Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #681
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Cost of doing business. What does she want, for the airport to be torn down and the runways re-laid because she's mildly inconvenienced? NIMBY's at it again.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #682
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another case study in the two airports in a city operation, Edmonton when it had both the City Centre airport and "Leduc International". Needless to say it set the air services back in YEG quite a ways, and YYC benefited from it enormously.

It was the years of commercial operators (airlines) still be allowed to operate into City Centre (with no aircraft capacity limitations) that hurt growth prospects from the international considerably. With hindsight they probably should have just shuttered City Centre to all commercial airlines the minute the international was up and running.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #683
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

SW residents complaining can NEVER take a flight to/from Vancouver, Victoria, Nanaimo, Comox, Cranbrook, Kelowna, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Honolulu, Maui and also probable Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Portland (seasonal), Palm Springs, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Last edited by Bigtime; 05-14-2015 at 10:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #684
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

People in the SW are complaining?

I've lived in the SW my entire life under many different flight corridors and I've never thought anything of the planes.

The Fighter Jets that fly over McMahon go right over my parents house. It's the best thing ever!
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #685
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Considering that arriving aircraft typically fly over head that area at 8000-10000 ft (4400-6400 ft above ground). She should probably just move to Edmonton where crimes against humanity such as this don't occur.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #686
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I could hear arrivals for 17R yesterday from the Hillhurst-Sunnyside community association! I demand changes!
Old 05-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #687
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you don't like where you live because you feel like you are too far away from the airport or you feel like plane noises gets in your way - MOVE!!!
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:18 AM   #688
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I feel like they must have all their windows open 24 hours a day for that level of noise to be a bother. There are days where lots of planes fly right over my place in Canyon Meadows and even with windows open it's never enough to disrupt anything. That lady must be a real light sleeper.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #689
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually like the increased air traffic in the NW. I like using Flight Radar to see where they are arriving from, and the noise (if you can call it that) is never more than a distant hum.

I grew up in Beddington and loved the air traffic, and Tuscany was always a relative dead zone for airplanes. Now I get the occasional flight flying overhead and it is nice. Even if I didn't like planes, if have a hard time placing this on a personal scale of discontentment.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #690
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's frustrating when they straight up lie about how high the planes are. 8,000 in the west downwind when landing south, 7,500 landing north. Somewhat good news is that this is something they could fix if actually needed - just have the planes higher (altitude in green circle) in the west downwind which means they have to fly longer finals and burn more gas, or just move the red circled fixes in the west downwind west a few miles. There's no real argument to be had about noise in the downwind though, that's ridiculous... the planes are still clean with their gear and flaps mostly stowed using low power, hardly any noise compared to what Skyview Ranch and Rundle are dealing with.

Calgary knows nothing of noise, really.

Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #691
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Growing up in Coventry Hills, I found an odd comfort in hearing planes pass by. Once you get used to it, it's kind of just white noise. The lady needs to either suck it up, or move. Simple as that.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #692
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Growing up in Coventry Hills, I found an odd comfort in hearing planes pass by. Once you get used to it, it's kind of just white noise.
Kinda like the gunshots and screams in Forest Lawn and the NE in general.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #693
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Growing up in Coventry Hills, I found an odd comfort in hearing planes pass by. Once you get used to it, it's kind of just white noise. The lady needs to either suck it up, or move. Simple as that.
Or trains passing through for anyone who lived in a town of less than 20k people.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #694
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only time I noticed planes flying overhead was when I golfed at McCall Lake as a kid. Seemed to always be one flying right overhead whenever it was my shot. Totally different situation there though, as the planes were quite low at that point (obviously).
Old 05-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #695
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I first moved to Calgary, I rented a place on Coach Hill and you could regularly hear planes. Are people just noticing now?

Is it like an annoying squeal you don't notice until someone points it out to you, but after that it drives you nuts?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #696
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Then, there’s Mary Nieman, who’s lived in the area since 1992, but said only since the parallel runway opened has she begun to experience constant headaches she believes are caused by the planes.
Its the chemtrails, I tell you!! CHEMTRAILS!!!
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #697
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I grew up in Panorama Hills, and loved to hear the planes on their final to 10 (now it's 11). Since the opening of the parallel runway, I miss the sound, since there's reduced traffic on 11/29
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #698
alexle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

New animation of the International Terminal at YYC.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:02 PM   #699
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting, Security before US Customs in the new terminal. I wonder if it will move better, or make any difference at all?

I've never flown to the States from any other airport. How do most places do it?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #700
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, that video linked to this one too...

Looks good. I didn't know the new terminal was going to get new transportation between the terminals too.

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc