Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #21
b1crunch
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You can't go wrong with Ecobee. They are almost universally considered the best smart thermostats. Very simple and they work.
I'd second the Ecobee. I have one and it's been wonderful. We control is with Alexa, plus the phone app.
b1crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:38 AM   #22
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just added AC to our house 2 days ago and I'm also looking for a smart thermostat to add to the system.
Good timing on the thread!

Prior to that, we had the smart thermostat that Telus gives with their home security packages and it worked well but it won't work with AC added, we had to pull more wires.

OP; if you're just running heating, I think most of the smart thermostats will work with the wiring your have there already, but I'm no expert.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:55 PM   #23
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

NDP paid for mine

Its nice to be able to turn down the temp from upstairs in bed or make sure things aren't getting out of hand with heat or AC wise when the kids are home alone with grandma

other than that it seemed kinda wasteful to replace my perfectly good thermostat
Old 09-14-2022, 09:52 PM   #24
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
NDP paid for mine

Its nice to be able to turn down the temp from upstairs in bed or make sure things aren't getting out of hand with heat or AC wise when the kids are home alone with grandma

other than that it seemed kinda wasteful to replace my perfectly good thermostat
So why did you do it if it was wasteful?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 10:57 PM   #25
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So why did you do it if it was wasteful?
I mentioned a couple advantages in my post...its also not the first time I did something and in hindsight questioned if it was necessary or not

black friday deal plus a rebate that covered the whole thing...the redflagdealer in me couldn't resist
Old 09-15-2022, 07:37 AM   #26
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah the ability to change the temp from anywhere on my phone is too good to pass up, sure I like a good ol analogue t-stat for their simplicity but I don't think I could change.

Just be wary when the utility company starts offering them.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/5/23...orado-heatwave
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:50 PM   #27
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely go EcoBee over the nest.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:24 PM   #28
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You can't go wrong with Ecobee. They are almost universally considered the best smart thermostats. Very simple and they work.

And they're a Canadian company to boot.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:55 PM   #29
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What have folks paid for the Ecobee and installation? I’m considering removing my Nest thermostat.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:31 PM   #30
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
What have folks paid for the Ecobee and installation? I’m considering removing my Nest thermostat.
If you already have a Nest, odds are your installation will be super simple. Ecobee does a great job of guiding you through it. Can't remember if the app just guides you through the steps, or it kicks you to a video. The hardware is all very clearly labeled and requires no tools besides the screws that hold it in the wall.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2022, 06:24 AM   #31
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

As Bill said, installation should be fairly simple as your wiring must include the 24V common wire to power the nest. Ecobee includes labels to put on the wires to make things easier for installation. If you are like me and have a kid in the basement you may want to get a smart sensor as well as it will help keep the basement from getting uncomfortably cold in the winter. Also doubles as a motion sensor if you have homekit.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2022, 07:49 PM   #32
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have an Ecobee and am really happy with it. I think it's the best choice and keeps you out of the big company ecosystems.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:18 PM   #33
b1crunch
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
I forget what I paid, but I got the top Ecobee for less than the Nest at the time from Home Depot. It was on sale at the time. I'd watch for sales.

I installed the Ecobee myself. It was easy with their guides.
b1crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:49 PM   #34
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The proper answer is: It depends, but likely it'll be relatively easy for you to do yourself. I think the units are around $250-400 right now because stupid covid pricing. It used to be $200-250.

If you have a common wire hooked up to the Nest, ultra simple. Just DIY it, take a pic of the wire configuration labels, then hook them up to the corresponding one on the Ecobee. But... contrary to the name, a common wire isn't always common. If you have to pull a wire bundle, it's a pain and it's kinda costly.

If you are missing the common wire, this is where the complexity comes in.

Option 1: Pay someone to pull a wire bundle and get them to hook it up to the Nest. The extra wires are useful in the future for upgrades like AC units, smart humidifiers etc. Once the wires are pulled, it's dirty easy. Get them to do it for a nominal fee, or just do it yourself from that point on.

Option 2: Acquire a power extender kit to power the Ecobee rather than pull a wire bundle (DIY). Depending on outlet locations, it might look a little odd.

IIRC, both Nest and Ecobee have really good guides on their apps for installation. Also, consider selling your Nest for whatever you can get and make up the difference? $50 is $50 and some people with the Ecobee lite or Nest lite might jump on the chance for additional features.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 06:50 AM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It kind of grinds my gears that some houses build only a few decades ago or less didn't have the common wire pulled to the thermostat. The cost of a 3rd wire in the bundle is negligible and it's disappointing that so many house builders do the bare minimum required.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:29 PM   #36
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

This thread prompted me to poke around the furnace, and wouldn't it be so cool if someone offered a service where they show you how everything goddamn works and what you're supposed to do.

I just discovered the mystery light switch on the ceiling in the furnace room shuts the furnace off. And yet there's another switch that appears to do nothing,. There's a blue contraption with a light bulb that appears to be burned out, I'm assuming that's a UV light. And I don't think anybody has ever changed the humidifier filter, I don't even know if the humidifier is working? Wires everywhere, some spliced. What a rat's nest. Wow

At least I've been changing the filter every month!

I lived in condos all my life before this.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:42 PM   #37
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am using a FastStat Common Maker (https://www.fast-stat.com/) for my Ecobee since my setup doesn't have a common wire.

There is even documentation about this on the Ecobee site. https://support.ecobee.com/s/article...t-only-systems
Old 09-27-2022, 09:02 PM   #38
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
This thread prompted me to poke around the furnace, and wouldn't it be so cool if someone offered a service where they show you how everything goddamn works and what you're supposed to do.

I just discovered the mystery light switch on the ceiling in the furnace room shuts the furnace off. And yet there's another switch that appears to do nothing,. There's a blue contraption with a light bulb that appears to be burned out, I'm assuming that's a UV light. And I don't think anybody has ever changed the humidifier filter, I don't even know if the humidifier is working? Wires everywhere, some spliced. What a rat's nest. Wow

At least I've been changing the filter every month!

I lived in condos all my life before this.
Ha. welcome to home ownership. Lol
Humidifier filter should be changed start of every season. You only operate humidifier with heat cycle of furnace. Although AB winters are dry, take care in keeping it low enough to not get condensation on windows. The colder it is outside, the lower the humidity needs to be to avoid condensation on windows.
Good luck, and don't #### it up!
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 09:11 PM   #39
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

And if you don't have a water softener have fun with the mineral deposits on the humidifier filter.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 09:14 PM   #40
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

And again, I'll put a shout out for the Wyze thermo. Comes with c-wire adapter and wall cover plate (if you need either/both). I have no idea what they are worth in Canada but can pick up for less than $70 here in US. Really happy with them.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote