Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2024, 12:28 PM   #18761
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

How can he not be the front runner. They just lost to the 2 worst politicians in Cdn history with Kenney and Smith.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:38 PM   #18762
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
I don't really know what this means. I'd say no but you might feel differently depending on your politics or how you feel about Nenshi.
I guess I mean, is he likely to try to re-brand the party as a very different beast from the Federal NDP - i.e., change the logo and colour to purple, focus heavily on issues pertaining to fiscal prudence, reducing bureaucracy and wonky policy stuff rather than values, and clearly distinguish himself from Singh & Co. That sort of thing... I've seen some noise being made about the NDP "expanding the tent" and cutting ties with their federal counterparts, and that causing friction with party insiders.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 12:45 PM   #18763
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I guess I mean, is he likely to try to re-brand the party as a very different beast from the Federal NDP - i.e., change the logo and colour to purple, focus heavily on issues pertaining to fiscal prudence, reducing bureaucracy and wonky policy stuff rather than values, and clearly distinguish himself from Singh & Co. That sort of thing... I've seen some noise being made about the NDP "expanding the tent" and cutting ties with their federal counterparts, and that causing friction with party insiders.
Logo & colour? No.
He's said he will put separation from the Federal party to a vote (all any candidate can really say) and that he thinks the party charter (or something along those lines, might be a different name) is way out of date and needs some updating.

So if you're a hardcore NDP base and party insider, you probably think he's taking over the party. If you're anybody else, you probably think he's taking away some of the easy sticks the UCP beat them with and trying to continue to move to the center to maximize electability.

Last edited by Torture; 04-01-2024 at 12:48 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 01:23 PM   #18764
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

random stuff from the ole tweeter or whatev it's called now...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1774868524982276142

https://twitter.com/user/status/1774827275185467791

https://twitter.com/user/status/1774832031274619178

https://twitter.com/user/status/1763635007854432436
Old 04-01-2024, 01:28 PM   #18765
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Logo & colour? No.
He's said he will put separation from the Federal party to a vote (all any candidate can really say) and that he thinks the party charter (or something along those lines, might be a different name) is way out of date and needs some updating.

So if you're a hardcore NDP base and party insider, you probably think he's taking over the party. If you're anybody else, you probably think he's taking away some of the easy sticks the UCP beat them with and trying to continue to move to the center to maximize electability.
Nenshi or any other leader can't unilaterally step in and start making drastic changes because everything has to go through a resolution and be voted on by the NDP party Members at a convention anyways.

Obviously he can be the driving forces behind a lot of "revolutionary" changes and all the new party members that support his vision would be useful in voting for the new resolutions.

I expect there will be quite a battle during this leadership race between old, what the party has been built upon, and new, how do you grow the party and how much do you give up to attract moderate or right of center voters.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 01:55 PM   #18766
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I expect there will be quite a battle during this leadership race between old, what the party has been built upon, and new, how do you grow the party and how much do you give up to attract moderate or right of center voters.
To which the answer should very obviously be, "however much it takes to win the election"...

Regardless, seems like it's an interesting enough question that it's worth the ten bucks to me to buy an ANDP membership to vote for him and see what he does.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:58 PM   #18767
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What a difference a few years makes... Here's Danielle Smith praising the carbon tax - https://streamable.com/imzm76?src=player-page-share
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 09:56 PM   #18768
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

How do we punt THIS C U Next Tuesday? Funny that we don’t see those stickers anymore.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:20 PM   #18769
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I don't really post in here anymore but rather than actually doing my own work I'm wondering if someone could give a sense of what the current status quo is after a couple of weeks post-Nenshi-announcement now that the dust has presumably somewhat settled... i.e., is he the runaway favourite to become Alberta NDP leader? Is there a sense that he's going to change the brand to be the Nenshi party? If there were oddsmakers, how would they be handicapping an ultimate Nenshi vs. Smith election?
Most likely as there was a huge increase in memberships the week following his entering the race. The numbers for him look so strong that it caused Pancholi to exit the race despite her team believing that she was leading the race before his entry. From my calls to members, it would be pretty hard to call whether Hoffman or Ganley would now be second in the race. There's quite a bit of support for Ganley in Calgary but she may lose some of that with Nenshi's candidacy. I didn't come across a lot of Hoffman supporters but then I didn't make a lot of calls in Edmonton where she is likely to get a lot of support. I came across only a single supporter for Stonehouse and none that were in support of McGowan.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:09 AM   #18770
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Most likely as there was a huge increase in memberships the week following his entering the race. The numbers for him look so strong that it caused Pancholi to exit the race despite her team believing that she was leading the race before his entry. From my calls to members, it would be pretty hard to call whether Hoffman or Ganley would now be second in the race. There's quite a bit of support for Ganley in Calgary but she may lose some of that with Nenshi's candidacy. I didn't come across a lot of Hoffman supporters but then I didn't make a lot of calls in Edmonton where she is likely to get a lot of support. I came across only a single supporter for Stonehouse and none that were in support of McGowan.

Pancholi said in her withdrawing video that every leadership candidate receives updated membership information. Nenshi had more than doubled the size of the ANDP in the 10 days between his announcement and her withdraw.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:57 AM   #18771
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Watching the Junos last night and Tegan and Sara received the humanitarian award for their organization, The Tegan and Sara Foundation. With this foundation they support 2SLGBTQ+ people.
They gave a great speech and it was great that they specifically called out the Alberta government for the way they attack the 2SLGBTQ+ community, especially the youth.

So to circle back on this, Tegan and Sara Get Hundreds of Artists to Sign Open Letter Against Anti-Trans Legislation in Canada

Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 12:43 PM   #18772
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great list, including a contingent of Calgarians repping us on the national and international stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 12:53 PM   #18773
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Who the #### is Tobi and how did they get on the big font list with all of the other people who I've actually heard of?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 12:56 PM   #18774
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Who the #### is Tobi and how did they get on the big font list with all of the other people who I've actually heard of?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 12:57 PM   #18775
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Naw seriously though, I've never heard of them either.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 01:10 PM   #18776
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Google tells me he won some Juno awards this year
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 03:24 PM   #18777
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure why but I picked up an unknown caller ID for the 1st time in like 5 year.

It was Druh Farrell calling in support of Nenshi. We talked for about 15mins and I told her I was a first time ANDP member and that I got 12 other people to sign up. I asked if she was going to run again and she said no.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:06 PM   #18778
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like how Paul Langlois requires (the tragically hip) at the end of his name.

His buddies must text him.... "Haha, biggest band in Canada and no one knows who you are, hell even your fellow musicians know that no one knows who you are".
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:12 PM   #18779
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this is a ####ed up way to find out that Lois died (9 years ago). Sharon and Bram are in their 80s!
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:35 PM   #18780
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I like how Paul Langlois requires (the tragically hip) at the end of his name.

His buddies must text him.... "Haha, biggest band in Canada and no one knows who you are, hell even your fellow musicians know that no one knows who you are".
Dallas Green and Jim Cuddy also have their bands listed next to their names. Do people not know who those guys are either? In Langlois’ case it makes sense, as he was always the quiet unassuming guy in the band. Not sure why it’s necessary for those other guys who are much more well known.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post: