lot of goals.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #152
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting article, but what's even more interesting is that Carolina has gotten even worse at converting chances into goals this year under Brindamour than they were last year under Peters. Meanwhile, the Flames are substantially better at converting chances than they were last year. So Peters isn't the problem here, the lack of finishing ability on the Canes is.

On a separate note, that website has some interesting stats. And according to those stats, Gaudreau and the Flames are killing it. Some examples (excluding last night):

O-Zone Puck Possession:
Barzal - 1:14
Kane - 1:13
Eichel - 1:13
Panarin -1"09
Gaudreau - 1:05

Slot Pass Completions (Johnny's killing it, and likely extended his lead last night)
Gaudreau - 51
Panarin - 42
Giroux - 42
Draisaitl - 39
Kucherov - 38

Controlled Zone Entries (likely extended his lead here too)
Gaudreau - 117
Kane - 116
Larkin - 108
McDavid - 107
Toews - 103

Slot Shots
Tavares - 42
Monahan - 39
Kane - 36

Inner Slot Shots (per game)
Sharks - 10.4
Hurricanes - 10.2
Flames - 9.8
There's something wrong with your list as McJesus isn't on it enough.
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #153
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
My thoughts; this team looks fast, much faster than under GG, and I'm not talking skating, but passing and decision making. They also seem to be playing with more instinct. That's a result of coaching.

GG practiced slow and was adamant the team play according to his over complexed system, taking out the players natural instinct, and making this team much slower and much more predictable.
and like other posters have stated, Peters is much better at reading the game and making appropriate adjustments. GG seemed to have a set playbook he'd refer to in all situations and couldn't diverge from it.
Peters manages through "empowerment" by giving the players the tools and the means while GG style was more top down. With a direct management style the leader more or less controls the out comes. A lot of business now days are empowerment based and can grow a lot quicker by using everyone's talents. GG might be a bright guy, but was not the right guy. Putting Brouwer out and not trusting, or leaving your skilled guys sitting on the bench is a poor management of resources.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #154
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Peters manages through "empowerment" by giving the players the tools and the means while GG style was more top down. With a direct management style the leader more or less controls the out comes. A lot of business now days are empowerment based and can grow a lot quicker by using everyone's talents. GG might be a bright guy, but was not the right guy. Putting Brouwer out and not trusting, or leaving your skilled guys sitting on the bench is a poor management of resources.
The big thing I see is accountability throughout the roster. We've seen Ryan scratched this year along with Frolik. It took about 3 years of Brower being a plug before he saw the pressbox. Its easy to scratch young guys but shows you're in the charge when you are scratching vets with big contracts.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #155
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True. But the D is on pace for 169 points (146 last year), and more importantly, the team is 5th overall in goals per game, ahead of Tampa and Toronto.

And while they're not getting the goals, the quality pinching at the blueline has been a huge improvement over last year. So has their breakout passing, and their transitional play overall.

The D can help in the offense in many ways without potting a lot of goals.
Agreed.

I think they will need more goals from the blueline at some point, but it's more an observation than a worry. Ebbs and flows will happen.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #156
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed! ^ The accountability factor is huge, the opportunity is there to earn the ice-time for guys showing the right effort. The idea this applies to foolish penalties forces players to focus. Good guidelines + reward = a trusted taskmaster!
Old 11-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #157
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Stick with it" seems to be really catching on in the dressing room.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:31 PM   #158
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the players see it. They know they are generating chances and when Peters shortens the bench it is wave after wave after wave. Eventually you are rewarded.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #159
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's amazing what a competent coach can do to a locker room. I posted a Peters quote last night in the off where he said it's nice to have a mentally tough group in that room. Not a once would I have said that about the team last year. Not once.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #160
ColoradoFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Watching his interviews are very interesting. He comes off the ice from practice, dripping with sweat, and he’s able to talk to reporters about the details of a game from last week. He’s able to recall who made the pass on a goal.
I understand that it’s his job, but his attention to detail is great with the reporters, so I can only imagine he demands that from his staff and players too.
ColoradoFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote