Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2022, 09:59 AM   #261
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Which is fine.

But honestly don't act like you gave those guys all the opportunity in the world, and they somehow didn't take it.

Personally just not a fan of this approach of how they split up the games in camp with veterans on home games against below AHL quality lineups, and sending below AHL quality lineups to play NHL lineups on the road.

I don't think that you actually gave those guys a fair chance to really earn a spot in that scenario. At the very least I think guys like Schwindt, Zary, and Phillips probably showed enough to get a game with some vets out of the next three.
Yeah as I said earlier I just don't see the map to success.

You're up against NHLers every night without NHLers to help you. I get it ... if a guy dominates in that situation he stands out and gets a huge look, but how likely is that?

We're not asking these guys to be stars, just better than 4th line veteran options battling for a third line role.

Having said that ... Zary did more than the others to show he's ready, but it's not his time with his age, his injury last year, and his position. Ruzicka was given lots of rope and whiffed. Pelletier couldn't generate anything even in Pentiction against teams with walks ons. I thought Phillips was closer to Zary in consistency and likely deserved more of a look.

Milano was given similar opportunities as Zary and Dube, and was way behind both players in my opinion.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 09:59 AM   #262
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Which is fine.

But honestly don't act like you gave those guys all the opportunity in the world, and they somehow didn't take it.

Personally just not a fan of this approach of how they split up the games in camp with veterans on home games against below AHL quality lineups, and sending below AHL quality lineups to play NHL lineups on the road.

I don't think that you actually gave those guys a fair chance to really earn a spot in that scenario. At the very least I think guys like Schwindt, Zary, and Phillips probably showed enough to get a game with some vets out of the next three.
Sutter definitely has a notion about the development arc of a young player - he said that almost verbatim in the clip. It’s hard to argue given his record. I think he figures he gets a better player at the end of the day.

Edit: he also mentioned that he and the staff look at completely different things than fans and media. So I’m guessing positioning, attention to detail and applying what coaches are asking for. Which may or may not look like anything to casual observers or even hardcore fans who pay attention to goal scoring plays.

Last edited by GioforPM; 10-03-2022 at 10:02 AM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 10:06 AM   #263
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's going to be very interesting to see how Treliving responds to this camp. To be fair, he's been saying since the summer and continued to say during camp that they were still looking for a winger, so they must have had some idea that the options they had were longshots in a sense.

Perhaps the market is tough right now and they are thinking of seeing how the team does while collecting some cap space for a trade down the road.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #264
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
By Sutters comments, it sounds like he put Dube on the line by default because he trusts him over the others guys who haven't been given a chance.
Do you think this is Sutter's message to Dube? I can guarantee to you that it is not. I love the way Sutter uses the media—he does so to send messages to specific players, and these messages are always different from what he is communicating to other players in camp. I am certain that Sutter has given Dube reason to believe that he has earned his way on to the second line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #265
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really have issues with decisions made in training camp. I doubt that development of players has been stalled or that NHL ready players are being buried. I guess time will tell on that front.

But I am slightly concerned that this club doesn't have a draft pick after 2016 knocking on the door to make a serious impact on the roster. The 2015 and 2016 draft classes were incredible and helped build the current roster. But if you don't continuously have success in the draft it seems like it will catch up with you eventually.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:15 AM   #266
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't really have issues with decisions made in training camp. I doubt that development of players has been stalled or that NHL ready players are being buried. I guess time will tell on that front.

But I am slightly concerned that this club doesn't have a draft pick after 2016 knocking on the door to make a serious impact on the roster. The 2015 and 2016 draft classes were incredible and helped build the current roster. But if you don't continuously have success in the draft it seems like it will catch up with you eventually.
This is a bit of a concern, but good performances at training camp are not the only way to get onto the NHL roster. Pelletier looked ready last year. Zary looks ready now. My bet is that they will both get NHL games this season, and just like Mangiapane, if they make a strong impression they will be on the team.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 10:17 AM   #267
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
It's going to be very interesting to see how Treliving responds to this camp. To be fair, he's been saying since the summer and continued to say during camp that they were still looking for a winger, so they must have had some idea that the options they had were longshots in a sense.

Perhaps the market is tough right now and they are thinking of seeing how the team does while collecting some cap space for a trade down the road.
I just don't think it makes any sense to make a trade during camp. Teams will all need time to settle in once the season starts. If Treliving is going to add a winger, I would guess it will not happen for several weeks yet.

Quote:
Old 10-03-2022, 10:19 AM   #268
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Seasons and players aren't made or broken in Preseason.

Let's just pump the brakes a little bit here with the handwringing.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:16 AM   #269
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is a bit of a concern, but good performances at training camp are not the only way to get onto the NHL roster. Pelletier looked ready last year. Zary looks ready now. My bet is that they will both get NHL games this season, and just like Mangiapane, if they make a strong impression they will be on the team.
And Coronato looks good too.

We could easily see all 3 on the team next year. Hardly a reason to be concerned.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #270
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Totally agree. I’m just kind of the mind that until it happens, it hasn’t happened. If we’re still talking about this a year from now, it gets to be a bigger deal.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:17 PM   #271
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Totally agree. I’m just kind of the mind that until it happens, it hasn’t happened. If we’re still talking about this a year from now, it gets to be a bigger deal.
Well, we might not see Pelletier all year, due to our depth. Using the lines being discussed in the other threads:

Zohorna - Backlund - Coleman
Lucic - Rooney - Lewis
Ritchie, Ruzicka

Plus, they'll have cap space to pick up a winger at the deadline.

Based on that, it is entirely possible that they don't get down to Pelletier on the depth chart all year (hopefully, because we don't want injuries)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote