Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:
Default Business travel backpacks

I was a laptop bag guy until a few years ago when I picked up a Swissgear travel backpack. It has served me well but it is time to retire it. Anyone have a good recommendation? I like something sturdy that holds its shape but not boxy. I don't want any wheels or retractable handles. It must zip down 90 degrees for clothes as well as laptops.

Osprey and Nomatic seem to top many of the business traveler lists. I don't mind spending more for a good backpack but I think I can get what I need for under $200?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don’t think you can go wrong with an Osprey. I got the farpoint 40 which is overhead bin compliant if that’s important. It has an internal frame as well as a separate section for laptop and documents. Just an all round well made bag. Mine I think was a bit more than your budget but if it’s like mine it will hold up. I usually don’t travel for work but when I actually was away for work for a week it worked great for me.
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

My last Ogio backpack has lasted me 18 years

At $159 USD, the Ogio Renegade RSS Laptop backpack is my recommendation

Lots of pockets, lots of cushions and padding for your electronics, and even a suspension for your laptop so it doesn’t get damaged when you drop it

Check out the other specs too

https://www.ogio.com/backpacks/reneg...pr4704946.html

Last edited by Scorch; 11-11-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Nomatic changed my life. Out of my cold dead hands!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://www.swissgear.ca/en/warranty-repairs

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #6
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can never go wrong with a Herschel bag, they work for a variety of purposes and are super high quality... I love mine.

https://herschel.ca/
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #7
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've always liked Timbuk2's stuff, but I don't know if they have anything that fits your requirements.

https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/work-backpacks

MEC carries some of their stuff, not sure where else in town does.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I second the Ogio renegade. Under $200 at amazon.ca. I have 2 Ogio Backpacks, so practical.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 12:28 AM   #9
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
You can never go wrong with a Herschel bag, they work for a variety of purposes and are super high quality... I love mine.

https://herschel.ca/
Aesthetically non-offensive, and fit in with the hordes of MRC/UofC freshmen, yes — spot on.

High quality? No. I’ve had a few.

Get an InCase.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:51 AM   #10
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure if it would qualify as "business," but I really like my Mystery Ranch mission rover.

https://www.mysteryranch.com/mission-rover-bag
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #11
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also picked up a Nomatic and its the best backpack I've had by miles.

Seems built to last as well to justify the high cost somewhat.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Aesthetically non-offensive, and fit in with the hordes of MRC/UofC freshmen, yes — spot on.

High quality? No. I’ve had a few.

Get an InCase.
Nah, Herschels are high quality, good looking bags. My gym bag has now lasted for three years, and it gets beaten up like crazy. Not sure what you're doing to make yours fall apart so quickly; mine is incredibly durable.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #13
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Nah, Herschels are high quality, good looking bags. My gym bag has now lasted for three years, and it gets beaten up like crazy. Not sure what you're doing to make yours fall apart so quickly; mine is incredibly durable.
Their duffels are also basic. A two pocket essential, speaking to their M.O.

Their sell is simply a build on aesthetic, to the established, yet boring Eastpak & Jansport lines, + 50% retail.

Herschel had their play 5-10 years ago, but high quality, utilitarian is what they are not. You won’t find a serious bag in their lineup. That’s not their target.

Just look how their bags have evolved over the years. Partner collabs, sports branding & a new spring/fall print. Functionality development? Aesthetic only.

Like I said before. Check InCase.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #14
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Their duffels are also basic. A two pocket essential, speaking to their M.O.

Their sell is simply a build on aesthetic, to the established, yet boring Eastpak & Jansport lines, + 50% retail.

Herschel had their play 5-10 years ago, but high quality, utilitarian is what they are not. You won’t find a serious bag in their lineup. That’s not their target.

Just look how their bags have evolved over the years. Partner collabs, sports branding & a new spring/fall print. Functionality development? Aesthetic only.

Like I said before. Check InCase.
What do you mean a 'serious' bag? If anything, a gym bag would be considered a 'serious' bag, since it's usually the one that gets thrown around and beaten up the most. I don't 'beat up' my laptop bag, including while traveling, in the same manner that I would throw my gym bag around.

Anyways, that's my opinion - he should go for a Herschel. If your opinion is to go for an InCase, that's great, and that's your opinion.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #15
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or spend half and buy a Jansport or Eastpak
Old 11-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #16
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

+1 on Timbuks, great travel backpacks for work
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #17
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I've always liked Timbuk2's stuff, but I don't know if they have anything that fits your requirements.

https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/work-backpacks

MEC carries some of their stuff, not sure where else in town does.
I travel a lot and am a bit obsessed over good backpacks, which is why I have 10 of them or so, all sizes from very small and fancy to large and rugged.

Another vote for Timbuk2; but more specifically, for Timbuk2 Launch Pack. Regular price at MEC $139, but they do go on sale periodically. I've got mine on amazon.ca for $89. Just add it into your shopping cart and wait until the price goes down. An excellent combination of practicality, usefulness, looks, lightweight and size. I suggest checking it first at MEC to ensure you like it, of course.

Also, another vote against Herschel - they may look fancy to some; but I tried them and thought they would be very impractical for business travel. As an engineer, I hate it when practicality is sacrificed to looks. But that might not be a deterrent for artsy types.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 11:41 PM   #18
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Herschel are pretty durable for what they are, but I agree I don't think they fit OP's criteria. Herschel's designs lately seem much more minimal and lightweight. No matter how good quality they are, they're at a disadvantage against a true rugged and comfort designed backpack with padding etc.

I've borrowed the Timbuk2 before and I think it is an excellent value bag. Leans more towards academic than business looks wise as a bag IMO, but performs quite well. I'd love to acquire another one for more casual use, but I honestly don't really use backpacks anymore for day to day stuff and my MEC backpack which I used for school and now for hiking is still going strong after 22 years. I also have specific hiking backpacks I nabbed in Asia that have been going strong for about 11-13 years (Musou) which have perfect slots for travel. IMO, extra large/wide zippers are one of the biggest keys in ensuring a backpack lasts a really long time.

There's definitely a ton of good suggestions for backpacks in this thread, but one thing that always gets to me, is that many of these backpacks don't really look truly "professional". Ogio for instance, is a great bag I've used before. But I've seen people trek them in for business purposes and its one that especially looks odd beside business wear. This isn't an issue if you're an engineer or something that can get away with more casual looking clothing + backpack, but if you are a legitimate full business type person (finance, law, accounting etc.) many of these bags always looks out of place IMO.

I'm assuming OP is the latter though and doesn't have to worry as much about looks as Swissgear bags IMO have looks similar to the Ogio bags IMO. The main bags that I've run into that seem to lean far better as a business looking backpack are select Samsonite backpacks and it's still a hit or miss design wise as well as quality, durability, features etc.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #19
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing screams fresh grad or IT analyst like a laptop backpack!

If its for flights / actual travel, you get a pass while in transit. Other than that, its a paddlin'
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #20
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goyard Citadin messenger bag. Anything else screams proletariat.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote