Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default 2012 NFL Draft Thread

Post your mocks here, or discuss what your team is looking to do.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Otsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No shortage of mocks here: http://www.walterfootball.com/draftdata.php
Otsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Well I'm a Chiefs fan and with the signing of Eric Winston it's opened up a few things that the Chiefs can do in the draft now. Before he signed, they were pretty much committed to having to take a Tackle, be it Rieff if he fell down that far, or reach for a guy like Martins.

I think the first 3 picks will be

Luck
RG3
Kalil

Than it gets interesting as Cleveland has a choice of Morris Claiborne, Trent Richardson, or Justin Blackmon. Of course some still think they're in on Tannehill too, but I think this is too early to grab him. Depending on what Cleveland does it will shape how the next few picks go, especially if they were to opt for Blackmon, than the Bucs wnt for Claiborne, and the Rams are left looking at Richardson. The Rams I suspect are hoping for one of Claiborne, or Blackmon to still be around when they pick. Although given the milage on Jackson, I don't think they should pass up Richardson.

After that we get to Jacksonville who can either go with Rieff the tackle, or one of the rush ends in Coples, or Melvin Ingram.

Get to Miami at 8 and they seem a lock to take Tannehill.

Carolina at 9, I've seen Dontari Poe thrown around, as well as others who can provide defensive line help like Fletcher Cox, and of course a pass rusher like Ingram/Coples. Some recent mock drafts have Corner Stephon Gilmore flying up the rankings, and the Panthers could also look to get a corner here with him or Dre Kirkpatrick considering the Division they play in.

The Bills at 10 I think will grab Riley Rieff here if Jacksonville doesn't, since Demitreus Bell still isn't signed. If he's off the board, maybe they reach for the next tackle?

Now with the Chiefs, I think Fletcher Cox is a possibility, as is Dontari Poe as a nose tackle is something they need. Cox really isn't a true 0 technique nose, but he can flex to be an end too, whereas with Poe who was a combine freak, he hasn't shown much flexibilty to be moved around that Cox has.

They could also grab a corner here as Peyton Manning, and Pip Rivers account for 25% of their schedule so in those games you could find yourself in a lot of nickle situations. When they beat the Packers, they put a corner on Finley that entire game, so with big athletic tight end being the buzz position it is now, teams could be looking at stocking more corner depth to cover these guys.

Another guy could be DeCastro the guard from Stanford. As you'll see a lot of high powered passing attacks, giving yourself a front 5 that you can beat back the opposing defence and ramming the ball down their throat might become a necessity for the Chiefs. Getting a young group on the interior like DeCastro, Husdon, Asomugha to go with tackles like Albert and Winston gives the team a chance to gel a good solid line that can play together for 5+ years and the interior group for a few more.

At this point I'm not sure what direction they'll go. By signing Winston they've put themselves in position where the BPA can be taken. As the draft nears, I'm sure things will change around a fair bit after pick 3.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure we are going to see the "too early to take him" mentality as much with the rookie cap now in place. When 1st round QBs made a mint and the higher the more they garnered relative to other positions, it is definitely a consideration. But with the cap I think now it is much more reasonable to reach for a QB a bit early since the economic penalty if you miss with the pick isn't quite so crippling.

So if Cleveland really does believe they need a new QB they may be well served to take one somewhat higher than would be projected. Although personally I think there are enough other holes that the Browns should either take the best player left on the board or see if they can trade back a few spots an pick up a few more picks.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the Eagles trading for Ryans I think they will most likely go BPA. A CB is possible with Samuel being trade bait, Reid likes to draft linesman so can never rule that out.

I would like a bigger TE for the Eagles. I like Celek, but having a bigger target for Vick would be great for redzone plays. Possibly a big WR, for the same reason.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

I hear the Colts need a new QB and Andrew Luck is the pick.

After that, I think nose tackle is a big need and they will draft one. Additionally, another wide reciever who Luck can get the ball too and an improvement on secondary.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who knows what the Pats will do...but it likely means trading down. I assume we will get an additional 4 2nd round picks for the 2 late 1st rounders.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
With the Eagles trading for Ryans I think they will most likely go BPA. A CB is possible with Samuel being trade bait, Reid likes to draft linesman so can never rule that out.

I would like a bigger TE for the Eagles. I like Celek, but having a bigger target for Vick would be great for redzone plays. Possibly a big WR, for the same reason.
I still wouldn't mind if they take Kuechly or even trade down a couple spots and wait for him or a big guard. If they're going BPA, Floyd might not be a bad idea either.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

I predict that the Saints will be awful quiet until the 3rd round. Then, it'll be BPA, as usual.
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am hoping Cleveland selects Trent richardson @ 4 to take some pressure off Colt McCoy. Then address the WR and RT positions. Holmgren will most likely select a project QB later in the draft.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never want to go through a Draft again where my team doesn't have a 1st round pick...let alone a 2nd rounder either. I usually get so jacked up about it, watch a lot of the Combine, etc. This year I feel like I'm standing outside watching someone's bday party with my nose pressed against the glass.

And agreed with Moe, they'll go BPA. '03 Johnathan Sullivan, never forget..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I still wouldn't mind if they take Kuechly or even trade down a couple spots and wait for him or a big guard. If they're going BPA, Floyd might not be a bad idea either.
I would love it if the Eagles took Kuechly. Floyd would be a good pick if they don't plan on signing Burress.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Texans went from having relatively few needs before the start of free agency, to having plenty of needs now. I'm assuming a couple of holes/depth spots will be filled through free agency still, but we really need to have a huge draft now.

Biggest needs in no specific order are: WR, OG, OLB and ILB.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
Otsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Todd McShay's latest from today:
1. IND - Andrew Luck QB
2. WAS - Robert Griffin QB
3. MIN - Matt Kalil OT
4. CLE - Justin Blackmon WR
5. TB - Trent Richardson RB
6. STL - Morris Claiborne CB
7. JAX - Riley Reiff OT
8. MIA - Ryan Tannehill QB
9. CAR - Dontari Poe DT
10. BUF - Michael Floyd WR
11. KC - Luke Kuechly ILB
12. SEA - Quinton Coples DE
13. ARZ - Melvin Ingram DE/OLB
14. DAL - Fletcher Cox DE/DT
15. PHI - Mark Barron SS
16. NYJ - Courtney Upshaw DE/OLB
17. CIN - David DeCastro G
18. SD - Cordy Glenn G
19. CHI - Jonathan Martin OT
20. TEN - Dre Kirkpatrick CB
21. CIN - Stephon Gilmore CB
22. CLE - Mike Adams OT
23. DET - Whitney Mercilis DE
24. PIT - Dont'a Hightower ILB
25. DEN - Michael Brockers DT
26. HOU - Kendall Wright WR
27. NE - Chandler Jones DE/OLB
28. GB - Andre Branch DE/OLB
29. BAL - Harrison Smith SS
30. SF - Stephen Hill WR
31. NE - Kendall Reyes DE/DT
32. NYG - Lavonte David OLB
Otsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brock Osweiler is scheduled to visit Denver, Kansas City, Miami and Buffalo. 28/30 teams were present at his pro day...and it was HIS pro day as he wasn't healthy enough to participate in ASU's pro day.

Still hope the Broncos find a way to get his guy in the second round. 3 years behind Manning and he'll be ready to go.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chicago is going to go DL/DE. With a possibility at WR/OL if someone falls into their lap

Last edited by DropIt; 04-26-2012 at 08:32 AM.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otsy View Post
19. CHI - Jonathan Martin OT
20. TEN - Dre Kirkpatrick CB
21. CIN - Stephon Gilmore CB
22. CLE - Mike Adams OT
23. DET - Whitney Mercilis DE
If that is how the actual draft goes down with the 4 guys that I would want (realizing Martin and Kirkpatrick are pipe dreams) going right before the Lions and then them taking a position that they don't need two years in a row I will be pissed.

I understand that Vanden Bosch is old and needs to be replaced but the O-Line and Cb position is so awful I can;t see how they can ignore both two years in a row for a position of strength.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #18
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Well I'm a Chiefs fan.
No way!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #19
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
No way!
I know shocking. Those glorious red and gold jerseys though.

Who do you want the Browns going after in the first round? They're the team who's really going to influence how this draft plays out after the top 3.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Brock Osweiler is scheduled to visit Denver, Kansas City, Miami and Buffalo. 28/30 teams were present at his pro day...and it was HIS pro day as he wasn't healthy enough to participate in ASU's pro day.

Still hope the Broncos find a way to get his guy in the second round. 3 years behind Manning and he'll be ready to go.
Osweiler tweeted that he's been invited to the Green Room at the draft. Not that it's a guarantee, but that's a pretty good sign that he's going in Round 1.
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote