Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #301
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Finland beat Canada twice, and Sweden, and Russia. Only significant loss was the OT loss to US.

That's not one guy getting hot, that's a good team.

They were also protecting the lead most of the third, and would have won without the insurance goal.

BTW IIHF stats say Murray actually had more saves, which probably isn't true, but the game wasn't that one sided. Canada had a ton of shots blocked, especially in the end.
In the last 2 games they gave up 76 shots....and 1 goal.

Today they were outshot 44-22. It was a fire drill the last period...shots were 21-3 Canada.....Finland scored twice.

I mean congrats...the gold is theirs and no one can take that away, but come on with the "better team" thing.

Better goaltender? Absolutely and he is part of the team but that was the only spot in the lineup they were better.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:40 PM   #302
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only titles that matter are those that you win, not those that need to be decided by an argument. Reigning world champions and world junior champions speak for themselves.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #303
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Full credit to the Finns. They earned this.

Its a short tournament and they got great goaltending and scoring support.

Whats not to like?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #304
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finland has 5.5 million people.
They are developing and producing excellent hockey players.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 10:56 PM   #305
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finland is definitely my #2 hockey country and with no Flames and a #### ton of pacific division losers on Team Canada I ended up cheering for Finland even despite not giving them a chance before the Russia game.

I’ve been to the Red Mile for a playoff win (2015, I’m not old) but being around Finns when their team is winning is a whole nother levwl. The game is embedded in their national identity and it is so incredible to see what such a small country can accomplish. What a great tournament.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:04 AM   #306
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
In the last 2 games they gave up 76 shots....and 1 goal.

Today they were outshot 44-22. It was a fire drill the last period...shots were 21-3 Canada.....Finland scored twice.

I mean congrats...the gold is theirs and no one can take that away, but come on with the "better team" thing.

Better goaltender? Absolutely and he is part of the team but that was the only spot in the lineup they were better.
They beat Canada twice with a combined score of 6-2. Canada had a lot of pushback in the third and padded the shot counter but before that they had also slipped up defensively enough times to be down a goal. Canadian defense wasn't anything special.

Let's remember Canada was half a second away from losing to Switzerland too, again despite outshooting the opponent by a wide margin. I don't think that's an accident. Canada looked more dominating than they actually were, in both games.

Canada couldn't get to rebounds all game and had a hard time getting one-timers, redirections or screened shots. Finland scored with one-timers, rebounds and screened shots. Yes that's part luck as always in sports, but I'm not sure if there was a rebound goal scored against Finland in the tournament. That's not just goaltending, that's a good, dedicated defense... And muscle.

Finland had a strong team that skated well, protected their net with fury, played an absolutely relentless in-your-face game and most importantly worked hard, were completely committed to team play and never panicked when it mattered. Those are good, winning qualities, and while Canada had the edge in skill, that's the only area where they had the edge. They weren't faster, they barely matched Finland in physicality, they didn't play as well as a team, they didn't defend as well.

Whats also amazing was that despite their absolute focus and dedication, Finland at the same time played relaxed. There was an interesting comment in the Totally Ice Hockey podcast after the semifinals that on the bench the Canadians look dead serious and extremely stiff, everybody sitting in the exact same position, while the Finns bench looks quite chill and relaxed. That's a big edge, and the kind of thing that tends to make a difference when you have a scoring opportunity.

Yes, Canada was also good. Yes they could have won. Finland however did quite enough to give itself a chance to by doing a lot of things right, before we get to goaltending. It's not like Murray wasn't good too.

Last edited by Itse; 05-27-2019 at 02:07 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #307
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Full credit to the Finns. They earned this.

Its a short tournament and they got great goaltending and scoring support.

Whats not to like?
Good for them...the only issue I had was the guy spouting off that this made them the best hockey nation. Best on best tournaments decide that obviously.

This would be like deciding the best NHL team based on AHL playoffs.

Canada wins the majority of best on best tourney's and until that changes they are #1.

Finland was the best team in this tourney, congrats

Last edited by dino7c; 05-27-2019 at 10:09 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #308
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great party in Helsinki. Finnish hockey association pulled a really classy move and brought on stage the women's team (silver that should have gold), U20 girls team (bronze), and U20 boys team (gold). 2011 there was something like 100k people celebrating. No estimates yet from this year, but let's just say "a lot"

It's been a great spring for Finnish hockey.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #309
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last true “best on best” was over 5 years ago. The Kings aren’t the best team in the NHL anymore. The Finns win the world juniors as often as Canada these days so let them boast.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #310
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't buy this "best on best" tournament stuff. To me, it's an excuse especially considering that NHL players didn't go to the Olympics last year and may not go again. Canadian juniors have also won twice in the last decade, which is not very good. Pulling the whole "we don't care and we are better than everyone else" shtick only works if your team is dominating each year, which is not the case anymore.

The rules of the tournament are simple and all countries are allowed to bring their best players. If Canada decides not to bring their top guys, that doesn't take anything away from Finland or the tournament. Instead, someone in Canada should probably light a fire under some of these guys asses to go to the tournament next year. If the Russians/Americans can make it over there, why can't the Canadians? Or are they just more nationalistic or "don't care for spending time with their families and resting"?

Honestly, if Crosby wants to "rest" during this tournament, he should also want to "rest" during the Olympics.

Last edited by keenan87; 05-27-2019 at 11:17 AM.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #311
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

World cup was far closer to best on best than this...the u-23 novelty team hurt Canada more than it helped them.

If they go to the Olympics next time Canada will be the overwhelming favourite. Finland is much improved but not the "best hockey nation"

World juniors aren't best on best either with guys playing in the NHL

Despite sending average rosters to all these tournaments the IIHF still ranks Canada #1 based on results

Last edited by dino7c; 05-27-2019 at 01:19 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #312
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
World cup was far closer to best on best than this...the u-23 novelty team hurt Canada more than it helped them.

If they go to the Olympics next time Canada will be the overwhelming favourite. Finland is much improved but not the "best hockey nation"

World juniors aren't best on best either with guys playing in the NHL
Well, it was never going to help them, but really, who would have made Team Canada? McDavid, for sure. But The next best Canadian players were Mackinnon and Scheifele and they weren't what they are now. I don't think either was getting on Canada's roster. At the time I wouldn't have bumped any of 2016 versions of Benn, Bergeron, Carter, Crosby, Duchene, Ryan Getzlaf, Giroux, Marchand, Seguin, Stamkos, Tavares, Thornton, and Toews.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #313
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, it was never going to help them, but really, who would have made Team Canada? McDavid, for sure. But The next best Canadian players were Mackinnon and Scheifele and they weren't what they are now. I don't think either was getting on Canada's roster. At the time I wouldn't have bumped any of 2016 versions of Benn, Bergeron, Carter, Crosby, Duchene, Ryan Getzlaf, Giroux, Marchand, Seguin, Stamkos, Tavares, Thornton, and Toews.
Just McDavid...my point was it was as close to best on best. Much closer than anything more recent.

Anyway not taking anything away they won the tourney fair and square...it just doesn't mean they are the best hockey nation. Like I said even the IIHF ranks Canada #1 based on the results of B and C rosters.

Here's hoping we get a tournament featuring The best players in the near future
Old 05-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #314
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Personally, as a Finnish hockey fan, not in a rush.

We have massive gap in top players basically between the Koivu /Selänne generation and the Laine/Aho/Rantanen generation.

The new generation looks like it's going to be fantastic, and there's going to be more Finnish top players than ever before. Three U20 championships in six years and all that. But it will likely take a few years before we have a roster full of fully developed adult players.

Last edited by Itse; 05-27-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #315
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just McDavid...my point was it was as close to best on best. Much closer than anything more recent.

Anyway not taking anything away they won the tourney fair and square...it just doesn't mean they are the best hockey nation. Like I said even the IIHF ranks Canada #1 based on the results of B and C rosters.

Sorry, I misunderstood.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:22 AM   #316
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where's Itse (the Finnish version of Where's Waldo)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1133256081927487488
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #317
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Where's Itse (the Finnish version of Where's Waldo)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1133256081927487488
Not only are they a better hockey nation, but they're better fans too!

BRB moving to Finland
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:24 AM   #318
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The betting line on "best hockey nation" is certainly starting to swing.

I see crowds like those and makes me want to see a true World Cup of Hockey very badly. One with players in mid season form and where the stakes are high.

It will never be soccer because of the number of countries that are competitive, but a legitimate tournament with some best of 3 knockout rounds. Let it take a month to play. Fine by me.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #319
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heh, I was actually just home with the kid.

Here's a great video of the Sunday night immediate post-game celebration.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #320
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

It takes a bit of the sting away to see how genuinely happy people are in Finland over the win. Pretty cool.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote