Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2022, 09:52 AM   #1961
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Thanks, I'll mention it to him I keep telling him to get a Broil King instead of a box store special.
I bought a 4-burner natural gas Weber a few years ago at Home Depot that was on crazy clearance. I think it was late-ish season, so just pop into the stores from time to time and you likely find something.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 10:30 AM   #1962
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an older Baron 440 and love it. 4 burner is overkill for our family most of the time but it's a must for indirect grilling. Doing a flat iron steak tonight. Sear both sides on the left on high and move to the right on low. Rest, slice, and cover with chimichurri. Cant wait for dinner.

I went without it for a long time as I snapped one of the burner valves in -30 this winter trying to sear a ham I smoked for Christmas on my WSM Cooker. Super easy to get parts and fix.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2022, 10:44 AM   #1963
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I bought a 4-burner natural gas Weber a few years ago at Home Depot that was on crazy clearance. I think it was late-ish season, so just pop into the stores from time to time and you likely find something.
I had the same luck myself, but it was like 10 years ago now. The BBQ is still going strong. It was a 4 burner Summit with a side burner.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:33 AM   #1964
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to smoke up a ham this weekend. I dropped it in some brine I made with apple juice and some spices; however, I then read today that you don’t need to brine a pre-cooked ham.

Oh well, since when did salt make meat taste worse. Will likely hit the ham with a honey brown sugar glaze as it rests.

Think I will add in some smoked honey glazed carrots and some kind of baked potato
Old 10-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #1965
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So when I was unloading my new Q last week, the side shelf fell off and hit the ground. Cracked a bit of the plastic trim. I went back today to see if I could just order the plastic trim, and they gave me a whole new shelf! So score one for BBQ Galore service. Would recommend.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:54 AM   #1966
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Going to smoke up a ham this weekend. I dropped it in some brine I made with apple juice and some spices; however, I then read today that you don’t need to brine a pre-cooked ham.

Oh well, since when did salt make meat taste worse. Will likely hit the ham with a honey brown sugar glaze as it rests.

Think I will add in some smoked honey glazed carrots and some kind of baked potato
I have a mustard and reisling mix that I put on my ham. Delicious.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 09:37 PM   #1967
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife gave away my thermometer to somebody who needed it more than me, but I still want one.. plus my oven probe one from IKEA finally bit the dust.

Anyone familiar with this? I have never heard of this brand, and it pretty much only place that has them is BBQ Galore.

https://barbecuesgalore.ca/products/...al-thermometer
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:00 AM   #1968
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so on the weekend i smoked a pre-cooked ham and it was likely my best smoking effort to date. i brinded the ham in a mix of apple juice, brown sugar and some various BBQ seasonings after two days i was stunned as the ham seemed to have absorbed about a liter of juice.

before putting it in the smoker, i lathered yellow mustard on it, then hit is with some pork rub. smoked it for about 4 hours until it got to 160'ish, then let it rest for an hour. as it was resting i hit it with a honey brown sugar glaze........i hwas stunned as after we ate and relxed for a bit, it was cutting it up and the center of the ham was still very warm and it had to have been off the smker for about 2.5h

my social media feed was being slammed by ads for the meater wireless bluetooth thermometer, and i was having issues with my thermometer, and reader, i wound up searching amazon and went with a $70 no name unit, that i will test on the enxt smoke
Old 10-12-2022, 09:58 AM   #1969
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I have done this at Christmas this year and twice since with the apricot glaze. One of the best tasting things to ever come off my smoker/grill.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ed-ham-recipe/

Pre cooked hams are usually already wet brined. Just throw the glaze packet out or give it a rinse. Glad to hear the 2nd brining didn't affect the taste.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:17 AM   #1970
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i too was glad it turned out, as we had people over and i have to admit i tossed the ham in the brine without doing any research. i guess i got lucky, but i also can't help but think that in most cases tossing meat in a tub of liquid with seasoning i really never a bad idea.

my wife was a little annoyed when i slathered the emat in mustard (as she hates plain old yellow mustard), but she said she really enjoyed the ham.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:36 AM   #1971
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i too was glad it turned out, as we had people over and i have to admit i tossed the ham in the brine without doing any research. i guess i got lucky, but i also can't help but think that in most cases tossing meat in a tub of liquid with seasoning i really never a bad idea.

my wife was a little annoyed when i slathered the emat in mustard (as she hates plain old yellow mustard), but she said she really enjoyed the ham.
You brined a ham only to put yellow mustard instead of a deli/brown mustard on it?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:25 PM   #1972
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

meh, i am pedestrian like that. Besides, given the only job of the mustard is to serve as a binding agent, going with fancy boy mustard seems like a waste.

save that stuff for your sammies made with avocado toast, arugula and meats and cheeses made by artisans with names that are difficult to spell and pronounce
Old 10-12-2022, 02:30 PM   #1973
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
meh, i am pedestrian like that. Besides, given the only job of the mustard is to serve as a binding agent, going with fancy boy mustard seems like a waste.

save that stuff for your sammies made with avocado toast, arugula and meats and cheeses made by artisans with names that are difficult to spell and pronounce
I think it's sannies, as in sandwich, not sammie as in samdwich.

or have I got it all wrong?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:37 PM   #1974
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

Sammie is the term for sandwich
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:37 PM   #1975
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You've got it wrong, becuase it is derived from sammich. As in "damn I'm hungry! I'm gonna go make me some sammiches."
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:43 PM   #1976
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I think sannies are those adult incontinence undies.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:45 PM   #1977
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Sammie is the term for sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You've got it wrong, becuase it is derived from sammich. As in "damn I'm hungry! I'm gonna go make me some sammiches."
I'm not gonna lie this is news to me.

My 85 year old English mum has been calling them sannies as long as I can remember.

odd.

Quote:
Old 10-12-2022, 02:55 PM   #1978
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not gonna lie this is news to me.

My 85 year old English mum has been calling them sannies as long as I can remember.

odd.
Ask her if she can make you a chip butty.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:58 PM   #1979
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Says the guy who brined a ham.

I'm just bugging you. It just depends on your tastes. Yellow mustard is sour. Deli or brown mustard isn't too much more expensive than yellow mustard, but it's spicier with a bit more depth in flavor. It goes great on hot dogs too.

On a side note about sandwiches... smoked grilled cheese on the BBQ... so simple, so awesome. Easy to add small things to it and elevate it (my buddy liked adding cold cuts to his grilled cheese).

Buying those frozen Naan and heating it up on a charcoal BBQ with a honey slather is also really tasty too.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 03:01 PM   #1980
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Ask her if she can make you a chip butty.
I've had tonne of them in my day.

In fact when she used to make home made fish and chips, she would always make extra fish for a fish butty

Quote:

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber