Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2022, 11:50 AM   #1581
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man. The Delta Flyer last week was cool but this. week's. episode. was. awesome!

Spoiler!
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 04:17 PM   #1582
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Oh man. The Delta Flyer last week was cool but this. week's. episode. was. awesome!

Spoiler!
Wow. That episode was...Wow.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 05:05 PM   #1583
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nana Visitor and Armin Shimerman came back to do the voices. I nearly died from the nerdgasm.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:32 PM   #1584
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow the nostalgia factor was off the charts... absolutely loved that episode. To have armin and Nana return for that was awesome too.

Also, a great plot for an episode! Lower decks is a touch more off the wall but feels like such authentic trek. Usually an a plot/B plot, character development, and feel good while clowning itself a bit.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:55 PM   #1585
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is today the day to re-watch 'In the Pale Moonlight?'

Yes. Yes it is.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-30-2022, 05:59 PM   #1586
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Is today the day to re-watch 'In the Pale Moonlight?'

Yes. Yes it is.
Incorrect.

Today is the day to start an entire rewatch of DS9. "We met in battle."

Poor Picard looks so gut punched

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2022, 07:44 PM   #1587
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love DS9, and it's a shame that some Star Trek fans don't care for it in the slightest.

I have been watching one of those YouTube 'reaction' channels for some time—"Gallifrey Gals"—consisting of a Trekkie and a complete and utter Star Trek n00b's journey through a (re)watch of TNG. They just finished watching "Chain of Command Part II", the last TNG episode to air before DS9's premiere:

Spoiler!

Unfortunately according to comments (I know I know, I'm a fool for even looking at YouTube comments...) the 'gals' have no intention whatsoever to watch DS9. The Trekkie of the two is (I'm guessing) ~35 years old, grew up watching TNG, and although she apparently has watched DS9 she just never liked it. She's not the only one I've known over the years, and I have never figured out a way to get them to give DS9 a shot. I think their feelings about DS9 come from a reverence for TNG, and in particular a distaste of Sisko's interactions with Picard in the series premiere.

I always loved "Emissary" as an episode, and I think it's (probably) the best premiere of any Star Trek series. Sisko's background is so much more complex and compelling to me than that of most other Star Trek characters. Sisko not only holds a grudge against Picard for something he ostensibly had no control over, but Sisko doesn't even want to be on DS9 in the first place. We come to find out that he has spent the years since the Battle of Wolf 359 never resolving his feelings over his wife's death, leaving him seemingly irrevocably broken, but his encounter with the Prophets helps him to finally let go and move on. In a lot of ways I think he's not only a perfect contrast against the eternally optimistic and idealistic Picard, but against Cmdr. Riker and in particular Riker's behaviour in "Chain of Command". With Sisko, here's a guy who resents being in the presence of the beloved Capt. Picard, but who sucks it up and does the job he's been tasked to do. Riker on the other hand is a petulant twit in "Chain of Command" who turns into an insubordinate sucky-baby who refuses to to the job he's been tasked to do.

It's a seemingly super-common belief that Capt. Jellico was an abrasive jerk who didn't deserve to command Enterprise in Picard's stead, but I'll come out and say it: other than pushing through a re-work of the ship's duty schedules in an unnecessarily quick fashion, Jellico did nothing wrong. Riker was in the wrong. He attempted to ignore and even contravene his commanding officer's decisions, and almost singlehandedly undermined the negotiations with the Cardassians.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 08:18 AM   #1588
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have a tough time acknowledging someone as a Trekkie if they just straight up don’t like any of TOS, TNG, or DS9. The other ones sure, definitely the quality wavers a lot, but those three series are the Crown Jewels.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:45 AM   #1589
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don’t really care for TOS. I get it was the first and paved the way but it’s just difficult for me to get over the special effects, acting and script limitations. Some things just don’t translate well for modern audiences. I don’t hate it, nor do I think it’s crap. It’s just not very watchable for me.

As for DS9, I know several trekkies that never got into it. And I totally get it. It’s so much different than any Trek before or after it. It wasn’t until I got into it on Netflix that I realized it’s brilliance.

- there’s virtually no space exploration
- the show heavily focuses on quirky non star fleet characters
- the series and the first season especially are heavily religion/magic focused.
- while there are some amazing anti traditional trek trends and episodes, it also introduces some things that many trek fans think go against the core trek tenets like section 31. It fundamentally changes the federation both before and after. Discovery does the same thing. It’s a total retcon of TOS and all previously established canon
- it was easy to go straight from TNG to voyager and skip ds9

It’s funny because many of the series’ biggest strengths are also seen as it’s biggest weaknesses.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:50 PM   #1590
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I rewatched Picard season 1, cause I'd forgotten so much of it, and boy am I torn. If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 5.5/10. Saying that, there were some elements I really liked, and others that were just absolutely dreadful.

Frankly I don't care enough to get into the details (except the ships in the finale, why were all the Federation ships identical? I mean I accepted that retired Riker just shows up leading the fleet, but could they have thrown a bit more dough at the CGI budget and given us more than one cool ship? C'mon!)

Going to start season 2 tonight. I've gathered It's not good, but I'm a very forgiving and chronically optimistic Star Trek fan.

...engage!
So...how's this going?

Old 10-05-2022, 10:16 PM   #1591
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I love DS9, and it's a shame that some Star Trek fans don't care for it in the slightest.

I have been watching one of those YouTube 'reaction' channels for some time—"Gallifrey Gals"—consisting of a Trekkie and a complete and utter Star Trek n00b's journey through a (re)watch of TNG. They just finished watching "Chain of Command Part II", the last TNG episode to air before DS9's premiere:

Spoiler!

Unfortunately according to comments (I know I know, I'm a fool for even looking at YouTube comments...) the 'gals' have no intention whatsoever to watch DS9. The Trekkie of the two is (I'm guessing) ~35 years old, grew up watching TNG, and although she apparently has watched DS9 she just never liked it. She's not the only one I've known over the years, and I have never figured out a way to get them to give DS9 a shot. I think their feelings about DS9 come from a reverence for TNG, and in particular a distaste of Sisko's interactions with Picard in the series premiere.

I always loved "Emissary" as an episode, and I think it's (probably) the best premiere of any Star Trek series. Sisko's background is so much more complex and compelling to me than that of most other Star Trek characters. Sisko not only holds a grudge against Picard for something he ostensibly had no control over, but Sisko doesn't even want to be on DS9 in the first place. We come to find out that he has spent the years since the Battle of Wolf 359 never resolving his feelings over his wife's death, leaving him seemingly irrevocably broken, but his encounter with the Prophets helps him to finally let go and move on. In a lot of ways I think he's not only a perfect contrast against the eternally optimistic and idealistic Picard, but against Cmdr. Riker and in particular Riker's behaviour in "Chain of Command". With Sisko, here's a guy who resents being in the presence of the beloved Capt. Picard, but who sucks it up and does the job he's been tasked to do. Riker on the other hand is a petulant twit in "Chain of Command" who turns into an insubordinate sucky-baby who refuses to to the job he's been tasked to do.

It's a seemingly super-common belief that Capt. Jellico was an abrasive jerk who didn't deserve to command Enterprise in Picard's stead, but I'll come out and say it: other than pushing through a re-work of the ship's duty schedules in an unnecessarily quick fashion, Jellico did nothing wrong. Riker was in the wrong. He attempted to ignore and even contravene his commanding officer's decisions, and almost singlehandedly undermined the negotiations with the Cardassians.
I used to watch Gallifrey Gals when I was into Doctor Who (that's another franchise that has slowly circled the drain), and it's disappointing to hear they won't give DS9 a try. I mean it's been 30 years, people should know just by word of mouth by now that its reputation is solid if not top tier in the franchise.

Also Jellico put Troi into a proper professional uniform instead of a stupid bunny suit which is how it should have been since Encounter at Farpoint.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-05-2022 at 11:57 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:56 AM   #1592
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always thought the producers may have mishandled the writing in that episode a bit. It should have been a moment for Rikers pride to be absolutely smashed and he should have realized how much of an idiot he was and maybe he was getting way too comfy under Picard. It was also a big opportunity to show how lax Picard has become; a pretty big change from the Picard who first stepped on to the enterprise.
In the end we were left coming close to those things, but i think the way the episode was cut and then future episodes ran it made it just seem like Jellico was a random ######. But really, he was a captain in a high pressure situation expecting the best from the allegedly best crew in the fleet. And he almost got sunk because of insubordination!
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 11:21 AM   #1593
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Jellico was a sterotypical ship of the line Captain, and Riker was literally and completely insubordinate to him, and was calling him out and arguing with him in front of the crew just for the reason of arguing.

Riker in that episode was a bad XO and should have been walked to the nearest airlock.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #1594
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I always thought the producers may have mishandled the writing in that episode a bit. It should have been a moment for Rikers pride to be absolutely smashed and he should have realized how much of an idiot he was and maybe he was getting way too comfy under Picard. It was also a big opportunity to show how lax Picard has become; a pretty big change from the Picard who first stepped on to the enterprise.
In the end we were left coming close to those things, but i think the way the episode was cut and then future episodes ran it made it just seem like Jellico was a random ######. But really, he was a captain in a high pressure situation expecting the best from the allegedly best crew in the fleet. And he almost got sunk because of insubordination!
It is amazing how we look at things so differently given a little time.

I probably watched that episode for the first time when I was barely a teenager? Not when it came out. And at that time it was more like:

"He's a big meany and they're messing with MY crew and Riker is going to set him straight!"

Me watching it now essentially thinks about it almost exactly as you do...and maybe my perception is clouded by Lower Decks showing us that these people arent perfect and there are some serious issues here.

Like...Riker man...what are you doing?

I think we're supposed to be attached to the Enterprise Crew and not the concept of Starfleet as a whole, we're given this isolated perspective, and yeah, its the Flagship so we just naturally assume that this is the way its supposed to be and that this guy is, as you put, just some random ###hole.

But then the Universe is expanded and you look back on this and its...*awkward collar tug*

Old 10-06-2022, 01:12 PM   #1595
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

CTV Sci-Fi seems to be running through all TNG episodes at the moment, last night was the one where Brahms visits the Enterprise and they're dealing with the baby space leech sucking on reactor juice. it's still very entertaining but wow did it ever age like Ferengi milk.

Geordi spends the whole time awkwardly attempting to seduce a married woman that clearly has no interest. he even sets up a dinner date ambush under the guise of a working meeting. then she discovers her much more "receptive" copy on the holodeck (every time you touch the engine, you're touching me...lol) and after a perfectly understandable horrified reaction, Geordi yells at her that she's being ungrateful for his offerings of friendship. the episode ends with Leah apologizing to Geordi for being too absorbed in her work to reciprocate his friendly intentions...which is total bs because his reaction to the news that she's married is totally not that of someone who just wants to be friends.

so yeah, nice time capsule into early 90's social standards. simultaneous laughter and cringing can sometimes be the best way to enjoy classic TV.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:19 PM   #1596
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Also Jellico put Troi into a proper professional uniform instead of a stupid bunny suit which is how it should have been since Encounter at Farpoint.
14-year-old me never forgave him for that! Now that I am in my 40s and had to enforce dress code issues at work, I totally see where he was coming from.

Another thing about that episode that bothered me was I didn't recall them ever previously establishing that Riker was some hot-shot pilot, best on the ship. That seemed to come out of nowhere.

It is funny how Star Trek often shows non-major character senior leaders in Starfleet as being evil or incompetent. How many terrible Admirals does the fleet have? Oh well, I guess it is an easy plot device. Let's violate orders!
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:19 PM   #1597
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, Geordi came across as one step from hiding in her closet and watching her take a shower then blaming her for being so hot that he was forced to hide and watch her.

Jellico would have straightened his weirdo butt out quick fast and in a hurry if he was Captain.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 01:22 PM   #1598
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could you imagine if Jellico had been the Captain when they found out what Lt. Barclay was doing on the Holodeck?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 01:23 PM   #1599
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
14-year-old me never forgave him for that! Now that I am in my 40s and had to enforce dress code issues at work, I totally see where he was coming from.

Another thing about that episode that bothered me was I didn't recall them ever previously establishing that Riker was some hot-shot pilot, best on the ship. That seemed to come out of nowhere.

It is funny how Star Trek often shows non-major character senior leaders in Starfleet as being evil or incompetent. How many terrible Admirals does the fleet have? Oh well, I guess it is an easy plot device. Let's violate orders!
Riker was a terrible XO, I mean the Borg are getting set to invade, a hot shot expert officer who wants a command someday and shows a bunch of initiative and expertise in the face of an alien invasion obsesses that she's basically after his job (Which she should be) and whines that she takes the iniative to go planet side and investigate before a storm shows up.

But he did play a mean trombone.

But an awful first officer.

Just like Worf being an awful security chief.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:25 PM   #1600
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
CTV Sci-Fi seems to be running through all TNG episodes at the moment, last night was the one where Brahms visits the Enterprise and they're dealing with the baby space leech sucking on reactor juice. it's still very entertaining but wow did it ever age like Ferengi milk.

Geordi spends the whole time awkwardly attempting to seduce a married woman that clearly has no interest. he even sets up a dinner date ambush under the guise of a working meeting. then she discovers her much more "receptive" copy on the holodeck (every time you touch the engine, you're touching me...lol) and after a perfectly understandable horrified reaction, Geordi yells at her that she's being ungrateful for his offerings of friendship. the episode ends with Leah apologizing to Geordi for being too absorbed in her work to reciprocate his friendly intentions...which is total bs because his reaction to the news that she's married is totally not that of someone who just wants to be friends.

so yeah, nice time capsule into early 90's social standards. simultaneous laughter and cringing can sometimes be the best way to enjoy classic TV.
And the thing is, it could have been okay.

Geordi acts all super creepy. Brahms finds out that he's actually been even creepier than that, and then she understands why, sets Geordi straight and like a chastised child he wises up and acts like a professional.

But then she apologizes to him at the end?? Naw...theres no coming back from that. If only they'd not done that.