Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2022, 09:01 PM   #41
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
What's the average age of this forum? 50?
My kids are nearing 50 and they are starting to think they know more than I do, just like they did in the 80's.

Edit: and now they usually do!

Last edited by Geraldsh; 10-01-2022 at 09:02 PM. Reason: add on
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 09:25 PM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
My kids are nearing 50 and they are starting to think they know more than I do, just like they did in the 80's.

Edit: and now they usually do!
Are you the Cryptkeeper??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:27 AM   #43
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

A generation that grew up on Iphones, algorithms and instant gratification is going to have issues. They were effectively guinea pigs for Web 2.0. Kids today are never bored and being bored is actually good for you.

That said, they are so much smarter and extremely resourceful. My kid was having issues with a video game on his PC and asked me to help him (again, sigh) and when we went through troubleshooting he had already done all the things I would have done, gone to the internet, tried all the fixes etc...
Old 10-03-2022, 04:44 PM   #44
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/03/u...-petition.html

Quote:
In the field of organic chemistry, Maitland Jones Jr. has a storied reputation. He taught the subject for decades, first at Princeton and then at New York University, and wrote an influential textbook. He received awards for his teaching, as well as recognition as one of N.Y.U.’s coolest professors.

But last spring, as the campus emerged from pandemic restrictions, 82 of his 350 students signed a petition against him.

Students said the high-stakes course — notorious for ending many a dream of medical school — was too hard, blaming Dr. Jones for their poor test scores.

The professor defended his standards. But just before the start of the fall semester, university deans terminated Dr. Jones’s contract.
I'm just gonna leave this here...
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:26 PM   #45
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Seems like a good area to have high standards.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #46
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, they’re more lazy then they’ve ever been.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...801227582.html.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 10-04-2022 at 01:18 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:53 PM   #47
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Well, they’re more lazy then they’ve ever been.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...801227582.html.
I wonder how the general user here would score on this report card?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:59 PM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should try 'Quiet Quitting' their whining!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:07 PM   #49
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, people over 50 are the worst. I have a blanket discrimination against any old fogey who owns a home they bought for $90,000 back in 1982 and complains about how easy young people have it today.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:10 PM   #50
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

My PILs bought their home in 1977 for $30K.

My parents bought their home around 1987 for $90K. Catch: 23% interest rate on mortgage.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:12 PM   #51
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post

My parents bought their home around 1987 for $90K. Catch: 23% interest rate on mortgage.
Probably took them half a year to save for the down payment and they have reaped some massive equity benefits in the time since.

It's not comparable to what is going on today.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:31 PM   #52
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm assuming you're joking about the 23% interest rate in 1987, unless they were borrowing from a loan shark. But just to put some numbers into that to compare to today using the prevailing interest rates at the time:

$30K in 1977 = $135K today = $1,085 mortgage in 2022 dollars (w/ 10% down)

$90K in 1987 = $199K today = $1,765 mortgage in 2022 dollars (w/ 10% down)

With a 3.5% mortgage, the equivalent house prices based on those mortgage amounts would be and $240K and $390K respectively (again, assuming 10% down). So pretty affordable, assuming those houses were anywhere near an urban area.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:32 PM   #53
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Probably took them half a year to save for the down payment and they have reaped some massive equity benefits in the time since.

It's not comparable to what is going on today.
Nah. Dad lost his job in 91. Sold house for not much more. Finally bought again in California in 08 right after the financial crisis. Still cost $800K.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:34 PM   #54
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I'm assuming you're joking about the 23% interest rate in 1987, unless they were borrowing from a loan shark. But just to put some numbers into that to compare to today using the prevailing interest rates at the time:

With a 3.5% mortgage, the equivalent house prices based on those mortgage amounts would be and $240K and $390K respectively (again, assuming 10% down). So pretty affordable, assuming those houses were anywhere near an urban area.
Maybe 18.5%? It was really high. They didn't qualify for the gov't interest relief program.

I don't even know what your numbers are supposed to represent, they're totally irrelevant.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:48 PM   #55
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post

On top of that you were getting a massive return on any investments you had. If you saved up a 20% downpayment in 1977, within a few years (assuming saving an additional $5k or so a year), you probably had a 50% downpayment.

Today, you save 20%, and that becomes a 10% downpayment in 5 years, as the rising prices far outpace anyone's ability to save or earn investment income.

The lawyer, I used to work with, used his first pay cheque as the downpayment for the strip mall where his office is currently located....nowadays new entires into the workforce are probably using at least half their pay cheque for rent.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 02:59 PM   #56
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe 18.5%? It was really high. They didn't qualify for the gov't interest relief program.
In 1987? Interest rates were 10.5-11.5% then (lower if variable).

Quote:
I don't even know what your numbers are supposed to represent, they're totally irrelevant.
Affordability vs. today. If you want to talk about irrelevant, start with numbers using 1977 or 1987 dollars and fictional interest rates.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:00 PM   #57
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Man, people over 50 are the worst. I have a blanket discrimination against any old fogey who owns a home they bought for $90,000 back in 1982 and complains about how easy young people have it today.
A 50 year old would have been 10 in 1982. People over 60 are the worst
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:26 PM   #58
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
A 50 year old would have been 10 in 1982. People over 60 are the worst
People who are 50 years old are squarely gen Xers. They caught the tail end of the good times the boomers had, but nothing like what the boomers actually received. Many of them also graduated directly into a major recession and a saturated work force.

In my dealings with many Gen Xers, I've found it's crazy how many still maintain that angsty edgy teenage attitude throughout their entire adulthood.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 03:34 PM   #59
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
People who are 50 years old are squarely gen Xers. They caught the tail end of the good times the boomers had, but nothing like what the boomers actually received. Many of them also graduated directly into a major recession and a saturated work force.

In my dealings with many Gen Xers, I've found it's crazy how many still maintain that angsty edgy teenage attitude throughout their entire adulthood.
That's wild. My coworker and I were just talking about how smooth all of our dealings are now that Gen Xers are in the decision-making roles at companies. So much easier than 10/15 years ago when it was the boomers who were overcomplicating everything and always trying to do little power moves to let you know they were a top dog.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:39 PM   #60
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That's wild. My coworker and I were just talking about how smooth all of our dealings are now that Gen Xers are in the decision-making roles at companies. So much easier than 10/15 years ago when it was the boomers who were overcomplicating everything and always trying to do little power moves to let you know they were a top dog.
I would state there two types of Gen Xers that I deal with. The domesticated ones, who entered the corporate structure and the business world. This type tends to be, as you say, very easy to deal with. Although you do have to watch them, as many inherited a very cut throat tendency towards co-workers (who in my mind should be allies). They had to fight to get into an over-saturated job market, and many stayed there by screwing over co-workers.

In my other post, I was more referring to the Gen Xers outside of the business world. These people landed into the job market during the recession. Many are still, like I said, very edgy. I wouldn't say they power trip in any way though. More just ongoing juvenile behaviour.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good