Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-14-2022, 09:21 AM   #1
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon47 2022-2023 CPHL Washington Capitals Thread

After going to the cup final I didnt think this offseason would be a challenging one to get motivated for. Losing in the final definitely leaves an empty feeling that is hard to explain. We have tried to maintain the path we were on which is continuing to build asset value while trying to be competitive.

Capitals drafted 4 times at the CPHL draft.I had more picks but were traded away as I was not happy with the draft depth in general. Also partaking in the CPHL Supplemental draft we added 6 more names that no one has ever heard off before (except for Doug maybe): Amadeus Lombardi, Connor Hvidston, Samuel Savoie, Alexis Gendron, Ben Hemmerling and Marek Alscher.

Our recent waiver claims of B.Coleman and E.Gudbranson has rounded out our roster. Our roster is set a little earlier than we would like as we wanted to partake in UFA Frenzy but we will be minor players this year.

Our team is built on a defence first mentality and dont have much offensive pizzaz. I am pretty confident in our teams ability to meet the goal of making the playoffs with the current roster. Unlike the last 2 offseasons where we scraped together a roster, I feel like this is a team that I assembled. We are a backup goalie away from being ready to let it rip.

Current Roster
A.Iafallo (71) - P.Danault (72) - B.Coleman (71)
K.Okposo (70) - M.Backlund (70) - J.Bailey (71)
Z.Sanford (68) - R.Faksa (68) - O.Sundqvist (68)
Z.Girgensons (66) - J.Beagle (66) - L.Glendening (68)

J.Edmundson (70) - S.Gostisbehere (70)
E.Gudbranson(69) - J.McCabe (70)
M.Staal (67) – D.Forbort (68)

T.Jarry (88)
XXXX (XX)

Scratches: M.Raffl (66), D.Mayo (66), A.Greene (66),N.Mikkola (66)
Currently in the AHL - J.Armia (68), T.Terry (71), T. Jeannot (70), T.Liljegren (70)

Lets go Capitas!
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 09:28 AM   #2
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Really great job claiming Coleman and Gudbransson. They seem to fit really well in your roster.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 09:44 AM   #3
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great job of proactively managing a team and slowly but steadily improving both the asset base and the ability to compete.
it can be done even when you are starting from a bad position. Just takes work. That's the game we are all playing. Active GMs build strong teams and organizations.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 10:29 PM   #4
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

It has been relatively quiet in the Capitals front office during the free agency as there werent many spots to be filled. However, I feel pretty happy with some of the moves that have been made.

Brought in Luke Kunin from Columbus, Justin Holl from Detroit, Alec Martinez from Buffalo via trade definitely help improve our roster. Signing Clutterbuck, Middleton, Tinordi and Tokarski helps round out the depth of the team.

There has been rumblings around the Capitals office about Joel Armia who is currently stuck in the AHL. There is some rumours that the coach wants to see the Armia, Iafallo and Danault line on the opening night line up as they were the key reason for the team going to the Game 7 of the Stanley Cup. There are also some rumours that Troy Terry isnt coming into the preseason game in form and therefore might not make the pro team.

Franchise depth has improved from last year which leaves guys like Liljegren, Jarvis, Terry, Jeannot in the AHL. It is quite a luxury to have rated players in the AHL able to provide the depth when needed during the season.

Current Roster
A.Iafallo (71) - P.Danault (72) - B.Coleman (71)
K.Okposo (70) - M.Backlund (70) - J.Bailey (71)
L.Kunin (69) - R.Faksa (68) - O.Sundqvist (68)
Z.Sanford (68) - L.Glendening (68) - J.Armia (68)

A.Martinez (74) - S.Gostisbehere (70)
J.Edmundson (70) - J.McCabe (70)
J.Middleton (68) – J.Holl (70)

T.Jarry (88)
D.Tokarski(77)

Scratches: Z.Girgensons (66), J.Beagle (66), C.Clutterbuck (66), M.Staal (67), N.Mikkola (66)
Likely to remain in the AHL - T.Terry (71), T. Jeannot (70), T.Liljegren (70)
Old 02-12-2023, 09:53 PM   #5
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Capitals season has been up and down. We started the season strong and it has been going backwards since then as we had been slipping down the standings. We slid all the way outside a playoff spot. Capitals have made some acquisitions to improve our roster for this season. The goal for the season has been and continues to be in the playoffs.

I thought that there wasnt enough grit in the forward ranks and ended up making 4 trades in the last 48 hrs to change up the forwards.

We ended up adding Malkin, Marchment and Hathaway and trading away Bailey, Parise, Glendening and Clutterbuck.

I think we are mostly done for now to adding but we might do some selective buying or selling depending on how the rest of the regular season goes.

Current Roster
A.Iafallo (71) - E.Malkin (73) - B.Coleman (71)
C.Dvorak (71) - P.Danault (72) - M.Marchment (70)
G.Hathaway (67) - R.Faksa (68) - C.Coyle (70)
Z.Sanford (68) - F.Gauthier (65) - J.Armia (68)

A.Martinez (74) - C.Fowler (72)
J.Edmundson (70) - N.Zaitsev (71)
M.Staal (67) – J.Holl (70)

T.Jarry (88)
A.Forsberg (83)

Last edited by BagoPucks; 02-14-2023 at 10:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2023, 08:18 PM   #6
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I didnt think Iwould be making many moves since our last post. However, since then I added C.McDavid, T. Myers, J.Braun, D.Forbort and C.Atkinson.

Its been such a wild ride for this team during the regular season. My goal to make the playoffs was achieved but the team seems to be backing into the playoffs with 2 back to back shutout losses.

I am super happy with the way the roster has turned out while managing to be fiscally responsible and also without selling the farm. I think the reason for that is that we are constantly looking and making changes to our team by signing and moving guys around. I dont like not having our first round picks for the next two years but having McDavid softens a little bit of that blow.

After improving on the teams points from last season and asset base, I think the team has taken strides with this franchise and its asset value. Lets see how the playoffs go. Go Caps!

Current Roster
C.Atkinson (73) - C.McDavid (82) - B.Coleman (71)
A.Iafallo (71) - E.Malkin (73) - M.Marchment (70)
C.Dvorak (71) - P.Danault (72) - C.Coyle (70)
Z.Sanford (68) - R.Faksa (68) - J.Armia (68)

J.Edmundson (70) - N.Zaitsev (71)
T.Myers (71) – J.Holl (70)

T.Jarry (88)
A.Forsberg (83)
Old 03-29-2023, 08:25 PM   #7
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty solid get in Atkinson. Especially at that contract!
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 07:42 AM   #8
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thank you the league commissioners for the tireless work and fellow GMs for making this a fun and exciting season.

Washington Capitals season came to an end after the Game 7 loss against Devils. A series in which we just couldn't find a way to take the lead in a convincing manner. As a GM I just never felt like we would win the series, it is a well built team in the sim by Pat.

Third season as the Capitals GM has come to an end I think we have made strides to improve the franchise asset base. Acquiring McDavid is the highlight of the season for myself. Another highlight is trading 10M last season for 16 M in the upcoming season. This sets up quite well to try to compete again for a 3 rd year in a row. The goal has always been to be competitive over numerous years.

Our focus now shifts to next year as we need to compete as we dont hold our 1st round Pick. I never really like the mix of our blue line this year and I am hoping it can have some change for next year. Our forward have improved since last season.

It is unlikely J.Edmundson, R.Faksa, J.Braun, B.Coleman and D.Forbort will return as UFA looms.

Roster going into the offseason and draft
C.Atkinson (73) - C.McDavid (82) - C.Dvorak (71)
A.Iafallo (71) - E.Malkin (73) - M.Marchment (70)
G.Hathaway (68) - P.Danault (72) - C.Coyle (70)
Z.Sanford (68) - xxxx - J.Armia (68)

T.Myers(71) - N.Zaitsev (71)
xxxx – J.Holl (70)

T.Jarry (88)
A.Forsberg (83)