Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2022, 11:29 PM   #41
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Ok some actual recommendations for you Sliver -

Pachamama Soul - just down the road from you by the Arby's. Vegan place with a cool hippie hangout kind of vibe. Food itself might be on the expensive side but they can just get coffee and pastries.

Cornerstone Music Cafe - Small place that doubles as a music lesson business in the back in Deer Ridge. In the summer they sometimes have live music out front. In both this place and Pachamama a lot of the menu just depends on what the owners/staff have decided to make that day. I like that kind of laidback vibe.

Maybe Cafe Jindo by the London Drugs on Heritage? I've only been once so can't recommend it too much.

For chains, I like the Second Cup in Braeside. Lots of people just hanging out there. Likewise Good Earth at Glenmore Landing, though I don't care for their offerings. It's a nice hangout spot if they can find seating upstairs. Also a patio if weather is nice.

The Railway Cafe at Heritage Park isn't a hangout spot at all however they could order from there and sit in the plaza or by the marina. Park for free by the marina or down by the big H.

And obviously way further afield but while I'm talking favourite coffee hangouts, I'll throw out a mention for Cinnamon Spoon in Bragg Creek if they ever decide to go for a little day trip.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2022, 11:40 PM   #42
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Also not big into bubble tea but Black Pearl by the Save on Foods has always felt like a teenage hangout spot any time I've popped in there.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:51 AM   #43
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some solid recommendations for places like Glenmore Landing Good Earth. You have the bike path and the water right there as well to hang out, snap some selfies and videos etc.

I do think part of the problem is that a lot of youth just kind of entertain themselves wherever with their phones, youtube and Tik Tok videos. It isn't the same.

I am 37 and we would hang out at the Reservoir parking lot, different coffee shops, Boston Pizza and a whole host of other places. Hell, the boys would LOVE to cruise around, listening to music, see different parts of the city, try to pick up some girls. I really don't see cars full of teenagers anymore, it's perplexing to me. That was literally a thing for generations.

Either way, good luck
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:10 AM   #44
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems it would be tough to manufacture a hangout for your kids. We spent most of those years hanging out at whoever had a pool table in the basement with parents who mostly left us alone.

We spent a little bit of time at parks and malls, but don't remember hanging out at coffee shops that age. It would seem un-appealing to high schoolers to hang out at a random coffee shop unless they were running into people they know. If one of the kids or friends got a job at some place fun to hang out, then I could see it becoming a more organic place to hang out.

Currently my kids are around that age and their hang outs center around their activities. ie, the golf course, pool, gym, bike riding trails, etc.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:39 AM   #45
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
In the NW - my son started working at Euphoria Cafe. Funky place.

https://euphoriacafe.ca/
I didn't know that this place was still open.
Great food.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:42 AM   #46
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Ok some actual recommendations for you Sliver -

Pachamama Soul - just down the road from you by the Arby's. Vegan place with a cool hippie hangout kind of vibe. Food itself might be on the expensive side but they can just get coffee and pastries.

Cornerstone Music Cafe - Small place that doubles as a music lesson business in the back in Deer Ridge. In the summer they sometimes have live music out front. In both this place and Pachamama a lot of the menu just depends on what the owners/staff have decided to make that day. I like that kind of laidback vibe.

Maybe Cafe Jindo by the London Drugs on Heritage? I've only been once so can't recommend it too much.

For chains, I like the Second Cup in Braeside. Lots of people just hanging out there. Likewise Good Earth at Glenmore Landing, though I don't care for their offerings. It's a nice hangout spot if they can find seating upstairs. Also a patio if weather is nice.

The Railway Cafe at Heritage Park isn't a hangout spot at all however they could order from there and sit in the plaza or by the marina. Park for free by the marina or down by the big H.

And obviously way further afield but while I'm talking favourite coffee hangouts, I'll throw out a mention for Cinnamon Spoon in Bragg Creek if they ever decide to go for a little day trip.
Oh man, awesome, Swift. Thanks so much! We'll make it a fun thing to work through these. I'll assign them the task of checking them out and rating them for me and they'll hit 'em all. So stoked on this...I owe you one.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 08:20 AM   #47
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Les Moulins La Fayette on Blackfoot? Little bit of a different vibe but seemed like a decent place to hang out for an hour.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #48
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Send them to a rec centre or something, shoot some hoops, go for a swim and lift some weights.
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:51 AM   #49
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-soprano View Post
Send them to a rec centre or something, shoot some hoops, go for a swim and lift some weights.
OMG, they both have passes at Trico and are there working out everyday.

Guys...I wasn't looking for tips and tricks on how to raise kids. Was looking for suggestions on local coffee shops. WTF is with this train wreck of a thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 08:54 AM   #50
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Oh man, awesome, Swift. Thanks so much! We'll make it a fun thing to work through these. I'll assign them the task of checking them out and rating them for me and they'll hit 'em all. So stoked on this...I owe you one.
Hopefully they're rating them on Google...
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 08:55 AM   #51
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Hopefully they're rating them on Google...
Hopefully. We follow the golden rule on that, though.

Five stars or keep your mouth shut.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:55 AM   #52
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Guys...I wasn't looking for tips and tricks on how to raise kids. Was looking for suggestions on local coffee shops. WTF is with this train wreck of a thread.
Have you considered sending them to join the army?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 09:24 AM   #53
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I understood from the start. You’re trying to get them addicted to coffee so they’re all hopped up on caffeine and gung-ho for hand digging the bunker when they get back. Smart, very smart!
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 09:31 AM   #54
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when I was young and would do six things in a day.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:16 AM   #55
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

So Sliver’s kid is Tweek from South Park? Cool.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:23 AM   #56
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I didn't know that this place was still open.
Great food.
The moved from that strip mall (which is looking more run down than ever) and they are now located in the base of the newer condo building just to the east. it is brighter inside but still has a good vibe.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:27 AM   #57
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If they're open to going further afield, Socality House on 17th Ave SW has a great vibe and a really nice outdoor space.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:27 AM   #58
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry Sliver, I just don't get wanting the kids to go loiter around somewhere. The last thing I want to deal with when I patronize a business are a group of kids just hanging around.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 09-12-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:29 AM   #59
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Macman; 09-12-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:38 AM   #60
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I remember when I was young and would do six things in a day.
And when you went out with friends it would never end. No matter how late it got or if someone left, you'd always have that friend with energy reserves that would never deplete asking where you're going next.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote