Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2022, 07:49 AM   #241
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Just got caught up on the latest episode. Excellent stuff. I’m kind of over the lore issues with the show, it’s not canon anyway so I’m just enjoying it for what it is.

I just take the position that there is no canon for Middle Earth except maybe for what is in the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings since Tolkien kept changing things and contradicting earlier stuff anyhow.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:51 AM   #242
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am liking this show a lot more than House of the Dragon.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:32 AM   #243
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Halbrand is an eventual Nazgul.

He was just crowned King of the southlanders. My guess is that he leads them against Sauron (when he reveals himself), but then Sauron deceives him, gives him a ring and corrupts him. And the southlanders are ended. Poor Theo. Poor Bronwyn.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:57 AM   #244
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I have been enjoying this and it has motivated me to start watching a lot of youtube to catch me up at the base levels on middle earth. I've found the channel nerdoftherings very good.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #245
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I have been enjoying this and it has motivated me to start watching a lot of youtube to catch me up at the base levels on middle earth. I've found the channel nerdoftherings very good.
I consider myself a bit of a Tolkien nerd already, but the channel nerd of the rings is an awesome companion to the show.

I love how he mentions where the show deviates from cannon, offers his opinion on whether it makes sense or not, or how the show is cleverly connecting it to another piece of cannon. I typically watch his show immediately after each episode.

Of course, the channel has TONS of other content if you are interested in anything middle earth. Like, where do baby orcs come from?
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 12:03 PM   #246
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rings and Realms youtube channel has been doing fantastic recaps as well (although usually about 5 days later). He had an observation after episode 5 about the the whole mithril plot line and tying it back to some of Finrod's comments in episode 1 that just blew my mind. He's really convinced me that the writers of this show are digging into the themes and lore on a much deeper level than a lot of critics give them credit for.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 01:55 PM   #247
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
The Rings and Realms youtube channel has been doing fantastic recaps as well (although usually about 5 days later). He had an observation after episode 5 about the the whole mithril plot line and tying it back to some of Finrod's comments in episode 1 that just blew my mind. He's really convinced me that the writers of this show are digging into the themes and lore on a much deeper level than a lot of critics give them credit for.
I have only watched part of one video, but from what I've seen that is some impressively deep analysis. I can see why it takes them days to put that together. They are taking it to another level.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:57 PM   #248
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I consider myself a bit of a Tolkien nerd already, but the channel nerd of the rings is an awesome companion to the show.

I love how he mentions where the show deviates from cannon, offers his opinion on whether it makes sense or not, or how the show is cleverly connecting it to another piece of cannon. I typically watch his show immediately after each episode.

Of course, the channel has TONS of other content if you are interested in anything middle earth. Like, where do baby orcs come from?
I've never bothered to delve into the wider world than just LotR and the Hobbit, so I am doing all kinds of catchup on Morgoth and Gil Galad and all the other videos out there. I don't see myself trying to read the Silmarillion or anything, but its nice to have a broader understanding of the world. I think it could be awesome to have all sorts of shows and movies like Stars Wars and Marvel.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:48 PM   #249
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I've never bothered to delve into the wider world than just LotR and the Hobbit, so I am doing all kinds of catchup on Morgoth and Gil Galad and all the other videos out there. I don't see myself trying to read the Silmarillion or anything, but its nice to have a broader understanding of the world. I think it could be awesome to have all sorts of shows and movies like Stars Wars and Marvel.
The Silamrillion definitely gets a bit dense, but the creation myth in the first chapter(or however long it goes) is easier to read, and a good intro to the beginnings.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 09:22 AM   #250
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before Christopher died, he basically broke out the Silmarillion into individual story books. Fall of Gondolin, Children of Hurin, Beren & Luthien etc.

So if you read the first few chapters of Silmarillion, then read these individual books, you are in great shape for knowing the grander histories.

Unfinished Tales is also a great little book and very accessible.

There's also a neat encyclopedia book by David Day you can use as a quick reference. Costco is selling em for $20 right now
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2022, 10:04 PM   #251
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another good episode. At this point I'm feeling like they've set a good foundation for the series. It has taken some time, but even characters like Galadriel have gradually won me over.

I thought there was going to be kind of a trite Frodo and Sam rehash for a moment with Nori and her friend, but they dispelled that pretty quickly with the direction taken with the Harfoots in a way that actually seems pretty fun.

I have no idea who these characters are they've introduced following the wizard around. They seem a bit weird and out of place so far, but seeing as they're developing the rest of the series we'll hopefully that story line will end up succeeding too.

Old 10-07-2022, 10:47 PM   #252
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Durins. Bane.
I got the fizz in me jumblees.

But if I am honest. I have to say it feels far too early for that reveal. That should maybe be a season 2 ender.

I'm more confused now about the Star man than before.

Last edited by dammage79; 10-07-2022 at 10:52 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 11:48 PM   #253
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I am liking this show a lot more than House of the Dragon.
is it wrong to like both for different reasons? both shows are scratching itches I have in different crevasses of nerdom
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:09 AM   #254
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious why this episode was titled 'The Eye'. The most obvious connotation for 'the eye' in lotr is the eye of Sauron, but we don't see anything of the eye of Sauron in this episode.

Old 10-08-2022, 09:32 AM   #255
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
is it wrong to like both for different reasons? both shows are scratching itches I have in different crevasses of nerdom
Of course there is nothing wrong with that. I haven't given up on House of the Dragon. They are both marketed as fantasy shows, but I am just enjoying the diversity of characters, plot, and settings more in Rings of Power. However, I would put OG GOT miles ahead of both shows for the same reasons.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 09:59 AM   #256
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't even watched an episode of HoD. I loved GoT both as a show and as books, but I just don't have a sense of inspiration to watch HoD. Maybe it's just that there is enough brutality in real life over the last year that I don't have the will to watch a show filled with even more brutality and prefer the lighter fantasy escapism of Tolkien's world.

Old 10-08-2022, 10:36 AM   #257
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I'm curious why this episode was titled 'The Eye'. The most obvious connotation for 'the eye' in lotr is the eye of Sauron, but we don't see anything of the eye of Sauron in this episode.
My first reaction is that maybe it’s about Miriel. Or Disa’s strange eyes were more intense than normal. However, my other thought is maybe it’s less literal, a reference to an eye of a storm, where it may look like the storm is over but really you’re in the middle of it.

edit: read this theory that makes so much sense: A couple episodes ago, Gil-Galad said how 'the eye-of-hope is the first to awaken and last to close'. Given that the episode starts with Galadriel's eye opening, and there's a change in her tone in this episode, this could be a reference to hope awakening in her.

Last edited by octothorp; 10-10-2022 at 02:02 PM.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 11:22 AM   #258
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I haven't even watched an episode of HoD. I loved GoT both as a show and as books, but I just don't have a sense of inspiration to watch HoD. Maybe it's just that there is enough brutality in real life over the last year that I don't have the will to watch a show filled with even more brutality and prefer the lighter fantasy escapism of Tolkien's world.
that's a good reason at least . better than people letting their anger over s8 allow them to write off a new show before watching it . there is a little brutality here and there so that's probably a good call
Old 10-10-2022, 11:14 AM   #259
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

So there was a lot to unpack from E6, but I did feel like that made E7 pretty flat. Considering we only have 1 more, I had hoped to still be building tension, but that episode didn't feel that way to me.

I still really like all the story lines and am eager to see how things develop. I still don't get all the Galadriel hate. People seem to upset that she has character flaws and compare her to the version we know from the trilogy. I just don't agree as I think its great storytelling to show how brash she was going into this story and all the learning and growth she will endure to get to the point we saw in LotR.

I just find it fascinating when people get on the 'ThIs is ThE WorsT ThiNg EveR' rant about shows like this.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:44 AM   #260
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

the show is improving , or more just honing in what it is trying to be narratively after all the the necessary exposition and world building to set the stage for the story . it certainly has some momentum now for those that sat through the slow start . though yes I do feel the suspense is up and down episode to episode rather than on a steady build. their resigning/ throwing in the towel on the southlands in a milli second and solving their problems with that other settlement which by their description sounds better than the southlands in every aspect kind of sucked the whole conflict and problem that was brewing right out of that plot line before it even took off . I get the show runners wanted the shock and awe of mordor forming but it came at the expense of the story which is kind of a shame . so it went back to meandering a bit in that episode

I would say HOTD is more polished (narratively not visually) than this show but this one shows it could have the potential to be the front runner if they can pull it together and cut out the aimless bits that it suffers from here and there . shorter episodes might actually work in their favor . there just isn't enough to chew on in some scenes to justify the length that they are drawn out

was that log scene just meant to be a call back to fellowship?? I mean come on . it added nothing, and there was no tension. just cut it