Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2022, 03:47 PM   #1
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Dash Cam Recommendations

After an idiot almost took off my front bumper on Deerfoot today, I think I'm really to invest in a dash cam.

Looking on Amazon, there are plenty of products available with varying reviews and additional supplies needed ie. video card, adapter kit, etc. I figured I'd check here to see which ones you all use and whether you like/would recommend them. Would you also recommend a rear camera? I'd like a high quality picture, so in case like today I could get the license plate number.

Recommendations appreciated!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:53 PM   #2
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 04:52 PM   #3
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Linus' video is really only focusing on ~$100 cameras, and at that price point you are bound to get a lot of generic Amazon trash. Even with the same basic sensors, what the manufacturers need to bring to the table is processing and features, which is where Viofo, Thinkware, and Blackvue shine.

Vortex Radar did a good follow-up on the video:

For me, it came down to the Thinkware U1000 and the Viofo A129 Pro Duo, and the Viofo won.

The Viofo A119 v3 is the best bang for the buck dashcam at $135 from Amazon. We've installed it in my wife's car.

I have the Viofo A129 Pro Duo 4K, which has a true 4K front and 1080p rear camera, and that cost $324. I also added the hardwiring kit for parking mode ($29), and two polarization filters for the front and rear cameras at $29 a pop. So an extra $90 for the hardwire kit and polarization filters, plus you'll need a high endurance SD card (larger is better for card endurance and recording rollover).

Video quality review for Viofo, Thinkware, and Blackvue 4K cameras (including license plate capture):

Viofo A119 v3:
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 05:16 PM   #4
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also have a viofo, although mine is an A139. I really like the inside camera, sometimes it catches my niece and nephews being adorable and it's great at night as well as day

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:31 PM   #5
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I watched those same videos after watching Linus'. That 4K shootout is a good watch and really gives you an idea of what is realistic for capturing a license plate.

Lots of situations it's going to struggle but even some chance of getting it is better than no chance I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 06:08 PM   #6
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I also would recommend Viofo. I have two different ones though front and rear. They are connected to different power sources since I also have an outlet at the back of the car. For our 2nd car, I have a dual channel Aukey.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 06:27 AM   #7
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
For me, it came down to the Thinkware U1000 and the Viofo A129 Pro Duo, and the Viofo won.

The Viofo A119 v3 is the best bang for the buck dashcam at $135 from Amazon. We've installed it in my wife's car.

I have the Viofo A129 Pro Duo 4K, which has a true 4K front and 1080p rear camera, and that cost $324. I also added the hardwiring kit for parking mode ($29), and two polarization filters for the front and rear cameras at $29 a pop. So an extra $90 for the hardwire kit and polarization filters, plus you'll need a high endurance SD card (larger is better for card endurance and recording rollover).
Thanks so much for putting all this information together. I ended up ordering the VIOFO A129 Duo (front & rear). I had dinner with a friend not long ago who's in court right now with a trucking company (their insurance company) after being rear-ended by a semi in 2019. The drive is lying about what happened and that sealed the deal for the rear camera.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 09:45 AM   #8
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad it was helpful! Just be aware there are a few versions of the A129.

The base A129 is a 1080p camera and available in single and duo.
The A129 Plus is a 1440p front camera with an available 1080p rear camera.
The A129 Pro is a 4K front camera with available 1080p rear camera.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:09 AM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.amazon.ca/VIOFO-A119-160...7SRQH4R7&psc=1

This one has a lighting deal coming up tomorrow at 8am, last time it was $108. Looks like good value.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:57 AM   #10
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Do any of you dashcam users park outside overnight during winter? Is it recommended to bring the camera inside with you each time?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:50 PM   #11
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't, but if the camera is wired for parking mode then there is no reason the dashcam should not continue to work. 'Operating temperatures' are generally talking about at what temperature the device can begin operating from cold / off. If the device is already on, you should be okay.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 05:37 PM   #12
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone added a dashcam to their motorcycle?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:55 PM   #13
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Do any of you dashcam users park outside overnight during winter? Is it recommended to bring the camera inside with you each time?
My Thinkware came with the wiring harness. It records when it sees motion or 'feels' impact.
You can set voltage parameters where it shuts down camera operation if barrery voltage drops below x. I never had any winter issues when parking outside, but it's not nearly as cold here in general.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post: