Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-03-2022, 05:51 PM   #141
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Not exactly a ringing endorsement. But a stopped clock...

If Zohorna can play his size and bring more physicality he could be a real asset.
What other acquisitions were on his advice?
Old 10-03-2022, 05:51 PM   #142
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Beast View Post
Fully expect Pittsburgh to claim one of our defense men next week as a thank you....
If they claim Valimaki, I will not be upset about it
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 05:56 PM   #143
Gemnoble
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Beast View Post
Fully expect Pittsburgh to claim one of our defense men next week as a thank you....
Alas, the Hockey Gods make all things equal in the end.
Gemnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:56 PM   #144
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Big = Good.
Zahorna = Big.
Good = Big.

Am I doing this right?
Goodbigzahorna. Will look good on a flames jersey.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:59 PM   #145
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
What other acquisitions were on his advice?
Conroy said Pleau is their scout responsible for covering the Penguins (or he is based out of Pittsburgh), so perhaps he had a hand in Dominik Simon?
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:24 PM   #146
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Macfarlane View Post
My eyes in Pittsburgh says Zohorna was one of the most improved players in camp. He got stronger and played more physically this year and that the Penguins might regret losing him. He was filling in for Jeff Carter as their third-line centre when he was waived - they wanted the flexibility to send him down and thought they'd sneak him through.

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...s-nhl-waivers/
You always here that at this time of year, but seriously, how could ANY player sneak through these days with the amount of staff any given NHL team employs?? I'm thinking any player that clears waivers now days isn't because Brad Treliving or Steve Yzerman said "oh ####!, we didn't even notice him on waivers, what the hell?!", it's because nobody wanted him. And IF a player did sneak through, there should be some execs and/or scouting staff losing jobs... or am I missing something here, lol?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:25 PM   #147
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don't mess with the Zohorna
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlatLandFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 06:31 PM   #148
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
You always here that at this time of year, but seriously, how could ANY player sneak through these days with the amount of staff any given NHL team employs?? I'm thinking any player that clears waivers now days isn't because Brad Treliving or Steve Yzerman said "oh ####!, we didn't even notice him on waivers, what the hell?!", it's because nobody wanted him. And IF a player did sneak through, there should be some execs and/or scouting staff losing jobs... or am I missing something here, lol?
It's because teams rosters are usually pretty set as we get close to the beginning of the season and teams aren't battling the injury bug to hard because the season hasn't actually started yet.

When the Flames lost Paul Byron to Montreal way back in the day, he would never have been claimed in the first place if Zack Kassian hadn't been placed in the league's substance abuse program following a late night car crash.

Not because Paul Byron wasn't a good player or couldn't play in the NHL, but because the Habs would have had a full roster at that point, and when they lost Kassian they had a spot open up.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:44 PM   #149
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I don't know if "sneak" is the right word, but I think there is a strategy sometimes to try and time it so that you put guys on waivers at the same other similar or better players are going on and just hope they get lost in the mix. You kind of gamble that other players will be more tempting and that teams aren't going to make multiple claims in one day.

Flames may lose someone this year as well though. I personally just hope it isn't Ruzicka.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:06 PM   #150
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there is 3 parts to this claim:

1) Flames were obviously looking at him and had a bit of a book on him.

2) This shouldn't have been possible if not for the (supposed) internal competition for that top 9 spot to return an 'error' message. Seriously, nobody took it. Nobody in this organization claimed that spot. It was wide-open, and I didn't see a single player claim it. I mean, in my mind it was Ruzicka's to lose, but even he didn't really claim it, but you bet your house he won't be waived - he will not pass through waivers either.

3) Pittsburgh tried to 'sneak' him through waivers too early. Players you think are at risk for being claimed are usually put on waivers on the last day before teams have to set their rosters for the year. That's when the majority of players sneak across. Pittsburgh screwed up here.

I am happy that the Flames got him. There is zero to complain about. For those that think that Sutter will overplay him undeservedly, keep in mind that Sutter didn't give much time to another 6'6" who skated well and had pretty good numbers in the AHL as well (Buddy Robinson). Sutter plays guys that help him win, period. Buddy didn't, but hopefully Zohorna does.

At minimum, this is a direct shot at Phillips, Zary, Pelletier, Schwindt, Jones, Duehr, and even Milano and Ruzicka who didn't grab a spot. None of these players claimed a spot. None. Zary was the closest though. Pettersen was having a good camp until he got hurt, so I won't throw an egg his way - ditto for Pospisil. For everyone else, they just have to look themselves in the mirror as to why the Flames decided they had the room to bother to claim Zohorna and give him the opportunity to claim a roster spot.

I would have bet my house that the top 9 spot was visibly and definitively claimed by at least one prospect, with others taking a step. Now I am pumped about the new guy. I don't care if it is Flames picks, PTOs, FA signings or waiver claims - I want the best players to make the team, and I hope Zohorna bats this out of the park.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 07:13 PM   #151
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

A quick glance through the available YouTube highlights tells me if this guy has improved, there's a high ceiling here. Let's see how it plays out.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:24 AM   #152
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zohorna seems to have some skill, but he's built like a stick. We'll have to see him play some more.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:57 AM   #153
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I guess Pittsburgh aren't the only ones being mad about the claim.

Just saw this headline on youtube from the no goods. cannot imbed.

"Will Oilers CLAIM Radim Zohorna Off Waivers? Pittsburgh Penguins/Edmonton Oilers Waiver News Today"

Way to go Tre!
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 03:33 PM   #154
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bumped for properly spelled and capitalized surname ...
Old 10-04-2022, 04:47 PM   #155
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers can't pick up anybody because they mismanaged their cap
Old 10-04-2022, 06:44 PM   #156
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Steinberg said on 960 that it is his understanding that Zohorna is with the team in Winnipeg.

Good chance we see him play tomorrow.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #157
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Oilers can't pick up anybody because they mismanaged their cap
They can't even afford to put Holloway on their roster unless they waive someone, trade a player for a non-roster return, or run with a 20 man roster.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:12 PM   #158
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
They can't even afford to put Holloway on their roster unless they waive someone, trade a player for a non-roster return, or run with a 20 man roster.

They can always waive Puucan'tspellhisname since his value on the trade market is less than zero.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:15 PM   #159
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Steinberg said on 960 that it is his understanding that Zohorna is with the team in Winnipeg.

Good chance we see him play tomorrow.
I'll be at the game tomorrow. 4 rows up behind the Flames goalie for two of three periods. It would be neat to see him with the team.

Also, I kind've feel like wearing my Tkachuk jersey with a 'Zito' badge taped over the name
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cycling76er For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 06:26 AM   #160
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
So looking at the Flames' cap space, with the addition of Zohorna...

23 man roster that includes Zohorna, Ruzicka and Ritchie, and removing Valimaki and replacing with Mackey, leaves us with:

$1,375,000

With Kylington gone, add Stone at $750,000 and we are at $625,000 for now.

If they want to really bank some space, they can waive one of the forwards (Ritchie, Rooney, Ruzicka) and run with a 22 man roster.

I thought we had to be cap compliant by the start (can’t throw on LTIRs until after the cap compliance date).