Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2022, 09:26 PM   #81
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
3 keepers. I’m tempted to keep Barkov, Ovi and Tkachuk, since Robertson looks like he will miss the whole or most of camp.
Oooooh. Yeah good call, I'd do the same.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:08 PM   #82
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Yup, it was a bit of a discount IMO, but mostly for being 1 year early. Securing $100M makes a lot more sense than risking another year to go for $120M, before you even consider the implications to team building.

Also it was before Matthews and Marner changed the RFA norms. In today's context, Mavi's biggest 'discount' was giving 8 yrs instead of 5-6.

I wonder what term Matthews will sign for next. ELC-5-5-7 is probably the best way to maximize a 20 yr career (but of course has more risk)
He’s a max player. Whether you should take the max because it essentially handcuffs your team is a different story. There’s no way he doesn’t get a max sheet if he’s eligible and there’s no way the oilers don’t match so he’s essentially screwing his own team’s cap making it harder to win.

The fact the oilers haven’t been able to put something together with McDavid just goes to show how incredibly inept their management is. Just brutal.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:30 PM   #83
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
No one has signed for the max, including Crosby

And McDavid was signing a post-ELC contract.

It was not a discount
Brad Richards signed for the max back in 05-06. $7.8M on a $39 M cap.
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:11 PM   #84
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
Brad Richards signed for the max back in 05-06. $7.8M on a $39 M cap.
Richards signed that contract after the '05-06 season. It went into effect in '06-07, when the cap was $44 million.

The maximum salary is pretty much a dead letter. In theory you can pay one player 20% of your total payroll, but in practice nobody ever builds a team that way.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:17 AM   #85
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

What were the Oilers gonna do if McDavid asked for the max 20%? Trade him?

He absolutely took a discount. It just happens in hockey.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:23 AM   #86
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds really disingenuous to suggest a guy who, at the time, signed a contract worth $2M/year more than the next highest guy took a discount. He didn't take a discount, and I sincerely doubt the max contract was ever a realistic option.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:59 AM   #87
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
It sounds really disingenuous to suggest a guy who, at the time, signed a contract worth $2M/year more than the next highest guy took a discount. He didn't take a discount, and I sincerely doubt the max contract was ever a realistic option.
He absolutely took a discount. Top players just usually don't take what they are worth. Probably worried about the blowback to their legacy from all the blowhard armchair media who don't bat an eye when guys like Lucic and Neal take every last penny they can get their hands on.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 09:15 AM   #88
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
He absolutely took a discount. Top players just usually don't take what they are worth. Probably worried about the blowback to their legacy from all the blowhard armchair media who don't bat an eye when guys like Lucic and Neal take every last penny they can get their hands on.
No he didn't. Relative to the market he took exactly what he was worth. Just because they could pay him more doesn't mean he's actually worth more.

He didn't take a discount.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:18 AM   #89
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No he didn't. Relative to the market he took exactly what he was worth. Just because they could pay him more doesn't mean he's actually worth more.

He could've demanded more, and they would have almost certainly paid it. = Discount.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:27 AM   #90
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm gonna have to disagree. He took a discount specifically because he could have and would have gotten more if he really wanted to. You don't think the Leafs had any issues giving up 4 1st round picks to sign him to an offer sheet at max value and max term?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:44 AM   #91
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that another team might be willing to overpay, does not mean a player took a discount

McDavid had been in the league for 2 years when he signed the deal, and it made him the highest paid player in the league, by a couple million. Suggesting it was a discount is pure hindsight bias.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:49 AM   #92
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid signed an extension the first possible day he could. He didn't play hardball. He could have gotten every penny he wanted. And what are the Oilers gonna do? Not pay him?

He took a discount, and many said the same thing on July 1, 2017. There is a lot of pressure in the NHL for the best players to take discounts so the team can add more players to win.

Of course, the Oilers repaid the favour by overpaying Nurse and others, but I fail to see how anyone can think taking anything less than max dollars anything but a discount.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 10:52 AM   #93
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The fact that another team might be willing to overpay, does not mean a player took a discount

McDavid had been in the league for 2 years when he signed the deal, and it made him the highest paid player in the league, by a couple million. Suggesting it was a discount is pure hindsight bias.
I don't think he took a discount as much as I think he just signed to get it done.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:16 AM   #94
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
McDavid signed an extension the first possible day he could. He didn't play hardball. He could have gotten every penny he wanted. And what are the Oilers gonna do? Not pay him?

He took a discount, and many said the same thing on July 1, 2017. There is a lot of pressure in the NHL for the best players to take discounts so the team can add more players to win.

Of course, the Oilers repaid the favour by overpaying Nurse and others, but I fail to see how anyone can think taking anything less than max dollars anything but a discount.
A contract has to make sense for the team and the player. Every good player could squeeze out more, but that doesn't mean they all took discounts.

Again, he had been in the league for 2 years and had put up a total of 148 pts. Saying anything less than the maximum is a discount is laughable, IMO.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:14 PM   #95
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
He could've demanded more, and they would have almost certainly paid it. = Discount.
I highly doubt they would have. It would have crippled their cap structure. I don't think any team in the NHL has the ability to pay the absolute maximum allowed. Especially if they're serious about winning.

If McDavid demand $15M/year the Oilers would have just let him sit. McDavid knew that. His agent knew it. He took the most he could have realistically expected.

The notion that he took a discount is, frankly, absurd.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:17 PM   #96
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree. He took a discount specifically because he could have and would have gotten more if he really wanted to. You don't think the Leafs had any issues giving up 4 1st round picks to sign him to an offer sheet at max value and max term?
Why would the Leafs do that when they already have Auston Matthews? Of course they wouldn't have paid that price.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:22 PM   #97
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would the Leafs do that when they already have Auston Matthews? Of course they wouldn't have paid that price.
Because they could have had Austin Matthews AND McDavid?

Edit: Or traded Matthews for a haul. Are you arguing Matthews is as good as McDavid?
Old 10-04-2022, 01:28 PM   #98
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because they could have had Austin Matthews AND McDavid?

Edit: Or traded Matthews for a haul. Are you arguing Matthews is as good as McDavid?
No, I'm arguing that it doesn't make any sense to upgrade from Matthews to McDavid for your #1C if the cost is a max term contract and 4 1st round picks. Sure, they'd have McDavid and Matthews, but they'd be surrounded by no one and wouldn't be a competitive team. Better to just keep Matthews as a cheaper and only slightly worse #1C than destroy your team and cap for a marginal upgrade.

Having Matthews and McDavid is useless if the rest of your lineup is ELC and league minimum guys.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:45 PM   #99
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Max contract at the time was what? $14M? That's $1.5M more than what McDavid got, and $4M more than what they ended up signing Nylander for. I highly doubt the $1.5M would make or break a team and need the rest of the team at ELC and league min guys. Agree to disagree, but I'm firmly of the belief that had McDavid waited till he was RFA, Leafs would have been the first team to throw the max salary and term at him, and then work out the other contracts later. At that time, they still had Matthews and Marner making ELC for one more year, and most likely would have traded Nylander to recoup some of their 1st round picks they gave up for McDavid.

Edit: Sorry, mistead Nylander's contract, his cap hit is $7M. My point still stands. They would have traded Nylander to cover for part of McDavid's salary. And who knows, they may have played more hardball with Marner in the next summer rather than just hand him the $10.9M deal.

Last edited by The Yen Man; 10-04-2022 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:40 PM   #100
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I highly doubt they would have. It would have crippled their cap structure. I don't think any team in the NHL has the ability to pay the absolute maximum allowed. Especially if they're serious about winning.

If McDavid demand $15M/year the Oilers would have just let him sit. McDavid knew that. His agent knew it. He took the most he could have realistically expected.

The notion that he took a discount is, frankly, absurd.
The bolded declarative statement is absurd. There are lots of different opinions with valid arguments...this might be the most absurd time to declare 'only my opinion is right' in the history of the internet.

Quote:
Max contract at the time was what? $14M? That's $1.5M more than what McDavid got, and $4M more than what they ended up signing Nylander for. I highly doubt the $1.5M would make or break a team and need the rest of the team at ELC and league min guys. Agree to disagree, but I'm firmly of the belief that had McDavid waited till he was RFA, Leafs would have been the first team to throw the max salary and term at him, and then work out the other contracts later. At that time, they still had Matthews and Marner making ELC for one more year, and most likely would have traded Nylander to recoup some of their 1st round picks they gave up for McDavid.

Edit: Sorry, mistead Nylander's contract, his cap hit is $7M. My point still stands. They would have traded Nylander to cover for part of McDavid's salary. And who knows, they may have played more hardball with Marner in the next summer rather than just hand him the $10.9M deal.
Marleau would have just finished his first year of his deal on Mavi's theoretical offer sheet year. Maybe they would have gotten out of it cheaply at that point. Lots of sliding doors moments
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good