Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2022, 11:37 AM   #2441
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I don't think you need drag racing to burn down the tread. It's several seasons of stuff like this where you might burn down the tread enough that at the 5th year or so, you have to evaluate it vs others waiting till the 8th to 10th year to evaluate due to how little they drive in general.
That's fair. I am probably biased by the relatively reduced distances that I drive certainly.

That being said, doesn't the rubber in tires really start to break down after 5-6 years? I got a little nervous with mine when they were getting to 7+ based solely on age as opposed to a thin tread.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:49 PM   #2442
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
That's fair. I am probably biased by the relatively reduced distances that I drive certainly.

That being said, doesn't the rubber in tires really start to break down after 5-6 years? I got a little nervous with mine when they were getting to 7+ based solely on age as opposed to a thin tread.
I believe you're correct about the rubber hardening around the 5th year or so. This is why it's more important to keep track of the tread on All weathers when you're putting on 2-3x more KM on it per year as well as driving in scenarios where the tread wears down 1.5-2X faster than if solely driven in winter type scenarios.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:25 PM   #2443
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

What’s the tread depth on the other tires?

Once you have a variance of 3/32nds the rotation changes a lot. It’s something like 10 extra feet per km. Depending on your all wheel drive system and your vehicle this can throw a code or put stress on your diff.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:09 PM   #2444
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are so many variables that I think it's impossible to have a general rule of thumb, but I'm hoping to land on two dedicated sets for our highway vehicle/primary kiddo conveyance, and a single set of AWs for the commuter. I've been on the double for both treadmill for a while and it's tiresome given the low mileage we drive.

Has anyone had luck negotiating AWs onto a new car purchase?

An important thing to remember on timing your seasonal swap is that daily high temperatures aren't necessarily the key metric, as the other ~16 hours of the day are cooler. Switching a little early means you're only getting a little extra wear on afternoon kms.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:37 PM   #2445
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've used both all weather and winters and while I prefer the winters the all weather were still a definite improvement over all seasons.

If I lived somewhere where I didn't have room for 2 sets of tires or couldn't swap back and forth for other reasons it's definitely better than running all seasons.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:54 PM   #2446
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

If you're B.C.-bound, bear in mind Saturday was the day winter road rules kicked in across the province to the left of us.
That means a mandatory tire upgrade.

B.C.'s Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure lists four types of tires that are legal on those marked roads during the winter months.
These are studded tires, winter-rated tires, all-weather tires and all-season tires.
The first three tire types are marked with a three-peaked mountain and a snowflake on the sidewall, while all-season tires are marked with an M+S on the sidewall.
The ministry says all four types must have a minimum tread depth of 3.5 mm.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/wi...tans-1.6091885
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:21 PM   #2447
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I buy all-weather tires in the fall and run them for 2 or 3 years depending on wear.

Maximum safe tire age is 7 years regardless of how much tread is left. The date of manufacture is stamped on each tire, in a secret code of course but you can google it.

There was a bit of a scandal a few years ago when someone noticed their tires were already over 2 years old when he bought them.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:29 PM   #2448
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
If you're B.C.-bound, bear in mind Saturday was the day winter road rules kicked in across the province to the left of us.
That means a mandatory tire upgrade.

B.C.'s Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure lists four types of tires that are legal on those marked roads during the winter months.
These are studded tires, winter-rated tires, all-weather tires and all-season tires.
The first three tire types are marked with a three-peaked mountain and a snowflake on the sidewall, while all-season tires are marked with an M+S on the sidewall.
The ministry says all four types must have a minimum tread depth of 3.5 mm.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/wi...tans-1.6091885
Did they back off their rules lately? I thought M+S didn’t make the cut because they are just an all season tire.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:36 PM   #2449
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Did they back off their rules lately? I thought M+S didn’t make the cut because they are just an all season tire.
I was wondering the same thing cause the only tire not allowed is a summer tire. It’s a good reminder for people to have at least the M+S, we should do that in Alberta too. Our roads get snow covered and slick and there’s a lot of cars in the ditch on the QEII when there’s a storm or even bad weather.

Last edited by Macman; 10-03-2022 at 09:46 PM.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:55 PM   #2450
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
I buy all-weather tires in the fall and run them for 2 or 3 years depending on wear.

Maximum safe tire age is 7 years regardless of how much tread is left. The date of manufacture is stamped on each tire, in a secret code of course but you can google it.

There was a bit of a scandal a few years ago when someone noticed their tires were already over 2 years old when he bought them.
7 yrs could be pretty conservative, especially in our cool climate

https://www.hagerty.com/media/mainte...hem-correctly/

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintena...our-tires.html

Quote:
Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year.

Heat: NHTSA research has found that tires age more quickly in warmer climates. NHTSA also found that environmental conditions, such as exposure to sunlight and coastal climates, can hasten the aging process. People who live in coastal states and other areas with warm weather should keep this in mind when deciding whether they should retire a tire.

Storage: This applies to spare tires and tires that are sitting in a garage or shop. A tire that has not been mounted and is just sitting in a tire shop or your garage will age more slowly than one that has been put into service on a car. But it ages nonetheless.
So if the vehicle is mostly parked in a garage and tires are stored appropriately when not used then 10 years isn't unreasonable. Obviously in those latter years you'd want to keep a close eye on them. Chances are you're not driving tons of mileage (ie. highway speeds) if you've still got tread approaching a decade on.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 10:07 PM   #2451
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
7 yrs could be pretty conservative, especially in our cool climate

https://www.hagerty.com/media/mainte...hem-correctly/

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintena...our-tires.html

So if the vehicle is mostly parked in a garage and tires are stored appropriately when not used then 10 years isn't unreasonable. Obviously in those latter years you'd want to keep a close eye on them. Chances are you're not driving tons of mileage (ie. highway speeds) if you've still got tread approaching a decade on.
Interesting, so keep your tires stored vertically? Not stacked eh?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #2452
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If they changed it is not a recent change. I recall checking into this when we had hockey tournaments in BC with the kids and that was at least 7 years ago. M+S made the cut back then.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:01 AM   #2453
DigitalCarpenter
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I've had my current set of Hakka's for 12 years. I built a storage rack for them in the back shed (vertical storage!) and never ran them in the summer. Still a usable (sorta) amount of tread on them and I don't see any cracks in the sidewalls. I know they felt like all seasons in the snow the last couple of winters. Of course it helps I only drove around only 6000 KMs during the lock down year so that probably added a couple of years of usage.

If you go by mileage my car is at 175k so I am probably around 80k usage on the Hakkas.

Just pulled the trigger on the new Hakka R5's. Getting them put on the winter rims Tomorrow. I'll swap them on closer to November.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:10 AM   #2454
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently. I'm guilty of stacking...one year I think I even threw plywood over the 8 and used it as a shelf!
Old 10-04-2022, 10:23 AM   #2455
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Unless they're mounted.

Quote:
Tires mounted on rims? Stacking is actually preferable in this case.
https://www.continental-tires.com/ca.../storing-tires
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 02:27 PM   #2456
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Nokkian All-Weather tires are just winter tires with a decent tread wear plus marketing.

Running winters all summer is fine, and far preferable to running summers all winter.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:19 PM   #2457
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

And if you drive in BC you're going to need your winters on 7 months of the year anyway so what's the point of owning summers?
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:39 PM   #2458
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
And if you drive in BC you're going to need your winters on 7 months of the year anyway so what's the point of owning summers?
Not destroying your winters?
Old 10-04-2022, 04:58 PM   #2459
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Very few people actually own real summer tires(performance vehicles are the typical exception). The BC "restrictions" in the winter allow for all season and all weather.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...t-winter-tires
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:02 PM   #2460
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Very few people actually own real summer tires(performance vehicles are the typical exception). The BC "restrictions" in the winter allow for all season and all weather.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...t-winter-tires
All seasons don't typically have the m+s symbols or the mountains with snowflakes. All seasons are usually good for Vancouver and V island though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote