Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2022, 10:24 AM   #1481
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
There's no middle ground on this board anymore. Or anywhere, really.
No, there are lots people on the middle ground. Trouble is that they are not whipping people into a furry, so they don't get the same air time.

Being controversial is good marketing.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #1482
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

It’s a start but is it enough?

The Alberta government has committed to five immediate actions and will spend an additional $63 million, over two years, to reduce homelessness throughout the province, it announced Saturday.

The province also announced that it will spend more than $124 million on increasing access to addiction and mental health services in Edmonton and Calgary.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6603089
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:55 AM   #1483
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
This part of the thread reads like a bunch of people boasting about how naturally smart, while lazy at the same time, they are.
If you weren't lazy in high school then you must have been some weird robot keener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:34 AM   #1484
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched a clip on Twitter of a Smith interview discussing her plan if she’s premier. It’s scary stuff, but nothing we didn’t already know.

If she doesn’t win on the first ballot she may not win. That’s our only hope, I fear.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 12:01 PM   #1485
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends who Brian Jean's 2nds are. Todd Loewen's are likely her, the rest are likely a combo of eachother but ultimately Toews...

Are the people voting for Jean still ticked that Smith collapsed the Wildrose? If so, Toews may win. If not, then Smith will cruise.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:14 PM   #1486
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Imagine being passionate about something that impacts your day to day life, your future, your kids future.

Consumed would be that guy going after Tyler Toffoli every chance he gets lol.
It's never a bad thing to have a general interest in politics but when we start using the words "passion" that's where you have to be careful. There is a very thin line between passion and obsession. Political obsession is bad for your well being and often bleeds into relationships.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:16 PM   #1487
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's never a bad thing to have a general interest in politics but when we start using the words "passion" that's where you have to be careful. There is a very thin line between passion and obsession. Political obsession is bad for your well being and often bleeds into relationships.
Folks who make politics their entire identity are insufferable. That goes out to everyone with a #### Trudeau bumper sticker.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 01:42 PM   #1488
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I find so called “political junkies” to often times the least informed people to discuss politics with. They should relabel themselves as “party x junkies”

There’s a big difference between passion and obsession
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 01:43 PM   #1489
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn't imagine being outraged enough to stick anything political on my car. So insecure, cringey, and embarrassing.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 02:59 PM   #1490
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don Martin: An Alberta storm is brewing as Danielle Smith is set to become premier

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/don-...mier-1.6095122
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:31 PM   #1491
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I expect that Smith will lead the UCP into an even bigger defeat at the hands of NDP than in 2015. I don't even know what happens post election in that case as to whether or not the UCP splits or what a future leadership race would look like.

I thought Kenney was a bad choice for leader and I can't even comprehend how Smith can be a logical choice for many people.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:31 PM   #1492
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

"Set to Become Premier?"

Holy crap, talk about circumventing respect for democracy and declaring your victor before the votes are counted. I sense that even Martin thinks she's too right-wing and doesn't like that outcome, but holy smokes.

Does Martin even know it's a ranked ballot?

I mean she has a strong chance of winning but this is putting the cart before the horse.

That is some seriously questionable journalistic integrity right there.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:02 PM   #1493
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I expect that Smith will lead the UCP into an even bigger defeat at the hands of NDP than in 2015. I don't even know what happens post election in that case as to whether or not the UCP splits or what a future leadership race would look like.

I thought Kenney was a bad choice for leader and I can't even comprehend how Smith can be a logical choice for many people.
I doubt it. Without a Conservative vote split, it's going to be very close. I have no hope at all that rural Alberta understands Smith enough to keep her away from power.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:05 PM   #1494
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
"Set to Become Premier?"

Holy crap, talk about circumventing respect for democracy and declaring your victor before the votes are counted. I sense that even Martin thinks she's too right-wing and doesn't like that outcome, but holy smokes.

Does Martin even know it's a ranked ballot?

I mean she has a strong chance of winning but this is putting the cart before the horse.

That is some seriously questionable journalistic integrity right there.
It's an opinion piece, but not particularly egregious within that context. Keep calm and carry on.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:38 PM   #1495
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I doubt it. Without a Conservative vote split, it's going to be very close. I have no hope at all that rural Alberta understands Smith enough to keep her away from power.
I guess it depends on how much support Smith actually gets in the leadership vote. If it is split at all it could indicate that support for a UCP led by Smith may not be that great. If she wins at the same level that PP did for the CPC that is a very different story.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:37 PM   #1496
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess it depends on how much support Smith actually gets in the leadership vote. If it is split at all it could indicate that support for a UCP led by Smith may not be that great. If she wins at the same level that PP did for the CPC that is a very different story.
Support or not, the far right in Alberta have picked her. So no farther right party has much chance, and the moderate Conservatives have all left the building. So whatever the level of support is in the vote, team blue won't have much choice but to line up behind her, or stay home. Maybe staying home gives enough of a boost to the NDP, but I still don't see a world with Smith leading the UCP that the NDP have a better chance than 2015. It'll be a narrow NDP victory if they can get it. Probably still a majority, given we have become a 2 party province, but it'll be tight.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:41 PM   #1497
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Solberg: You may not like Kenney, but you should thank him anyway:

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...ank-him-anyway
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:12 PM   #1498
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

There's no reason to listen to any of the Solbergs on political opinions. Harper and Kenney sycophants, biased and paid for. This is like Smithers writing a goodbye piece for Mr. Burns.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 09:53 PM   #1499
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Solberg: You may not like Kenney, but you should thank him anyway:

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...ank-him-anyway
Not even going to justify that with a click. No thank you.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 10:41 PM   #1500
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I wonder how many UCP-for-a-day voters there are in the leadership. Anecdotally there were a lot in the Stelmach election and Kenney review but no idea if they was significant enough to change the outcome.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote