Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2022, 09:38 AM   #281
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Okay?
It wasn't meant to be a negative comment, I thought Kadri was excellent I just thought it was funny that Darryl said that after a great game from him and his line.

Impressed with his speed and skill.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 09:42 AM   #282
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
He was, but when asked about Stone he made an odd comment about how Stone's game needs to evolve and its not just about scoring goals.

Stone's game isn't going to evolve. He is what he is.
Velji asked him how he has seen Stones game evolve in camp, and he said he hasn't seen it evolve. Needs to play 18 minutes and it's not about scoring goals to be quite honest.

Sutter has not been very complimentary going back to last year of Stone. I think he has been outplayed by Mackey. His defensive game is poor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 09:46 AM   #283
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Velji asked him how he has seen Stones game evolve in camp, and he said he hasn't seen it evolve. Needs to play 18 minutes and it's not about scoring goals to be quite honest.

Sutter has not been very complimentary going back to last year of Stone. I think he has been outplayed by Mackey. His defensive game is poor.
His comments, along with the recent news (from Francis of all people) that Meloche was given the task of studying Gudbranson's time with the Flames and was flat old told they want him to be the next Gudbranson, makes me think its just not in the cards again for Stone. Not to start the season at least.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:47 AM   #284
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
That gets me excited about weegar.

Maybe the final D pairings shake out as
Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Tanev
Zadorov-Hanifin
Those would be excellent, balanced D pairs. Weegar Andersson would be a top pairing on pretty much any team. It would depend a bit on chemistry, but that feels like it should work if they can button down a bit in their own end. I have no idea how it would slot out, but IMO, Zadorov looks more confident and polished, Tanev was excellent after a long layoff, and Mackey acquitted himself well as a 6/7 guy.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:53 AM   #285
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way Hanifin is moved to the 3rd pair, you don't move a guy who had 48 points last year to bottom pairing minutes that's just ridiculous. Sutter has talked about Zadorov ready to take a bigger role so I can see it going two ways.

Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Mackey-Tanev

Hanifin-Andersson
Weegar-Tanev
Zadorov-Mackey
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 10:00 AM   #286
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
No way Hanifin is moved to the 3rd pair, you don't move a guy who had 48 points last year to bottom pairing minutes that's just ridiculous. Sutter has talked about Zadorov ready to take a bigger role so I can see it going two ways.

Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Mackey-Tanev

Hanifin-Andersson
Weegar-Tanev
Zadorov-Mackey
It is less about 3rd pair and more about potential for even minutes 5v5. That said, either of your suggestions could work. I am just not sure Hanifin-Andersson is written in stone and how Kylington fits in (more likely with Tanev, clearly)
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:12 AM   #287
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No way Hanifin is moved to the 3rd pair, you don't move a guy who had 48 points last year to bottom pairing minutes that's just ridiculous.
Tyson Barrie had 41 points last year from the third pair. Ultimately though I think we have three pairs that could ostensibly be at least a middle pair or better on a good team one way or the other. Calling any single one a third pair is semantic.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:29 AM   #288
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Stone has the big shot which, when it works, works great and fans go crazy over. But he isn’t very good at zone exits (too many blind rings around the boards) and for a bigger guy, isn’t great at net front clearing. I like him fine as an experienced extra D. I don’t think he’s a regular.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:32 AM   #289
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Tyson Barrie had 41 points last year from the third pair. Ultimately though I think we have three pairs that could ostensibly be at least a middle pair or better on a good team one way or the other. Calling any single one a third pair is semantic.
Well that isn't correct, Tyson Barrie scored 21 points bloating his stats playing the power play with McDavis. Tyson Barrie is on the 3rd pair because he sucks and needs to play sheltered minutes.

Hanifin scored 13 power play points and was a plus 27. Its a 3rd pair because they play less minutes and sheltered minutes. Hanifin does not need to be sheltered, he is a top pairing dman and will be played in that role this upcoming season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 10:46 AM   #290
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ joined in September and up to almost 18 posts a day right now! So which formerly banned account is Paulie Walnuts here? Lol.

I have to believe there's a trade to be worked on our back end still. Maybe it isn't Hanifin, but I think he's the most likely. Could be Andersson, that is someone none of us have speculated. IMO the trigger is locking in Weegar.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:51 AM   #291
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
^ joined in September and up to almost 18 posts a day right now! So which formerly banned account is Paulie Walnuts here? Lol.

I have to believe there's a trade to be worked on our back end still. Maybe it isn't Hanifin, but I think he's the most likely. Could be Andersson, that is someone none of us have speculated. IMO the trigger is locking in Weegar.
I posted so much when I joined I got a warning for posting too much. Paulie doesn't sound like any banned account I've seen.

There's no trade of Hanifin, Weegar, Andersson or Tanev coming. Treliving worked hard to form that deep top 4. I could see Kylington, Mackey, Zadorov or Meloche being moved for the right deal, but it's not something they would be seeking out.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:54 AM   #292
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:

He's not really bugging anyone is he?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:54 AM   #293
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very unlikely that Hanifin-Andersson is split up - don't fix what isn't broken. Also, there is no way they move Hanifin to the right side.

My guess is that it is:

Hanifin - Andersson
Zadorov - Weegar
Mackey - Tanev
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 11:04 AM   #294
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Very unlikely that Hanifin-Andersson is split up - don't fix what isn't broken. Also, there is no way they move Hanifin to the right side.

My guess is that it is:

Hanifin - Andersson
Zadorov - Weegar
Mackey - Tanev
I could also see:

Hanifin-Tanev
Zadorov - Weegar
Mackey - Andersson

I think they would give Hanifin-Tanev the toughest minutes until Kylington is back in that scenario.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:05 AM   #295
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

BTWs, if Rooney plays this season, like he did last night.

I am fully ready to eat crow on him.

He was unbelievable with Backlund and Coleman.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 11:12 AM   #296
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
BTWs, if Rooney plays this season, like he did last night.

I am fully ready to eat crow on him.

He was unbelievable with Backlund and Coleman.
Rooney was a big factor in the only goal Friday
Made the hit that created the turnover on Tanev's goal
Drew the penalty that resulted in Stone's goal
Setup Hanifin's goal directly

If he was a Flames draft pick or something we would be going nuts with how great he has been
Old 10-04-2022, 11:14 AM   #297
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

wasn't the full d group but the team d awareness and coverage was on full display . This is going to be good, stifling team that gives up very few goals . Carolina west with some of Darryls LA champion teams in them
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:17 AM   #298
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also think Rooney has been very good, but I am concerned about his offensive potential. He's 29, and his best offensive season was in the AHL at ~.5ppg (slightly less). He wasn't an offensive player in college either, didn't even get close to .5ppg at Providence (hey, did he play with our fave boy Janko??)

Anyways, I like the player a lot, but I am not sure he's going to help Backlund and Coleman produce offense through the regular season, and some preseason offensive success is not a big step up.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:26 AM   #299
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also think Rooney has been very good, but I am concerned about his offensive potential. He's 29, and his best offensive season was in the AHL at ~.5ppg (slightly less). He wasn't an offensive player in college either, didn't even get close to .5ppg at Providence (hey, did he play with our fave boy Janko??)

Anyways, I like the player a lot, but I am not sure he's going to help Backlund and Coleman produce offense through the regular season, and some preseason offensive success is not a big step up.
Monahan was 9th among forwards last year, with 23 pts in 65 games (a 29 pt pace). That is pretty standard for any team's 9th forward.

Over the last 2 seasons, Rooney has played at an 18 pt pace. I would suspect that if he plays with Backlund and Coleman, he will likely be up in the mid 20s, at least. And the line will give up next to nothing, defensively.

Having said all that, I imagine Zohorna may end up being slotted there, with Rooney moving to the 4th line.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 11:37 AM   #300
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Mackey-Tanev

Hanifin-Andersson
Weegar-Tanev

Zadorov-Mackey
This second option gives you 2 interchangeable, elite pairs that can skate and move the puck with/against almost any players in the league. By Zadorov taking on a bigger role, Sutter likely means anchoring a pair vs just being there, and we can read into that however we want.

For me, considering waivers and career arcs, you need to get Mackey into NHL action or you might as well cut bait. He's proving more and more to be a capable and cheap 3rd pair defender that can also skate and move the puck. Maybe he even evolves into more with time. The best way to do this is for him to play the third pair under the guidance of Zadorov every day until Kylington returns.

It's up to Stone-Valimaki-Meloche to battle it out as the 7th and if it were me, I know I'd be signing Stone to a two way and starting him off roster (he's not playing anywhere else) so that at least initially, the Flames are only risking the loss of one of Valimaki or Meloche to waivers.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 10-04-2022 at 11:42 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game thread , offence from the defence , takoyaki