Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default Need help with setting up a MEAN stack (first time)

Hey... anyone have experience setting up a MEAN stack in Windows 10? There are lots of tutorials online, but they are pretty old and they're geared towards installing each item of the stack separately.

I'm hoping to find a simple install, like XAMPP for PHP, but so far no luck...

Essentially, I need to start learning the stack, but complicated setup procedures make me question whether I'm set up properly or not. It feels like I'm just installing four different things that may or may not be connected to each other - instead of a single, connected stack.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Well the stack is just 4 different things that happen to be connected to each other

Doing this stuff in Windows 10 is often more difficult, and combine that with far fewer guides and info on how to maintain it and you'll probably end up wasting a lot of time on it, at least until you understand all the moving pieces enough to just set it up yourself without any guide.

I'd recommend installing VirtualBox or similar (or get a cheap VPS like https://www.ssdnodes.com/pricing/), setting up a Linux VM (CentOS or Ubuntu) and going from there. I think you'll find a lot better guides that way. Might be able to find some pre-built VMs too.

I also try to look at guides put out by VPS providers, they tend to be pretty decent and recent compared to random blog posts (though I couldn't find anything recent with MEAN).

And finally, you could also check into Docker, there are probably containers or Docker compose files that would build the stack using containers.

I tend to use containers for this stuff now all the time, makes it so when I build something it's completely repeatable and easy to run the app. But it is a different way of doing things and does require some learning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what I call a mean stack.

topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Well the stack is just 4 different things that happen to be connected to each other

Doing this stuff in Windows 10 is often more difficult, and combine that with far fewer guides and info on how to maintain it and you'll probably end up wasting a lot of time on it, at least until you understand all the moving pieces enough to just set it up yourself without any guide.

I'd recommend installing VirtualBox or similar (or get a cheap VPS like https://www.ssdnodes.com/pricing/), setting up a Linux VM (CentOS or Ubuntu) and going from there. I think you'll find a lot better guides that way. Might be able to find some pre-built VMs too.

I also try to look at guides put out by VPS providers, they tend to be pretty decent and recent compared to random blog posts (though I couldn't find anything recent with MEAN).

And finally, you could also check into Docker, there are probably containers or Docker compose files that would build the stack using containers.

I tend to use containers for this stuff now all the time, makes it so when I build something it's completely repeatable and easy to run the app. But it is a different way of doing things and does require some learning.
This is brilliant, thanks! I didn't even think of using a Linux VM. That makes way more sense. VPS is also another great idea (I used to like slicehost for this stuff).

Docker is on my list of things to learn for sure, but I'm not there yet. I feel like my years of virtualization experience should help me pick it up pretty quickly, but so far it's eluded me.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah Docker's one of those things that seems like it's far away until one day you're in a situation that you can bridge the gap and suddenly it clicks. Or at least that's how it worked for a few of us on my team.

But I've been in DevOps for a while now so I think that helped a lot. I've used Puppet and other configuration management tools, so a Docker container is very analogous in that the Dockerfile is basically a script that does what you want (i.e. install some package, unzip this file, copy these source files in, run bower, etc), and you end up with an artifact that you can just feed whatever runtime config it needs and run.

It's pretty slick.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yeah I’m pretty sold on the benefits for sure. I just need to really focus on it to get my head around it. I’m usually pretty quick to pick most things up, but Docker and Github (not Git, necessarily) are both ones that I haven’t been able to figure out with the amount of effort I typically through at new things.

I wonder if there’s a Lynda video for it...

Btw: Your advice lead me to this: https://devcenter.heroku.com/article...ps-restful-api

Now I just need to set up a Linux VM

Last edited by FanIn80; 05-14-2019 at 12:21 PM.