Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2024, 11:15 AM   #5961
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I don't mind it. Especially if it means we could get Norrin Radd in the "modern" MCU and not in the 1960s Fantastic Four movie. At some point they have to be transported in time to the current timeline.

But it's also too early to say. People are up in arms about it and they haven't announced Doom yet and there's still a chance we also get Norrin Radd/Silver Surfer in.

We only have part of the information now so there's no reason to get your unstable molecule undies in a bunch until we're closer to seeing a full cast and story synopsis.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 12:17 PM   #5962
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
So what do we all feel with the Silver Surfer casting?

https://people.com/julia-garner-play...c-four-8624543

I haven't watched Ozark, but she's won a few awards on the show. I'm not a huge fan of the gender swap. I know the character exists in the comics (Shalla-Bal), but most fans are more familiar with Norrin Radd. It just feels like another confusing decision by Disney/Marvel. To choose a relatively unknown actor for such a prominent role. Can they expect her to lead her own franchise (beyond Fantastic Four) when they've already alienated much of the fanbase?
Oh not Julia Garner!! Don't do it!

The Silver Surfer Sucks and this role will destroy your otherwise seemingly promising career!

Don't do it Julia!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 01:41 AM   #5963
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garner has been great in everything I've seen her in. I've never been a big Fantastic 4 or Silver Surfer fan, so I have no opinion on whether she'll ruin the character, but she is a great actress.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:01 AM   #5964
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I don't mind it. Especially if it means we could get Norrin Radd in the "modern" MCU and not in the 1960s Fantastic Four movie. At some point they have to be transported in time to the current timeline.

But it's also too early to say. People are up in arms about it and they haven't announced Doom yet and there's still a chance we also get Norrin Radd/Silver Surfer in.

We only have part of the information now so there's no reason to get your unstable molecule undies in a bunch until we're closer to seeing a full cast and story synopsis.
The silver surfer doesn't age, so they could have him in both the current MCU and the retro FF movie.

That being said, the character swap here is likely to be pretty small potatoes. If the MCU doesn't hit all the beats that make the FF good, it's going to be an awful film no matter what. I see what they went with the retro vibe, at the FF are a bit camp. I hope they don't go all Wandavision with the retro though.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 08:47 AM   #5965
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

They shouldn't have Silver Surfer even in this movie.

Keep it simple and with a classic villain or two. Don't marvel it up and go over the top and introduce ever single friggin FF villain and friend in the first movie.

Mole Man FTW!!!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:08 AM   #5966
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
It's not a gender swap, it's a different character that's existed pretty much the same amount of time. There's also no indication that this excludes Radd. Both can exist.

Man, I would consider myself a pretty big comic nerd and I just can't wrap my head around why people care so much about using different characters or even a gender/race swap for the sake of making a lineup of characters that don't all look the same. It's boring when there's a bunch of dudes (mostly white) in a row fighting the bad guys.

Comics have been gender/race swapping their characters for the sake of more sales and inclusion since the beginning of comic books. It's not a new thing Disney came up with. I don't look at the movies as anything different than when a new writer/artist takes on a comic series and changes some things for the sake of something fresh. It happens all the time. God forbid some of your daughters have a cool character to enjoy.

quoted for emphasis
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:33 AM   #5967
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The silver surfer doesn't age, so they could have him in both the current MCU and the retro FF movie.

That being said, the character swap here is likely to be pretty small potatoes. If the MCU doesn't hit all the beats that make the FF good, it's going to be an awful film no matter what. I see what they went with the retro vibe, at the FF are a bit camp. I hope they don't go all Wandavision with the retro though.
I do feel like FF is going to be a tough movie to pull off in todays tone.

I think they definitely put themselves on the back peddle already though with this casting. It does seem gimicky to me.

How much of the FF comic story line does the male version occupy and how much does the female..

Unless they are specifically targeting a FF story line with the female version, then that makes a lot more sense.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:02 AM   #5968
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I do feel like FF is going to be a tough movie to pull off in todays tone.

I think they definitely put themselves on the back peddle already though with this casting. It does seem gimicky to me.

How much of the FF comic story line does the male version occupy and how much does the female..

Unless they are specifically targeting a FF story line with the female version, then that makes a lot more sense.
The female actress will be playing Shalla Bal, who was Norrin Radd's partner, and the reason why he took on the role as the Silver Surfer to spare his planet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalla-Bal

She wasn't herself, a herald of Galactus, except in alternate realities. So it's a departure, unless they are using a branched timeline.....I'd prefer they just swap the characters than get into more of a mess with branched timelines. Once again, the gender swap is a pretty minor thing in the context of everything that could go wrong here.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 03:47 PM   #5969
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

You know, Galactus only ever having a single herald never made sense...

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 10:38 AM   #5970
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it a gender swap, or is this just establishing her character so she can be a lead in to an actual Silver Surfer movie?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 06:56 PM   #5971
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joker 2 saving the comic book genre, this looks amazing

https://twitter.com/user/status/1777862016608129459
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 07:23 PM   #5972
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the silver surfer, from a basic storytelling viewpoint it makes sense. If you have her in the 1960s, then it sets up Norrin radd in the future, with galactus following. It spreads out a storyline over multiple movies, and really allows it to breathe.

Also you can start the story in the late 60s and do a time jump that just bleeds universe building potential. Having Agatha established already and a Doom added later leads into the supernatural, which just expands the reach of FF storytelling.

Zero problem with Julia's casting, it opens up the writing. Do they follow through with the potential? Who knows. I do like that it makes it so you don't introduce too many aspects all in the first movie, done intelligent ly.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:25 PM   #5973
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also hate that the immediate uproar feels like a studio plant. Why would anyone really be upset? It's not even a radical decision.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:27 PM   #5974
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take all my money this sounds unreal

https://twitter.com/user/status/1778461589693476939
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 02:36 PM   #5975
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Like they’re going to get actual turtles?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 10:50 PM   #5976
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Paramount has also confirmed the Transformers/GI Joe cross over has been approved.

RIP Bumblebee
Welcome, Goldbug.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 08:19 AM   #5977
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post

Just get this guy to lead the animation team on it.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:30 AM   #5978
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post

*Yawn*

Call me when they finally have the guts to release RoboNinjaTurtleBatmanCop!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 01:21 PM   #5979
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Watching blood and guts shouldn’t be the main emphasis of releasing a movie.

Make a good story, it’ll sell regardless.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 01:48 PM   #5980
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

An R-rated, live action Ninja Turtles movie sounds like a catastrophically stupid idea, I don't care how well the graphic novel was received.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: